Generic Virus Thread

villakram

https://www.newsweek.com/covid-19-deniers-event-leaves-host-dead-12-infected-1583553

COVID-19 Deniers Event Leaves Host Dead, 12 Infected

A leading Norwegian conspiracy theorist who denied coronavirus was a dangerous disease has died from the virus after hosting two events at his property.

Hans Gaarder, 60, was found to have tested positive for COVID-19 after he died from the virus on April 6, just days after he hosted an illegal gathering in Gran municipality, around 40 miles north of the Norwegian capital Oslo.

Gran municipal chief physician Are Løken said the preliminary autopsy report confirmed his death was due to having the deadly virus.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

There is a worrying study in Manaus in the Amazon where it seemed over 70% of the population had covid antibodies in December judging from blood donors, but they've still had a big spike recently.  Added to the amount of young people in ICU in the country it's a bit worrying that it goes against what we seem to know about the virus over here.  There are still a lot of unknowns out there and things can change rapidly.  

Antibody testing is not reliable. PCR testing is only somewhat better.

2 hours ago, brommy said:

Perhaps risk analysis should be on the general education curriculum.

Yep, should go along with critical thinking in the general studies A level, if that still exists. Except it needs to be taught at GCSE level.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How the hell did you manage that? The measles and mumps is a decision usually taken out of your hands as its the parents who do it on behalf their kids 

Unless the parents are idiots. 

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned the bad way AstraZeneca was treated would lead to problems. 

History is not going to look back kindly on how Governments have dealt with this. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/14/world/europe/western-vaccines-africa-hesitancy.html

Western Warnings Tarnish Covid Vaccines the World Badly Needs

Amid a deep residue of mistrust, American and European cautions on the AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines risk igniting anti-vaccine fervor in countries that can’t afford to be particular.

Safety worries about the AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines have jeopardized inoculation campaigns far beyond the United States, undercutting faith in two sorely needed shots and threatening to prolong the coronavirus pandemic in countries that can ill afford to be choosy about vaccines.

In Malawi, people are asking doctors how to flush the AstraZeneca vaccine from their bodies. In South Africa, health officials have stopped giving the Johnson & Johnson shot, two months after dropping the AstraZeneca vaccine. And in the Democratic Republic of Congo, 1.7 million AstraZeneca doses have gone unused.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Dante_Lockhart nothing I will say is going to change your mind so I won’t bother. I just hope you stay lucky and yourself, others around you and anyone you may come into contact with stay safe, lucky and virus free. If (unfortunately) you’re going this route then please be careful bud not only for yourself but for everyone else too. I don’t want the vaccine, no one does but I’d hate to be asymptomatic and inadvertently make someone unwell or worse 😟.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I bloody do! 

I mean in the sense that people would rather Covid didn’t exist so that we don’t need the vaccine. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Dunno mate, been pretty healthy for nearly 40years bar common colds and a bit of sinus congestion.

I have never had any vaccines either. Just over 40...

And, not that there is a correlation, but I also haven't ever been seriously ill. My parents, in my youth, both worked in hospital. My mum was a trained dietician (I'm contractually obliged to note here the difference between dietician and nutrionist or my mother disowns me!). The parents view was very much 'get dirty' and 'eat healthily'.

They are not, however, completely anti-vax and have been jabbed in the last month odd. It's called critical analysis and freedom of choice. Posters suggesting not blindly following the majority is idiotic scare me, it's a small step to losing all freedom of choice. Beer is dangerous - you're idiotic for drinking it or buying your newly 18 year old family member their first pint; we'll ban it as freedom of choice shouldn't be allowed.

Some times you make the right decision, some times you make the wrong decision but, ultimately, as long as it's your decision then that should be sufficient in most cases (people refusing vaccine doesnt impact on others as they can still get theirs). Not the same thing at all, but if you don't critically analyse and question then you get thalidomide babies, or if you take endless antibiotics then all germs become resistant - you decide what the risk is on a societal and then personal level.

Edit; for note, before I'm attacked, I will eventually have the jab. Can't say it's for any reason other than the desire to get on a plane though!

Edited by jackbauer24
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Nope. No medication. Generally I think pretty healthy. I've never had the flu jab and don't intend to. Obviously in dire situations if antibiotics are required I'll take them. I'm not against modern medicine by any means - but if I don't feel that I need 'outside assistance' medically then I won't do so just because. I'm a big advocate of the immune system.

But... isn't that how a vaccine works? By effectively showing your immune system a little bit of it so it knows how to fight it so if you get the real thing it's prepared.

It's like training for your immune system

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I have never had any vaccines either. Just over 40...

And, not that there is a correlation, but I also haven't ever been seriously ill. My parents, in my youth, both worked in hospital. My mum was a trained dietician (I'm contractually obliged to note here the difference between dietician and nutrionist or my mother disowns me!). The parents view was very much 'get dirty' and 'eat healthily'.

They are not, however, completely anti-vax and have been jabbed in the last month odd. It's called critical analysis and freedom of choice. Posters suggesting not blindly following the majority is idiotic scare me, it's a small step to losing all freedom of choice. Beer is dangerous - you're idiotic for drinking it or buying your newly 18 year old family member their first pint; we'll ban it as freedom of choice shouldn't be allowed.

Some times you make the right decision, some times you make the wrong decision but, ultimately, as long as it's your decision then that should be sufficient in most cases (people refusing vaccine doesnt impact on others as they can still get theirs). Not the same thing at all, but if you don't critically analyse and question then you get thalidomide babies, or if you take endless antibiotics then all germs become resistant - you decide what the risk is on a societal and then personal level.

Edit; for note, before I'm attacked, I will eventually have the jab. Can't say it's for any reason other than the desire to get on a plane though!

But beer is awesome so it’s a risk/reward thing. Flying let’s you travel to places. Driving makes our lives much easier.

There’s no upside to Covid that I’m aware of.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

It's called critical analysis and freedom of choice.

Not attacking. I think 'freedom of choice' hits the nail on the head as to why folks see it this way. There is so much choice these days and so much personal freedom that I suppose we are used to it and will apply that standard to everything in life - but with a vaccine in a pandemic it becomes not only about the self but also about the people you live amongst, I mean that is the nature of vaccination, that you need to vaccinate enough people to prevent them from catching it themselves - but also so those that cannot be vaccinated are also protected. I know two people who cannot be vaccinated and who have had to shield, one a mum, one a 7 year old, it has made their lives very difficult  - nonetheless they all need others to have a vaccine if they are to rejoin the world anytime soon - months after everyone else has had their freedoms restored. So I think my point is, freedom of choice is good - but moments like this are possibly once in our lifetimes and the usual reality and rules do not apply. 

• Like 1

Â