Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I'll be nice. State mandatory vaccination is monstrously authoritarian. The state determining what goes into your body is a step too far.

The relatively low number of people who do not wish to be vaccinated is low and poses no significant risk either to themselves or anyone else. Even with no vaccination, there's a low percentage chance of seriously being ill or dying from Covidfungus.

I'll play. 

How do people feel about denying treatment to people that got sick, if they chose to not get vaccinated by a vaccine the public health care offered. I know in the world of privatised healthcare that's different, but both you and us got NHS variants. 

If so. Does that mean fat people should not be treated for health issues related to that, because they chose to ignore NHS advice on nutrition, working out and avoiding smoking? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'll play. 

How do people feel about denying treatment to people that got sick, if they chose to not get vaccinated by a vaccine the public health care offered. I know in the world of privatised healthcare that's different, but both you and us got NHS variants.  

I was wondering how USA were dealing with this. I presume they are not charging their citizens to have the vaccine so are they sending private doctors and nurses into the community to administer the vaccines?

10 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'll play. 

If so. Does that mean fat people should not be treated for health issues related to that, because they chose to ignore NHS advice on nutrition, working out and avoiding smoking? 

What about a free lobotomy for the wilfully stupid?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, blandy said:

I'll be nice. State mandatory vaccination is monstrously authoritarian. The state determining what goes into your body is a step too far.

The relatively low number of people who do not wish to be vaccinated is low and poses no significant risk either to themselves or anyone else. Even with no vaccination, there's a low percentage chance of seriously being ill or dying from Covidfungus.

I completely agree with everything you've said here.

It just pisses me off that there's some kind of misguided legitimacy in the anti-vax movement. It's based on ignorance and self importance. And despite willfully putting others at risk there's no repercussions.

If enough people don’t want it to the point where overall efficacy is affected then for the greater good could it be made mandatory? They keep saying the magic number is around 80% but what if only 65% of the population are willing to take the vaccine? 

4000 fans being allowed into Wembley today (under 5% of capacity) in a trial scheme to look at getting fans back into stadiums. Trial scheme already underway at the crucible (indoors) allowing 33% of capacity. Just another in the long list of things that doesn't make sense around covid.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

If enough people don’t want it to the point where overall efficacy is affected then for the greater good could it be made mandatory? They keep saying the magic number is around 80% but what if only 65% of the population are willing to take the vaccine? 

I was wondering that. However, I think we'll get 80% (in the UK). 

33 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

We're already at 62% having a dose of the vaccine.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 11.05.11.png

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

59 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I completely agree with everything you've said here.

It just pisses me off that there's some kind of misguided legitimacy in the anti-vax movement. It's based on ignorance and self importance. And despite willfully putting others at risk there's no repercussions.

36 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

4000 fans being allowed into Wembley today (under 5% of capacity) in a trial scheme to look at getting fans back into stadiums. Trial scheme already underway at the crucible (indoors) allowing 33% of capacity. Just another in the long list of things that doesn't make sense around covid.

Apparently a lot of people running trial events are being targeted by the anti-vax community with threats and hate online.  I think that should be taken as seriously as racism and terrorism so these people are tracked down and taken to task. 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I would like to think that the same day they announce mandatory injections, we burn down Westminster.

That from someone that has happily voluntarily had my vaccination.

I thought I recognised the picture @chrisp65posted in the rogues gallery 

guy-fawkes.jpg

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Just wondering, which bit doesn't make sense?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

It might be to do with the number of people travelling to and from the venue.  A few hundred vs several thousand.  Plus when you're trialling opening things up again it's useful to have tried different things to get more data and compare them.

29 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Just wondering, which bit doesn't make sense?

Without wishing to speak for Mark, the bit that makes no sense to me is the 5% outdoors, 33% indoors. I appreciate the numbers are different but 300 odd out of 1000 is apparently fine indoors but 4000 out of 90,000 seems a tad on the careful side to be honest. I can accept that because Wembley is 90k that the percentages shouldnt be the same but I think the total could still be safely much higher in a semi-outdoor setting

• Like 3

Â