Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I would like to think that the same day they announce mandatory injections, we burn down Westminster.

That from someone that has happily voluntarily had my vaccination.

It was only a hypothetical, I don’t support it at all but I was wondering what would realistically happen if not enough people had it? I know we are well on course for herd efficacy but in a situation where there isn’t enough numbers taking it the virus would spread out of control again and thousands more people will die. I reckon even the most careful, scared and diligent people simply will not partake in another lockdown so what happens without a mandatory vaccination or lockdowns forever?

Edited by Ingram85

16 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

It was only a hypothetical, I don’t support it at all but I was wondering what would realistically happen if not enough people had it? I know we are well on course for herd efficacy but in a situation where there isn’t enough numbers taking it the virus would spread out of control again and thousands more people will die. I reckon even the most careful, scared and diligent people simply will not partake in another lockdown so what happens without a mandatory vaccination or lockdowns forever?

Enough people are just about sensible enough to have it. In that situation though it is what it is, people who have it are protected and people who don’t risk dying.

Edited by a m ole

17 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

In that scenario, lethal disease and no uptake of the vaccine, well we have a lot of people dead and we muddle on through it.

If there is a vaccine and people don’t want it we can’t permanently postpone normal life for them so they will have chosen to take their chances, I guess.

I’d expect, that once they see what a leaisure centre doubling as an overflow mortuary looks like, many would relent and get the jab. If they didn’t, well you still couldn’t send the army in to their houses to inject them.

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If there is a vaccine and people don’t want it we can’t permanently postpone normal life for them so they will have chosen to take their chances, I guess.

Just playing Devils advocate here, but what about the sensible people who have done the right thing but end up dying of something else because they can't get into hospital due to those anti-vax twonks leaving them overrun. 

It's a serious problem.  There is already going to be a massive unreported death toll from the pandemic from people who have died from other things.  We have a backlog of 4.7m medical procedures now.  Anti-vax knobbers are going to take up resources hampering that recovery. 

More innocents will die. 

46 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just playing Devils advocate here, but what about the sensible people who have done the right thing but end up dying of something else because they can't get into hospital due to those anti-vax twonks leaving them overrun. 

It's a serious problem.  There is already going to be a massive unreported death toll from the pandemic from people who have died from other things.  We have a backlog of 4.7m medical procedures now.  Anti-vax knobbers are going to take up resources hampering that recovery. 

More innocents will die. 

Yep, absolutely more people would die in the mass anti vax scenario.

Perhaps those Dragon hospitals they set up would need to be brought back for the non-vaccinated, to stop them stinking up the proper hospitals for people that have had the vaccination. I’d prefer a vax passport giving you ‘enhanced’ access to hospitals and treatments than the alternative of police and army holding people down whilst they are injected by the state.

I’m more of a nudge sort of person than a pin him down and inject him sort of person.

I think it’s legitimate once everyone has had the chance of taking the vaccine to then discriminate against people that have chosen not to. Once we’ve all had the option, why would we allow people that have declined the vaccine to work in sensitive areas where they could be risking others? I’m thinking hospitals and care homes off the top of my head. No way should we forceably inject care workers, but we can limit their access to the frail and vulnerable.

They can work in the leisure centre overflow mortuary.

But this is all very much extreme doomsday scenario. 

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Just wondering, which bit doesn't make sense?

Bickster has already pretty much answered for me in that 4k in a 90k seat pretty much outdoor venue seems on the low side. I wouldn't expect them to go with the 30k/the 33% they have at the crucible but I think 10-15k would have been more of a trial you can get something worthwhile from. I am not sure what putting 4k people into a 90k seater stadium tells you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not sure what putting 4k people into a 90k seater stadium tells you. 

presumably they're only in (or one part of) one stand? - so really the percentage is against stand capacity, not ground capacity? I mean you wouldn't open up all the catering outlets, toilets and the rest for 4000 people in Wembley.

I guess there's also the consideration of the concourses and bar areas etc. Plus the tube station...

Seems like a reasonable number for a first go at it. Hopefully they can double then treble etc in short order.

