Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I went into Tesco just now for some juice , milk and bread

had a look on the shelves and toilet paper aisle empty , Pasta shelf empty and Asprin/ paracetamol empty ... you could buy some ibuprofen and everything else looked pretty well stocked , so it does suggest people are being guided by Facebook on what they are stock piling

as per snowy , I did pickup a few bars of Toblerone , just in case things get a bit dicey out there , they can always serve as Mother’s Day presents next week if I don’t eat them  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Washing your arse with water is a glorious thing. Jug of water, two sheets of paper for blotting and soap to wash your hands. 1 roll will last you for ages and you’ll be clean and fresh. 

• Like 1

A 59 year old man is one of those who has died in UK. His wife has released details and his underlying health condition was that he had a heart attack 10 years ago so had issues but just shows you can be relatively young.

33 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes same here. My mom is 75 (dad died 18 years ago) and brother who has kidney issues.  I don't have a clue obviously but you sense this will wipe out millions if we don't get a grip on it. 

Don’t lose heart mate.

Theres other possibilities....warm weather might help, might help a lot......the use of unproven vaccines on seriously ill patients could throw something up......the initiative of the many ( not those we see on Facebook in pubs and airports) in self isolating will play a part.

Every disaster/war looks hopeless at the start........

We will produce more ventilators, more medicine. Those that get ill and recover will help keep things going.

If Italy hadn’t happened, whilst we would all still rightly be worried and careful we would be less frightened, and Italy hasnt happened everywhere.

And, finally, it remains the case that the evidence suggests most who get it will get over it.

I share your fears but just wanted to share my hopes 👍

• Like 2

Frozen vedge seems to be sold out as well. Plenty of empty shelves in Sainsburys today.  Will probably all be full again by midweek when deliveries come in. Do people then go again? I don't get it.  

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

A 59 year old man is one of those who has died in UK. His wife has released details and his underlying health condition was that he had a heart attack 10 years ago so had issues but just shows you can be relatively young.

I Can’t see anything about what his underlying issues were on the stories I’ve seen ,  but , I’ve been wondering about this as all they seem to be saying is “x died but had underlying health issues”

it would probably be useful to know what these  other issues were so we can help protect those that have  them  ...  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

tbf to VT regulars who use mumsnet  , I've got friends in Oz and the panic seemed to be going around there a good few weeks back , i think it just spread by natural de-selection of social media  , mumsnet probably just followed many other social media type outlets in spreading it

Anecdotal time , back in December I had to visit supermarkets and buy up around 1000 packets of various brands of porridge , i wasn't wiping stores out but when you start filling a trolley with 30 packets of porirdge , you get a few things happen  .... 1) is people laugh at you and say " you must really like porridge"  , 2) people would say " are you stocking up for Brexit " and 3 , people would head to the porridge counter and buy a load of packets for themselves  , almost as if to say what does he know that I don't    ... this isn't limited to porridge i have to do a similar project on other food goods and they pretty much follow the same 3 patterns 

just seems to be human nature I guess

It started in Australia but Australia imports its toilet paper from factories in China so there was a fear that supply chains would break down. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The thing is, with the increasingly likely prospect of enforced isolation for many - the "nutters" buying up all our loo roll and pasta might just be right. They're still nutters and the behaviours we've seen in our supermarkets are appalling - but right now, having enough food and loo roll to last you a few weeks "just in case" isn't the dumbest thing you can do - it might be quite the opposite.

2 of the many golden rules in life.

1. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2. If in doubt, don't be a massively selfish dickhead.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I Can’t see anything about what his underlying issues were on the stories I’ve seen ,  but , I’ve been wondering about this as all they seem to be saying is “x died but had underlying health issues”

it would probably be useful to know what these  other issues were so we can help protect those that have  them  ...  

A 26 year old doctor died in China, without being weak/sick. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

And maybe, just maybe, when it’s over we might have a public who demand paying more tax to fully fund a Health /Care Service that can handle these things, rather than low tax to buy more Holidays and Takeaways.

