Recruitment

TRO

39 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

They've sold players for over inflated fees, of course. That is a skill in itself. Their Sporting Director Michael Edwards deserves a very big pat on the back and a huge bonus for getting relatively big money for dross like Ibe and Solanke. Coutinho was their star player but they made sure they fleeced Barcelona for every last penny they had - again very good work. 

We usually buy players at a premium but have very few examples of selling them on for profit. 

Success can be made to look very easy indeed. Unfortunately we make it look stupidly complicated by being an absolute shambles at buying and selling players. 

Liverpool have a helping hand in fetching good fees for there players due to the media love in with them.

Every young player they have is the next best thing which ups the price - and of course the media love to report that Liverpool haven't spent billions in the transfer market - they've been saying it for 40 years !!!!

10 hours ago, Mantis said:

Clearly recruitment was a huge issue, but I hope that doesn't deflect attention away from Smith.

It will.

but as Wes says...."its so darn simple"

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not with you around mate, don't worry.

So you don't want any new players in the summer? Think this lot are good enough?

Just need an old school manager to whip them into shape 😉

On 01/07/2020 at 16:18, VillaFaninLondon said:

We usually buy players at a premium but have very few examples of selling them on for profit. 

Success can be made to look very easy indeed. Unfortunately we make it look stupidly complicated by being an absolute shambles at buying and selling players. 

I cannot argue with this and It is true.

The last time I remember us being savvy in this way was the time we sold  Ash Young, Milner and Downing all for atleast double what we paid for them...

But this is going back almost 10 years ago. - In that time the club has changed ownership twice and yet we continue to still sign players largely that we seem to only lose money on and hire mediocre managers that see's the club continue to yo-yo with the managerial merry go round still set at 2-3 years!

It about high time we got a grip as a football club and stopped being the Circus that we have been since 2012.

• Like 2

On 01/07/2020 at 22:30, Tomaszk said:

Not with you around mate, don't worry.

So you don't want any new players in the summer? Think this lot are good enough?

New players are a must have as soon as possible to replace alot of these. The problem of ASAP is that ASAP is going to take a very long time to accomplish with Investigations. The blame game will be going backwards and forwards no doubt. If i were the Owners for all the money NSWE have spent, you would want answers with a swift axe swing with intentions of behaving very much like Deadly Doug would of. No second chances, no next season where ever we are, find better to make sure theres less chance these problem do not reoccure. 

I think until the game of Cluedo has been complete and the (who done what scenario) has been sorted, there is no point what so ever in even signing anyone new, or we will just sign more of the same and waste more mills.

I have heard the CIA,FBI have there fingers in our club transfers, its that secret. The rumours that there is a secret alien base called Area 61 under Villa park is swirling. If you ask the American government who is signing these aliens into our football team, its starting to feel like there is some truth out there. These aliens have come to our planet to learn to play football, you will find the American president Wes Edans not only deny the secret base under VP, but that he is also involved in the secret test facility, he will deny hes the USA president as well and will not see one drop of media coverage of this secrecy, make no mistake we are in the fight of our lives not from relegation but from an alien invasion.

We have found ourselves in a spectacular scenario where no one knows what the bloody hell is going on it seems. No one has the balls to own up to the cock ups in fetching in at least ten or possibly more very abysmal players. Luiz and Mings being the exception it seems from the new signings.

No fight, no heart, no determination, just a lack of everything where our players have been slain in the press nearly every week since season start, even more so by us fans because we have defended them way to much at the start and gave them the benefit of the doubt all to much.

It makes me sick that we cant seem to get a collective effort on the go, where they all go out and perform, they dont seem bothered or at least it doesnt look like they are bothered in trying to keep Villa up. The club that gave most of them there big chance and break is on the verge of being sent packing down and being reduced to a skeleton crew due to having to sell. The only hope we have from that point on is that whatever money we get from the sales is that we reinvest very wisely but I doubt we will learn from this experience at all because truth doesnt seem to be a priority around our club at the moment and that is sadness to me. It seems that once again we are being took for a joke by the people in charge and the Owners have failed to head it off and sort it out before it got this bad.

Looks like 21 years of crap is going to hit the doors of VillaPark without any clarity on how to solve the mess made by players, staff and Owners, I am not impressed with them all.

Survive or fall, I expect a few heads to roll over this recruitment failure, when that many players who have been unable to perform and underperformed way to much throughout a season, someone has severely took the piss and I want whoever or how many are involved gone..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I cannot argue with this and It is true.

The last time I remember us being savvy in this way was the time we sold  Ash Young, Milner and Downing all for atleast double what we paid for them...

But this is going back almost 10 years ago. - In that time the club has changed ownership twice and yet we continue to still sign players largely that we seem to only lose money on and hire mediocre managers that see's the club continue to yo-yo with the managerial merry go round still set at 2-3 years!

It about high time we got a grip as a football club and stopped being the Circus that we have been since 2012.

I personally felt we got less for Young than what we may have got, I think he had one year left on his contract and Man Yoo paid £17mil, if he'd been tied down to a longer contract we may have got £25mil or even £30mil I think. We got good fees for Milner, Downing and also Benteke, but reinvested the money badly - either on players who weren't good enough, or players with talent that just never performed in a Villa shirt despite being at their peak. Players like Ireland and N'Zogbia, proven PL quality and coming into their prime when they arrived, were absolutely woeful in a Villa shirt. 