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Without wishing to speak for Mark, the bit that makes no sense to me is the 5% outdoors, 33% indoors. I appreciate the numbers are different but 300 odd out of 1000 is apparently fine indoors but 4000 out of 90,000 seems a tad on the careful side to be honest. I can accept that because Wembley is 90k that the percentages shouldnt be the same but I think the total could still be safely much higher in a semi-outdoor setting

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Bickster has already pretty much answered for me in that 4k in a 90k seat pretty much outdoor venue seems on the low side. I wouldn't expect them to go with the 30k/the 33% they have at the crucible but I think 10-15k would have been more of a trial you can get something worthwhile from. I am not sure what putting 4k people into a 90k seater stadium tells you. 

Yep, agreed. Didn't read it properly.

• Like 2

Anyone here had a reaction to the Astra jab?  Had mine yesterday and my temperature hasn't been below 38 since about 7 last night.  I had covid over Christmas and I don't remember it feeling this bad.   

Just now, dubbs said:

Anyone here had a reaction to the Astra jab?  Had mine yesterday and my temperature hasn't been below 38 since about 7 last night.  I had covid over Christmas and I don't remember it feeling this bad.   

I had that one (also had covid) and I was really crappy for 24 hours, slight panic as it felt like COVID but it faded after 24 hours. Paracetamol and orange juice my friend. Hope you feel better soon.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I had that one (also had covid) and I was really crappy for 24 hours, slight panic as it felt like COVID but it faded after 24 hours. Paracetamol and orange juice my friend. Hope you feel better soon.

Cheers mate.  I'm hitting it with paracetamol and flavoured water.  Hope this is gone by tomorrow.  I'd be interested in hearing how the 2nd jab affects people.

• Like 1

Just now, dubbs said:

Cheers mate.  I'm hitting it with paracetamol and flavoured water.  Hope this is gone by tomorrow.  I'd be interested in hearing how the 2nd jab affects people.

My friend has their second and was fine, first was bad though. Can’t wait for this to all be over. Get better soon 😊

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I had it last week, had the standard side effects like achey limbs, headache and those feverish chills. Didn’t sleep too well and was tired the next day but it didn’t last much longer than that, and wasn’t enough to stop me doing everything I wanted to. 

The nurse told me that the first jab is the worst, so hopeful jab 2 doesn’t cause much fuss. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dubbs said:

For 24 hours I was bloody awful. Considered if it was worth it but then decided yes, on balance it was. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I haven’t tested positive for COVID or felt unwell at all for the last year so I’m assuming I haven’t had it, especially as my wife was part of an antibody test trial and didn’t have any Coronavirus antibodies prior to her jab in mid March and, given our very close proximity, it’s likely she would have if I had been asymptomatic.

After my first AZ jab I went to bed feeling fine but, 12 hours after the jab, I woke up with a temperature. My temperature remained between 38 and 39C for 72 hours and I felt a bit weak. No other pain or discomfort, I just needed to take it easy for 3 days. I felt fully fit again after 4 days and 5 weeks later I’m still good.

Research has shown this is fairly common with younger people as their immune system reacts more aggressively than those over 60. On the upside, research also shows reactions to the second AZ dose are very rare or minimal (apparently the opposite to the first and second doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech jab).

Benefits to the general population aside, at 51, I’d still rather have a mild temperature and feel a bit weak for a few days than risk a COVID infection, it’s likely symptoms and the possibility of infecting others.

• Like 1

My wife’s sore arm has finally passed. It took a good 5-6 weeks for the sensitivity around the injection site to ease.

”Covid arm” appears to be more prevalent with Moderna according to tinternet but she had AZ. All’s well now, obviously less of a problem than catching the virus!

Hoping my jab is soon. 

1 hour ago, brommy said:

After my first AZ jab I went to bed feeling fine but, 12 hours after the jab, I woke up with a temperature. My temperature remained between 38 and 39C for 72 hours and I felt a bit weak. 

Research has shown this is fairly common with younger people as their immune system reacts more aggressively than those over 60.

It still slightly worries me that I had zero reaction to AZ#1. I keep thinking it hasn't worked properly. 

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It still slightly worries me that I had zero reaction to AZ#1. I keep thinking it hasn't worked properly. 

My dad (76) has had  doses and took an antibody test which he says showed zero antibodies.

I suspect he didn't do the test properly (was a home test) of it was a faulty test.

My mum said he seemed quite proud of it :blink:

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I don’t think you should worry. The research shows many people don’t have a reaction and from what I have read, whatever the reaction is, the protection provided is very similar.

• Like 1

Â