Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Anecdotal time , back in December I had to visit supermarkets and buy up around 1000 packets of various brands of porridge , i wasn't wiping stores out but when you start filling a trolley with 30 packets of porirdge , you get a few things happen  .... 1) is people laugh at you and say " you must really like porridge"  , 2) people would say " are you stocking up for Brexit " and 3 , people would head to the porridge counter and buy a load of packets for themselves  , almost as if to say what does he know that I don't    ... this isn't limited to porridge i have to do a similar project on other food goods and they pretty much follow the same 3 patterns 

just seems to be human nature I guess

Like the time I purchased a load of discounted gateaux and sponge cakes from Waitrose and some scruffy looking southerner helped himself to one out of my trolley. 

General public just don't know how to behave in a crisis. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

A 26 year old doctor died in China, without being weak/sick. 

I’m sure there are many around the globe likewise , but every death case in the U.K. so far has been reported as having “underlying medical conditions  “.. if they all had the same condition that might be useful for people to know 

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Unfortunately Italy is happening everywhere. Look at Spain. Our numbers are heading exactly the same way and we will be where Italy are in the next couple of weeks maybe worse given our inaction.

I totally understand most of us will be fine but that doesn't take away from the fact that a lot of people won't be.

I don’t think it is Mark. From everything I’ve read it is almost a worst case scenario. There’s hundreds of countries, they aren’t all like Italy, yet some have been closer to the epicentre both geographically and in people movement.

We might be where Italy are. But we might not.

I agree with your closing sentence. I wasn’t taking away from that, just providing some hopeful ideas.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There's more than enough money going into the NHS mate. It's regulation and management which is the problem. Like managers of trusts on £180k a year and doing 2 days a week.

But this is a subject for another thread entirely.

This 100% there are so many middle managers who do the square root of F all in the NHS. At the fag shelter constantly, not signing in so they can leave when they like, hiding away in offices with their favourite staff etc. Yep it all goes on regularly, my partner has worked under some of these people.... 

The Guardian is also running with the story that Trump is paying a German firm to ensure the US gets exclusive use of any vaccine developed.

I know there is going to be a lot of misinformation out there at the moment but if true it would be a new low for him.

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Like the time I purchased a load of discounted gateaux and sponge cakes from Waitrose and some scruffy looking southerner helped himself to one out of my trolley. 

General public just don't know how to behave in a crisis. 

I hope you went there after being on the beer in Flints, an you didn't just go in there for cakes.

matt le blanc friends GIF

Hope you've noticed i'm the one still bringing comedy in this all depressing thread.

Edited by foreveryoung

That’s after a week of isolation and the numbers are still rocketing. Considering the Italian health service has twice the ventilation capacity of the NHS, you can appreciate why Hancock’s looked like a frightened rabbit during his appeal to UK industry this morning.

Cameron / Osborne and May / Hammond are responsible, but the music’s stopped on Johnson’s watch & he’s going to carry the can - or rather, get buried by it. 

No point doing the risk assessments and gap analysis, then following policies that exacerbate the problem. 

11 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

When the world is going to s**t, you get told you’ll be working from home for the foreseeable and your holiday gets cancelled, there really is only one thing to do.

Buy a Pupper! 

Meet my new isolation buddy. I pick him up next week. 

45AD802E-8649-4EFF-8996-CCE418D59720.jpeg

Apologies if it comes off as being a ****, but if it gets really, REALLY bad it might be worth Googling what happened to Britain's pets in 1939. The results aren't nice. 

Like I say - I don't mean this in a dick way. My 75 year old mother drives across town twice a day to feed her two horses. And if the supposed next step of the plan stops her from doing that, the grief of losing them will probably do for her, let alone the virus risks. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don’t think it is Mark. From everything I’ve read it is almost a worst case scenario. There’s hundreds of countries, they aren’t all like Italy, yet some have been closer to the epicentre both geographically and in people movement.

We might be where Italy are. But we might not.

I agree with your closing sentence. I wasn’t taking away from that, just providing some hopeful ideas.

Italy is currently at 400 cases per million people - I think it's very likely we'll reach that level of infection - whether the proportion of those that die reach the same levels as Italy is questionable, but it's also almost unimportant - there are projections with thousands of cases per million people in countries where the infection exists, maybe ten times the rates we're seeing currently in Italy - we're at the beginning of this and I think to view Italy as the worst case scenario is unfortunately a very optimistic view.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

That’s after a week of isolation and the numbers are still rocketing. Considering the Italian health service has twice the ventilation capacity of the NHS, you can appreciate why Hancock’s looked like a frightened rabbit during his appeal to UK industry this morning.

Cameron / Osborne and May / Hammond are responsible, but the music’s stopped on Johnson’s watch & he’s going to carry the can - or rather, get buried by it. 

No point doing the risk assessments and gap analysis, then following policies that exacerbate the problem. 

The only thing I will say about that is traditionally the elders of the family live at home with the rest of the family in Italy. Unlike here where we have care homes and people living at home rather than with family. They think this is major reason why Italy is so bad, as the kids are carrying it home passing it to grandma and grandad and them getting Ill and dying. Obviously it's not the complete story but very different to many countrys.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Italy is currently at 400 cases per million people - I think it's very likely we'll reach that level of infection - whether the proportion of those that die reach the same levels as Italy is questionable, but it's also almost unimportant - there are projections with thousands of cases per million people in countries where the infection exists, maybe ten times the rates we're seeing currently in Italy - we're at the beginning of this and I think to view Italy as the worst case scenario is unfortunately a very optimistic view.

It was intended to be an optimistic view if you read the Post in which I first mentioned it. 
The whole of what I posted to Mark was to present the hopeful side. There’s plenty of the opposite everywhere.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think it has been suggested that he died due to the amount of exposure he had to the virus.

Yeah, 47 year old doctor over here gone today too. The mortality rate definitely gets lower the younger you are but it doesn't seem to disappear.

1 minute ago, leighavfc said:

The only thing I will say about that is traditionally the elders of the family live at home with the rest of the family in Italy. Unlike here where we have care homes and people living at home rather than with family. They think this is major reason why Italy is so bad, as the kids are carrying it home passing it to grandma and grandad and them getting Ill and dying. Obviously it's not the complete story but very different to many countrys.

And significant elderly population. And high proportion of smokers.

Of course we could be as bad, or far worse.

But it isn’t inevitable.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Then she knows that the idea the NHS has plenty funding is utter garbage 👍

I'm in the middle of this, I think it is underfunded but there is a hell of a lot of money drained and wasted in so many ways unnecessary. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

There is definitely a discarded monkey's paw somewhere in an unpacked box in Downing St. and a cackling, wizened mystic somewhere in a Middle Eastern marketplace. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Haha 1

Just now, terrytini said:

And significant elderly population. And high proportion of smokers.

Of course we could be as bad, or far worse.

But it isn’t inevitable.

Demographics in the UK aren't radically different to here.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I've got friends in Oz and the panic seemed to be going around there a good few weeks back

Yeah. Aussie bog roll centres are made in China, and they were freaking out that they wouldn't be able to get any bog roll because of a potential import ban, or something. Then nobbers here....(ours are made in Yurp)

• Like 1

Â