I agree, it's very sad the way we have gone as a club. Some of the people on this forum maybe don't feel it if they've only started following Villa in the last few years, but we shouldn't be this yo yo team that we've become. Usually new owners sort out the problems associated with the past, teams like Southampton, Newcastle and West Ham have been relegated but have re-established themselves as PL clubs. Or Monaco and Villareal on the continent who went down but came back to be really strong teams. We're on our second owners in just four years as you say, but still haven't eliminated the rot that set in under Lerner. 

12 hours ago, Dave-R said:

New players are a must have as soon as possible to replace alot of these. The problem of ASAP is that ASAP is going to take a very long time to accomplish with Investigations. The blame game will be going backwards and forwards no doubt. If i were the Owners for all the money NSWE have spent, you would want answers with a swift axe swing with intentions of behaving very much like Deadly Doug would of. No second chances, no next season where ever we are, find better to make sure theres less chance these problem do not reoccure. 

I think until the game of Cluedo has been complete and the (who done what scenario) has been sorted, there is no point what so ever in even signing anyone new, or we will just sign more of the same and waste more mills.

I have heard the CIA,FBI have there fingers in our club transfers, its that secret. The rumours that there is a secret alien base called Area 61 under Villa park is swirling. If you ask the American government who is signing these aliens into our football team, its starting to feel like there is some truth out there. These aliens have come to our planet to learn to play football, you will find the American president Wes Edans not only deny the secret base under VP, but that he is also involved in the secret test facility, he will deny hes the USA president as well and will not see one drop of media coverage of this secrecy, make no mistake we are in the fight of our lives not from relegation but from an alien invasion.

We have found ourselves in a spectacular scenario where no one knows what the bloody hell is going on it seems. No one has the balls to own up to the cock ups in fetching in at least ten or possibly more very abysmal players. Luiz and Mings being the exception it seems from the new signings.

No fight, no heart, no determination, just a lack of everything where our players have been slain in the press nearly every week since season start, even more so by us fans because we have defended them way to much at the start and gave them the benefit of the doubt all to much.

It makes me sick that we cant seem to get a collective effort on the go, where they all go out and perform, they dont seem bothered or at least it doesnt look like they are bothered in trying to keep Villa up. The club that gave most of them there big chance and break is on the verge of being sent packing down and being reduced to a skeleton crew due to having to sell. The only hope we have from that point on is that whatever money we get from the sales is that we reinvest very wisely but I doubt we will learn from this experience at all because truth doesnt seem to be a priority around our club at the moment and that is sadness to me. It seems that once again we are being took for a joke by the people in charge and the Owners have failed to head it off and sort it out before it got this bad.

Looks like 21 years of crap is going to hit the doors of VillaPark without any clarity on how to solve the mess made by players, staff and Owners, I am not impressed with them all.

Survive or fall, I expect a few heads to roll over this recruitment failure, when that many players who have been unable to perform and underperformed way to much throughout a season, someone has severely took the piss and I want whoever or how many are involved gone..

Bravo Dave.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I really don’t know why recruitment has been so chronic for so long. Under various owners and strategies it has been awful. 

In saying that, it doesn’t justify us giving up like we have in this window. 

Who’s given up?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I really don’t know why recruitment has been so chronic for so long. Under various owners and strategies it has been awful. 

You know 0% or near enough 0% of what's going on. I'm not sure that's good enough to make a sound judgement. Maybe that's just me. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

With all due respect can I point out that this window is still open and will be for another 5 weeks.

54 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Are you a fan of gothic music or Emu’s or whatever they call them now

• Haha 1

It's a tough market this summer. Season is completely out of sync and clubs are being impacted by covid in different ways.

I have no issue waiting a few more weeks for 2-3 difference makers turning up. If we have to start the season with the present squad so be it, they did o.k when it mattered in the run in.

However if all we get at end of window is 4-5 players no matter than what we got last summer then big questions will have to be asked as to why we struggle to get in players who can get us to mid table.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's a tough market this summer. Season is completely out of sync and clubs are being impacted by covid in different ways.

I have no issue waiting a few more weeks for 2-3 difference makers turning up. If we have to start the season with the present squad so be it, they did o.k when it mattered in the run in.

However if all we get at end of window is 4-5 players no matter than what we got last summer then big questions will have to be asked as to why we struggle to get in players who can get us to mid table.

Agreed. I get it's  tough to get players in and the market is generally quiet at the moment, but that argument is getting less and less valid everyday. I don't for one second believe we're not trying our hardest to get high quality players in, but we do seem to be struggling to sell the idea we're not a relegation club. One marquee signing and that could all change, but that's where I see us at the moment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Are you a @screwdriver and @villalad21 joint venture? 

Idk if our recruitment has been that bad. I think it’s also been a case of failing to get the most out of players. Many players have struggled here and gone on to show they’re very capable; Veretout, Amavi, Gollini, Traore. Even players who weren’t necessarily bad have been shipped off on the cheap and been solid elsewhere like Lowton and Westwood. 

• Like 1

Â