Generic Virus Thread

villakram

We are a young family 28, 32 with a 6 and 2 year old - therefore (according to the government) highly unlikely to be very ill with the virus. My mom is self isolating herself, with me just dropping shopping off and not coming indoors. The in-laws are in Lithuania. 

Are we to live our lives as normal? If we catch it then contributing towards the herd immunity. This strategy surely works on many "fit people" catching it. 

Or do we self isolate as much as possible? Minimising contact with the outside world. That said if everyone self isolates there won't be herd immunity.

I wish those in charge (the CMO, not the government) would come out and be blunt. 

An example of my Bi-polar nature to this conundrum was this weekend. Saturday we went to Sealife center, Sunday we battened down the hatches and didn't leave the house. What am I supposed to do! 

Edited by pas5898
I cant spell

6 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

We are a young family 28, 32 with a 6 and 2 year old - therefore (according to the government) highly unlikely to be very ill with the virus. My mom is self isolating herself, with me just dropping shopping off and not coming indoors. The in-laws are in Lithuania. 

Are we to live our lives as normal? If we catch it then contributing towards the herd immunity. This strategy surely works on many "fit people" catching it. 

Or do we self isolate as much as possible? Minimising contact with the outside world. That said if everyone self isolates there won't be herd immunity.

I wish those in charge (the CMO, not the government) would come out and be blunt. 

An example of my Bi-polar nature to this conundrum was this weekend. Saturday we went to Sealife center, Sunday we battened down the hatches and didn't leave the house. What am I supposed to do! 

Just go along as normal until told otherwise.

I'm not being horrible or trying to offend, but all this panic/dilly-dallying is doing my nut in.

• Like 1

Just read this post on social media. It has the chilling ring of truth. 

10'000 people tested a day would take 18 years in the UK. 
93 years in the U.S.  

Simple maths no one seems to be doing.  
Therefore its a redundant measure and anyone could become infected the next day.  
Personal test kits will take months to manufacture and distribute. 

Self isolating everyone would take the planet to economic meltdown in a matter of weeks.  

A labour force is required non stop to keep the wheels turning, the lights on and food stocks resupplied an water flowing. 

A vaccine would take at least a year to be manufactured and distributed to 7 billion people. 

The pandemic is no longer the issue though.  

Therefore the global economy and reliance on foreign trade is the most important issue now.  

Unfortunately the most in need of help in society cannot help with that.  

The point of herd immunity was never to protect life of all, but to survive the economic meltdown that will occur if we encounter mass infected all at once.  

The revelation that law enforcement will be effective now as part of the contingencies act is a step towards Marshall law curfews, stop civil unrest as much as it is to help slow the spread.  

Sadly, if mass infection occurs an age limit would have to be imposed in order to choose who to treat so as not to waste resources of a limited health service.  This would have been in effect in China certainly.  
 Evidence of it did make the media as a chemotherapy patient was turned around at a checkpoint and sent home. 
 Too many staff would be required to treat her, she would not live out anyway if infected.  
Thats a simple triage assessment.   

Panic buying usually is the precursor to looting and civil unrest that leads to social breakdown.  Contingencies acts also deals with this.  (Threats of arrest now circulating in the media and Spanish police witnessed yesterday curfewing people on the streets) 

If you think i'm being blunt, well this is exactly what would have been discussed at the Cobra meetings and possibly lead to Boris telling the public to expect lots more deaths.  

Its a catch 22 situation, if we run into economic meltdown, the public will move to civil unrest.  Anarchy ensues. Everything collapses.  

If we isolate everyone, we run into economic meltdown... 

If we go for herd immunity, the weaker population will possibly not survive but the economy survives.  

If we prioritise the weaker population by forced isolation then the rate may slow but they may become infected at a later stage anyway without herd immunity a vaccine or personal test kits.  

There is no easy answer to this.  

No health service globally is set up to care for millions of sick at the same time who need a specific isolation treatment.  
 The UK's health service staff is approx 1/50th of the population and they are not immune to this either like say, a doctor dealing with injured earthquake victims would be.  

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Im in a small town in Spain and theres a lot of fear mongering going on. We have the military on the roads now along with our 3 branches of police checking paperwork for the reason you would be outside. We are under quarentine for the next 2 weeks but they are saying they will extend that and are not allowed to leave the house unless to do the following.