Crazy idea, I believe it was suggested that those taking home more than 82k a year should probably pay a teeny percentage more tax, up to a few percent more for the stupid rich. Then instead of having a health service run to be hovering around breaking point it woudl be possible to have one with more than 2 beds per thousand people, and ventiltors, and doctors and nurses nd shit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

When the world is going to s**t, you get told you’ll be working from home for the foreseeable and your holiday gets cancelled, there really is only one thing to do.

Buy a Pupper! 

Meet my new isolation buddy. I pick him up next week. 

45AD802E-8649-4EFF-8996-CCE418D59720.jpeg

Just remember a puppys for life not just for Corona Virus😆

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

When the world is going to s**t, you get told you’ll be working from home for the foreseeable and your holiday gets cancelled, there really is only one thing to do.

Buy a Pupper! 

Meet my new isolation buddy. I pick him up next week. 

45AD802E-8649-4EFF-8996-CCE418D59720.jpeg

The Andrex puppy? I suppose you can wash him afterwards so that’s one problem solved. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

A 26 year old doctor died in China, without being weak/sick. 

The size of the dose you receive has a bearing on how well your body will deal with it. Doctors and nurses in China were getting exposed day after day from dealing with sick patients until they upped their PPE. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Don’t lose heart mate.

Theres other possibilities....warm weather might help, might help a lot......the use of unproven vaccines on seriously ill patients could throw something up......the initiative of the many ( not those we see on Facebook in pubs and airports) in self isolating will play a part.

Every disaster/war looks hopeless at the start........

We will produce more ventilators, more medicine. Those that get ill and recover will help keep things going.

If Italy hadn’t happened, whilst we would all still rightly be worried and careful we would be less frightened, and Italy hasnt happened everywhere.

And, finally, it remains the case that the evidence suggests most who get it will get over it.

I share your fears but just wanted to share my hopes 👍

Unfortunately Italy is happening everywhere. Look at Spain. Our numbers are heading exactly the same way and we will be where Italy are in the next couple of weeks maybe worse given our inaction.

I totally understand most of us will be fine but that doesn't take away from the fact that a lot of people won't be.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the BBC reporting of the numbers uses the most appropriate wording:

"Italy has reported 368 more coronavirus deaths, a new one-day record."

Record makes it sound like it's an achievement to be lauded.

We don't talk about the highest death toll for other things in terms of records, do we? Shipman killed 250 people a new record for a doctor in the UK.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

It’s been widely stated it’s primarily respiratory illness, heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Although, of course, anything which weakens the immune system will increase risk.

Ive suffered with three of those and when I had the flu a couple of years back I was very ill. For 3 weeks I only got out of bed for the loo. Lost a lot of weight. Fevers, the lot. But...

..it WAS bearable. So for those who have not experienced it, if you aren’t made critically ill, so if you are one of the 80% who get infected but “ just” get ill.....it’ll be tough but ( in my view) you’ll get through ok.

If it helps to share these things.....I also had a Pulmonary Embollism ( blood clot) in my twenties that broke off from the vein in my leg, went through my heart and lodged in my lung. Had a bigger piece broke off - kaput.

I can say the resulting pain from trying to breathe was unbearable. It began in the morning, and by the time I was trying to pick up the phone next to my bed I couldn’t. The strain of moving made it impossible. When the girlfriend got in at 6pm she called an ambulance, I was rushed to hospital and put on a drip. It was touch and go.

Two days later I was well on the way to recovery, albeit with a partially collapsed lung.

So, again, take heart.....we are built amazingly well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Crazy idea, I believe it was suggested that those taking home more than 82k a year should probably pay a teeny percentage more tax, up to a few percent more for the stupid rich. Then instead of having a health service run to be hovering around breaking point it woudl be possible to have one with more than 2 beds per thousand people, and ventiltors, and doctors and nurses nd shit.

There's more than enough money going into the NHS mate. It's regulation and management which is the problem. Like managers of trusts on £180k a year and doing 2 days a week.

But this is a subject for another thread entirely.

• Like 1

Â