Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, romavillan said:

Yeah, 47 year old doctor over here gone today too. The mortality rate definitely gets lower the younger you are but it doesn't seem to disappear.

It doesn’t disappear there is a wealth of data on the deceased and it includes people in their thirties and forties.

But people in those age groups have underlying health conditions too...and they arent always known.

It must be remembered that for a percentage of people ( and I may be one so I’m not minimising it) the virus is ‘simply’ bringing forward a date that wasn’t too far off already.

People with underlying health conditions were going to die every week, and they still are, so some of the numbers are these people.

It doesn’t make it ok, but it is part of seeing the whole picture, not just the worst thoughts.

An overconcentration on the individual stories can only really cause extra anxiety....there is little context.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Demographics in the UK aren't radically different to here.

True, but they are different. Again, there is research on the issue that  things I’ve mentioned MIGHT make a difference, which is all I’m saying.

Having posted one post to point out some reasons for hope I’m starting to get bogged down in several debates with people who are telling me the negative side - of which I’m fully aware and have Posted on quite a bit.

Not wishing to have those debates - no future in them other than despair - I will bow out 👍

19 minutes ago, Awol said:

That’s after a week of isolation and the numbers are still rocketing. Considering the Italian health service has twice the ventilation capacity of the NHS, you can appreciate why Hancock’s looked like a frightened rabbit during his appeal to UK industry this morning.

Cameron / Osborne and May / Hammond are responsible, but the music’s stopped on Johnson’s watch & he’s going to carry the can - or rather, get buried by it. 

No point doing the risk assessments and gap analysis, then following policies that exacerbate the problem. 

Does it suggest that isolation not necessarily a solution in all scenarios? It’ll be crippling the economy and not offering much in the way of a solution. 
I wonder why it’s being so ineffective in Italy?

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

It doesn’t disappear there is a wealth of data on the deceased and it includes people in their thirties and forties.

But people in those age groups have underlying health conditions too...and they arent always known.

It must be remembered that for a percentage of people ( and I may be one so I’m not minimising it) the virus is ‘simply’ bringing forward a date that wasn’t too far off already.

People with underlying health conditions were going to die every week, and they still are, so some of the numbers are these people.

It doesn’t make it ok, but it is part of seeing the whole picture, not just the worst thoughts.

An overconcentration on the individual stories can only really cause extra anxiety....there is little context.

The whole thread is bit scaremongering to be honest. Yes we need to be super aware, but there are 2 or 3 posts on the vaccine that may be coming, the rest is as good as telling us to run for our lives and all our grandparents will die if we don't look after them.

Think we need to calm down a bit, influenza kills if you have underlying health conditions, remember the swine flu, refrigerated trucks outside hospitals for the dead. The truth of it is the governments do not want another flu type virus every year as it will cost the economy £££££££££.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Will the EU be expected to bail out half of Europe and stop them going bankrupt? 

Dare I say it.... bullet dodged?

Bullet dodged only on January 1st 2021 I guess... providing we actually leave by then!

Just now, leighavfc said:

Bullet dodged only on January 1st 2021 I guess... providing we actually leave by then!

Not having to pay a slice of the bailout funds will probably be a good incentive to get out on time.

I hope Germany and France have deep pockets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Does it suggest that isolation not necessarily a solution in all scenarios? It’ll be crippling the economy and not offering much in the way of a solution. 

I’m leaving the thread but...

one reason that’s been posited is that they had a specific guy in the worst affected region who was ill all through January, in and out hospital but not diagnosed. By the time they identified him he’d had weeks of spreading the virus, to an elderly close knit population.

Which of course could happen anywhere . But might not .

Ditto the Hotspot in the USA - a Care Home. It’s pretty logical that if you get a insular group, then one infected person could cause chaos ....especially if the people aren’t the healthiest.

So, it’s one thing lots getting it, but lots getting it over a long period should be the norm. It won’t prevent massive hotspots, and those hotspots may provide the bulk of the deaths.

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'd imagine it is being effective and the numbers without it would be catastrophic.

• Like 2

Interesting twitter thread detailing the effects the virus has had on this lads wife, mid 30's and floored by it.

Also the below video is from a doctor who has now recovered from the virus, in her 60's and described as a worse version of the flu. Paracetamol seem's to be the only thing that helps and it's mostly a case of riding it out if possible. Those vulnerable really need to try and isolate themselves going forwards as this could seriously affect them.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If I have to close the bar, I'm not sure I'll be able to reopen it. **** this.

Hold back on submitting taxes etc., all the big companies/in the know will be doing this to keep afloat while this passes. Hopefully some form of tax relief or direct subsidy will be passed as barring food producers, every other sector of the economy will be affected and most are being hit with a sudden stop and likely U-shaped recovery.

2020 will be remembered!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Interesting twitter thread detailing the effects the virus has had on this lads wife, mid 30's and floored by it.

Scary reading

As someone who suffers with asthma, its a tough read. I've had 'normal' flu twice in the last couple of years (after not having it for years) and it flattened me. 

Luckily I'm WFH for the foreseeable and don't need to leave my apartment for a while now after stocking up today. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Scary reading

As someone who suffers with asthma, its a tough read. I've had 'normal' flu twice in the last couple of years (after not having it for years) and it flattened me. 

Luckily I'm WFH for the foreseeable and don't need to leave my apartment for a while now after stocking up today. 

I was the same flu wise, hardly ever had flu. But the last 2 years, even the strain of flu I had was pretty hard on me. The flu I had just before Christmas lasted fully around 2 months before it was completely gone, an I have no health issues. Very strange, and does make you wonder what the **** is going on lately.

Â