: to work,take the dog for a walk, go to  hairdresser, supermarket, drycleaners, tobaconist, petrol station or the bank. 

its quite ridiculous, people have emptied shelves and fear is doing more damage than the flippin illness.

These measures are only to try and stop the curve of the spread of the virus. However if you are in good health you really have little to worry about. 

All bars, restaurants ect are closed and this is going to surely cause another recession. 

:

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just read this post on social media. It has the chilling ring of truth. 

Overreaction. It's possible to reduce the risk of infection by having the percentage of the population that can work at home do exactly that. Some people (doom preppers) seem to use this as some sort of vindication for their hoarding and panicking. There are countries who have managed this situation well and in these places you see that they now have control over the situation (Denmark, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Thailand) and then you have places like Britian and US who think that they are going to solve things by not telling people to be sensible and allowing major events to continue.

At this moment in time this infection isn't even on par with a seasonal flu, and if we're all sensible with how we operate over the coming months we'll have bought enough time for the vaccination programmes to have immunised the most vulnerable. It's not about testing or vaccinating 83 million people like the poster is talking about, it's about helping the people that need it. Once the people at risk are helped the rest of us can deal with 2 weeks off work with a flue like illness which by all accounts is less hard on the body than a normal flu.

In the 2017-18 flu season alone over 26.000 people died from the normal influenza in the uk. The numbers we're seeing right now aren't a major uplift to those so let's be smart but cautious about this and not panic.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Who's Marshall, and why is his law so important?

A common mis-spelling of 'martial law'. I suspect it's due to confusion with the post-WWII 'Marshall Plan". 

EDIT: Also, because not everyone is familiar with the word 'martial', i.e. military (derived from Mars, the god of war). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Overreaction. It's possible to reduce the risk of infection by having the percentage of the population that can work at home do exactly that. Some people (doom preppers) seem to use this as some sort of vindication for their hoarding and panicking. There are countries who have managed this situation well and in these places you see that they now have control over the situation (Denmark, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Thailand) and then you have places like Britian and US who think that they are going to solve things by not telling people to be sensible and allowing major events to continue.

At this moment in time this infection isn't even on par with a seasonal flu, and if we're all sensible with how we operate over the coming months we'll have bought enough time for the vaccination programmes to have immunised the most vulnerable. It's not about testing or vaccinating 83 million people like the poster is talking about, it's about helping the people that need it. Once the people at risk are helped the rest of us can deal with 2 weeks off work with a flue like illness which by all accounts is less hard on the body than a normal flu.

Where are you getting that from?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Where are you getting that from?

Page 50.

Influenza kills people. It has killed a lot of people and will keep killing a lot of people. over 22000 over 65's died of influenza in 2017 in the UK. As of now corona isn't on par with the agressive flu seasons of 16-18.

Edited by magnkarl

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Page 50.

Influenza kills people. It has killed a lot of people and will keep killing a lot of people. over 22000 over 65's died of influenza in 2017 in the UK. As of now corona isn't on par with the agressive flu seasons of 16-18.

Yep

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yep

Yep. And with caution and calm we'll ride this disease off too, and just like normal influenza it'll sadly affect people who are already weakened. If we can buy enough time for our health services to help these people by being mindful with our habits it should not become the world ending event that some people seem to think it'll be.

5 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Page 50.

Influenza kills people. It has killed a lot of people and will keep killing a lot of people. over 22000 over 65's died of influenza in 2017.

I'm with you on this.

There is an almost blanket ban on anyone reporting that people with the virus are mainly suffering with a heavy cold like symptoms, and its not mentioned at all how this compares to other similar viruses. Its always pushed as worst case scenario. I'm pleased the UK leaders are sticking to their criteria for lockdown and not panicking. If the NHS is coping, and there is no mass spread occurring then keep going as long as absolutely possible. The rest of the world are making it easier for us to maintain levels of normality by isolating themselves from us.

35 minutes ago, RobSpain said:

to work,take the dog for a walk, go to  hairdresser, supermarket, drycleaners, tobaconist, petrol station or the bank. 

Why do people need petrol if they’re confined to their homes?

Â