Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I think we need to wait for the peer review on this one

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/covid-brain-clot-astrazeneca-vaccine-b1831876.html

Covid eight times more likely to cause rare brain clot than AstraZeneca vaccine, study finds

The Covid-19 risk is higher than seen with the current vaccines, even for those under 30,’ says study co-author

The risk of developing a rare brain clot from Covid-19 is about eight times greater than vaccination with the AstraZeneca-Oxford jab, according to a new study.

Researchers at the University of Oxford, who are not linked to the vaccine, also found that people infected with coronavirus are “manyfold times” more likely than normal to develop the rare clotting disorder, known as cerebral venous thrombosis (CVT), where blood clots in the veins that run from the brain.

“There's no doubt that Covid is a much greater risk of this [condition] than any of the vaccines,” said Professor Paul Harrison, a co-author of the study.

The research, which has yet to be peer-reviewed, compared the rate of CVT among more than 500,000 Covid-19 patients in the US with data from the administration of 34 million AstraZeneca doses across Europe.

For Covid-19, the incidence rate of CVT stands at 39 cases per one million people, the study showed. But for a million people who receive the AstraZeneca vaccine, there will be just five cases of CVT over a two-week period.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, limpid said:

So the tiny bit of data that you have produced are not relevant.

On what data have you drawn your conclusion about the AZ vaccine's safety? Is it simply that you have found a coincidence to be scary? I can understand that.

No, I'm not sure you understand. I used 8-10 as a yardstick for brain hemos in general. In this context you actually need to look at the rarity of the combining illnesses. That's why it's so deadly. Which is why your initial post doesn't hit the mark for me. 

Link

A study by Oxford University found the number of people who receive blood clots after getting vaccinated with a coronavirus vaccine are about the same for those who get Pfizer PFE and Moderna MRNAvaccines as they are for the AstraZenecaAZN vaccine that was produced with the university's help. According to the study, 4 in 1 million people experience cerebral venous thrombosis after getting the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, versus 5 in 1 million people for the AstraZeneca vaccine. The risk of getting CVT is much higher for those who get COVID-19 -- 39 in a million patients -- than it is for those for get vaccinated.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

People still talking about covid vs AZ vaccine lol. I give up. Call me when you understand there are other vaccines out there that are better. 

Call me when you can get one before thousands are dead instead of 4

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Interesting.  There ARE also statistics backing up clots in the other vaccines.  But like I said this needs peer reviewing.  No one is frankly going to believe anything from Oxford about an Oxford vaccine right now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-15/risk-of-clots-higher-with-covid-than-after-vaccine-study-says

Risk of Clots Higher With Covid Than After Vaccine, Study Says

The risk of blood clots among those who’ve been diagnosed with Covid-19 is higher than among those who’ve received vaccines against the disease, according to a new study from the University of Oxford.

Covid patients saw a clot risk of 39 in a million. That compared with four in a million in mRNA vaccines like those developed by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE or Moderna Inc., and five in a million people after AstraZeneca Plc’s vaccine. Though the analyses for the three vaccines are based on different data sets, making comparisons difficult, the study suggests that the risk of a clot among those with the disease is about eight to 10 times higher than after vaccination.

“All the evidence we have is that risks of Covid are so much greater than whatever the risks of the vaccines might be,” Paul Harrison, professor of psychiatry at Oxford and one of the study’s authors, said in a briefing. “And unfortunately you might think you’re not going to catch it, but I think everybody would agree there’s a risk of catching Covid in the current climate.”

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Obviously it’s completely your choice.

You can tell me it’s none of my business if you want, but do you take any other regular medication for existing conditions? 
Did you ever look into or become concerned about potential for side affects? I don’t think people generally do. We trust that our GP or Consultant has weighed up the risks on our behalf when prescribing.

1 in a million chance of a blood clot is probably far less risk than many of the drugs people are taking everyday without a second thought. As has been said, it’s far less risk than many activities like taking a flight or trip in the car.

It’s just funny how something gets tagged a “dangerous” or “ineffective” when in reality it’s incredibly good all things considered. Shaking that label off is very hard once it’s been attached (because as I said, there’s a new distrust of experts).

Nope. No medication. Generally I think pretty healthy. I've never had the flu jab and don't intend to. Obviously in dire situations if antibiotics are required I'll take them. I'm not against modern medicine by any means - but if I don't feel that I need 'outside assistance' medically then I won't do so just because. I'm a big advocate of the immune system.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Why?

Oxford vaccine being panned around the world and suddenly Oxford come out with a study saying it's probably not do do with their vaccine. 

You don't think there will be a lot of suspicious people? 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But then it comes back to what are the chances of catching Covid and what are the subsequent chances of falling ill with it, then subsequently the chances of falling seriously ill........all versus actively volunteering to have the vaccine jabbed into you.

Well if a person has a 1 in 8 chance of catching Covid then that would imply that the chances of catching Covid and getting a blood clot from it are the same as getting a blood clot from a vaccine.

I would guess that the chances of catching Covid are higher than 1/8, but I can’t be sure - although 4.4 million people in the uk have already been confirmed to have caught it so that would probably be enough to back up my assumption.

And of course I’m only talking about blood clots here. That’s not even factoring in the much greater risks of Covid having an affect in the ways that we more commonly hear about.

Edited by fightoffyour

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

Nope. No medication. Generally I think pretty healthy. I've never had the flu jab and don't intend to. Obviously in dire situations if antibiotics are required I'll take them. I'm not against modern medicine by any means - but if I don't feel that I need 'outside assistance' medically then I won't do so just because. I'm a big advocate of the immune system.

Measles, mumps, rubella, TB, tetanus, you never had any of those? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm a big advocate of the immune system.

The immune system is absolutely amazing. If only we could find a way to focus it on certain things it could start a revolution. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Link

IF accurate it wouldn't surprise me at all - everyone has had it in for the Oxford jab ever since they insisted on selling at cost price in order to help poorer countries - the US has especially avoided using it since the get-go and will happily put it down at any opportunity. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Look man, it's cool to be a Jehova Witness. 

• Haha 3

One can choose to see these round figures relative to COVID or not but In any aspect of life, enduring a 1 in 10,000 monthly risk of death whilst waiting for a 1 in a million risk of death ‘cure’, instead of immediately taking the 1 in 800k risk cure, doesn’t make sense.

It’s as though some consider the AZ to be deeply flawed whilst the alternative vaccines are perfect. The real life numbers don’t indicate either.

Perhaps risk analysis should be on the general education curriculum.

• Like 4

Â