Recruitment

TRO

I'm trying to stay positive but its becoming harder. 

Yes the window is open longer but if we get off to a bad start and players take half a season to settle then it could really hurt us. 

To not resolve the striker situation by this point is poor and its looking like desperation. 

I doubt wilson was a number 1 target and yet we are failing to bring him in. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yes the window is open longer but if we get off to a bad start and players take half a season to settle then it could really hurt us. 

To not resolve the striker situation by this point is poor and its looking like desperation. 

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Carrying On, 50 years later

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Signing players once the season starts may also prove harder. By the time deadline day rolls around clubs will have played 4-5 games already. If one of our targets gets off to a great start and nails a few assists and a goal are they going to be sold? If they are sold will they be sold at the initial price, or will the selling club jack up the price? Buying players will get so much harder once the season has been going for a few weeks. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If that was the case then a week either side wouldn't change much. 

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I get your point but it is important to get these transfers done early.

Look at how quickly and efficiently Chelsea have gone about their business.

Chelsea is a shocking example to hold us to. Not one other club has matched them and they are rorters, filthy rich and have huge pulling power. Fine for Top 6 club fans to complain about lack of signings relative to them but for us just delusional

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

It’s thread resurrection time! :wave: B) :P

I was just thinking back to when a fair few people last season were asking whether any of our 2019/20 signings would have increased in value. But while looking for those posts I came across this thread, berating our recruitment.

Sometimes I think it’s good to take a step back and maybe see how some of us can be very impatient and negative. I don’t mean to point score or poke fun, btw, I just came across this thread and the first few pages tickled me, so thought others might enjoy it too (as we sit in our lofty 2nd place, with it admittedly being VERY ‘early days’).

For what it’s worth, I think the following players have significantly increased in value:

Konsa, Mings, Luiz, Trezeguet

I also think that Targett, El Ghazi, Guilbert and Nakamba will have either retained their value or increased slightly. Largely down to them now being ‘experience Prem players’.

Wes, Engels and Heaton are the only three I can think of that might have decreased in value.

• Like 3

I'd agree Konsa and Luiz definitely increased significantly, think Mings slightly and Trez worth about what we paid.

Personally don't think we would get back what we paid for Nakamba or El Ghazy (12m and 9m respectively was it?). Don't know what we paid for Guilbert and Targett id say is worth about what we paid upfront (11m).

37 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

I'd agree Konsa and Luiz definitely increased significantly, think Mings slightly and Trez worth about what we paid.

Personally don't think we would get back what we paid for Nakamba or El Ghazy (12m and 9m respectively was it?). Don't know what we paid for Guilbert and Targett id say is worth about what we paid upfront (11m).

It was more like £9m for Nakamba and £6.5m for El Ghazi!

Targett was also £14-16m I think.

Trez is easily worth more than the £9m we paid for him. On his performances since the restart, he’s a £15m winger now. He’s keeping a £19m Traore out of the team currently.

Mings is now an England player. England central defenders don’t go for £25m anymore. He’d be £40m at the absolute MINIMUM, if someone came knocking.

The thing is, now that we’re looking like a club in a decent position, and not a club that is in a constant need of having to balance the books, we can start demanding more for our players. And even more so for the ones that we use regularly.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rob182 said:

It was more like £9m for Nakamba and £6.5m for El Ghazi!

Targett was also £14-16m I think.

Trez is easily worth more than the £9m we paid for him. On his performances since the restart, he’s a £15m winger now. He’s keeping a £19m Traore out of the team currently.

Mings is now an England player. England central defenders don’t go for £25m anymore. He’d be £40m at the absolute MINIMUM, if someone came knocking.

The thing is, now that we’re looking like a club in a decent position, and not a club that is in a constant need of having to balance the books, we can start demanding more for our players. And even more so for the ones that we use regularly.

and with that comes a club that players want to sign for...
and stay at!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Football insider thinks we are going to offload lansbury guilbert and el ghazi.

Personally just lansbury for me. The other two we may need at certain points of the season

can see getting paid off. i don't see anyone taking him off us.

AEG i reckon will stay. guilbert i'd keep but he's 3rd choice. i think a loan is best for him, as elmo is out of contract next summer so we'll need him back

Lansbury is of no use so I get offloading him but the likes of El Ghazi and Guilbert can still be "useful" if we get injuries. So unless we intend to bring in new players in this window I don't see the point in weakening our squad to save a couple of pounds a week on their salaries. Might be wrong but we should be OK with the 25 man squad limit now even with Guilbert and El Ghazi included?

Of course if any Championship club is willing to actually buy them then it's another thing, but no Championship club can afford to do so. Guess there is always the MLS or Qatar or something but I don't see that happening.

• Like 2

I think AEG will leave, I don’t think he feels part of the squad and i can see him being detrimental to squad morale potentially.

Lansbury is the total opposite so I don’t care if he stays, he gets on well within the squad and seems to be good for morale.

It would be a shame if Guilbert went, permanently at least anyway, I think he’s a very able backup to Cash.

Also - lol at the folks crying about not signing Wilson higher up this page 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Football insider thinks we are going to offload lansbury guilbert and el ghazi.

Personally just lansbury for me. The other two we may need at certain points of the season

Hope not, Henri yes but the other two have a place in our 25 man squad.

Â