Recruitment

TRO

• 2 weeks later...

There is honestly no point whatsoever in having this sophisticated recruitment set up if all we can do is try and hijack other team’s moves for players (like we reportedly did for Wilson).

What is going on with the list of players that Smith frequently references? 

Smith being perceived as a lower league Manager is not going to be a draw for the calibre of players we need. If we have the budget and the backing that we think we do, let’s move on to Poch. 

Edit: Wilson, not Watkins

Edited by Pimlico_Villa

Until the end of the transfer window, anyone moaning about our transfer window is basically talking out their hole.

So far we’ve signed one player who appears to be a very good signing, and a load of good youth players. We don’t appear to have done a lot wrong yet - people just getting panicky.

Let’s wait and see. I reckon we’ll be in good shape soon. Hanging on to Jack and our other star players is a massive achievement in itself.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Until the end of the transfer window, anyone moaning about our transfer window is basically talking out their hole.

So far we’ve signed one player who appears to be a very good signing, and a load of good youth players. We don’t appear to have done a lot wrong yet - people just getting panicky.

Let’s wait and see. I reckon we’ll be in good shape soon. Hanging on to Jack and our other star players is a massive achievement in itself.

I am not panicking. Recruitment this summer has been shambolic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Suso for his faults did seem to have decent contacts in the game (especially with Belgian agents 😉 ).  I assume with him leaving any work he had done with the planning for this season just went with him.  I'm pretty sure we would have done more business by now but whether we would be any better off for it in the long run it's hard to tell.

49 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I get your point but it is important to get these transfers done early.

Look at how quickly and efficiently Chelsea have gone about their business.

38 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I get your point but it is important to get these transfers done early.

Look at how quickly and efficiently Chelsea have gone about their business.

2 free agents and 2 release clauses meaning they don't have to reach an agreement with the clubs. Paying an obscene sum for Chilwell. They've done well on Havertz, but that deal took way longer to resolve than the rest of their business.

• Like 1

I was in the "relax, give it time" camp, but I am beginning to get nervous. As Smith has mentioned, we saw what happened with Luiz because of how late he got to the club, and we need at least a winger and forward to hit the ground running. Can they do that if they come in days before the first match or, even worse, weeks into the season? I worry the answer is no. 

9 minutes ago, Raymond said:

I was in the "relax, give it time" camp, but I am beginning to get nervous. As Smith has mentioned, we saw what happened with Luiz because of how late he got to the club, and we need at least a winger and forward to hit the ground running. Can they do that if they come in days before the first match or, even worse, weeks into the season? I worry the answer is no. 

All comes down to who we sign for me. If we manage a few really ambitious signings I won't be that worried at them coming in late, but if we end up with obvious names and they come in late it will be disappointing. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Suso for his faults did seem to have decent contacts in the game (especially with Belgian agents 😉 ).  I assume with him leaving any work he had done with the planning for this season just went with him.  I'm pretty sure we would have done more business by now but whether we would be any better off for it in the long run it's hard to tell.

I think it was a difficult situation for Suso. He was expected to find PL quality players costing, on average, £10m and who were happy to come and play on championship wages. It was never going to end well. 

Edited by Made In Aston

8 hours ago, sne said:

1 month left to get sh*t done. That's a lot of time but also not really that long considering how much we need to improve.

we need the main targets in before the first Prem game m8.

If we go in to the first 2-3 games without a new winger, striker and mc, then end up in the bottom 3-6 again early doors due to not improving the squad, do we think this is going to increase our chances of attracting players before the window closes in Oct??

imo, we need a CM, Winger and striker before the first game, then hopefully show some potential the first few games, which might allow us one marquee signing before the window closes?

Im trying to stay chill, but if we go in to the Sheff Utd game with Cash our only signing, that will be a huge failure for me.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I admire your optimism...but the recruitment or lack of has been a shambles.

Ive read things on here....so and so havent brought anyone....so and so have only brought youth players.

I'm sorry but the so and so's are not aston villa who only survived by the skin of their teeth and a faulty watch.

I work for a league 2 team I can tell you even in this league we have people...scouts looking at signings for next summer...players to keep an eye out for so to say its a short window...teams are not sure who...what player... is a load of rubbish.

Villa at lockdown would have had a list of players for 1...staying up....2....staying down....conversations happen all season...not just the transfer window.

Business should have started the moment the final whistle blew at West ham.

Now....either we don't know who we want....which is a concern....2...we don't have the money to buy who we want....again...a concern....or 3....players we do want dont want to come...which is....a concern.

Until villa start showing the footballing fraternity it wants to compete then its going to be another long season.

Players know players...players talk to players....from the outside villa look.like a team wanting to buy lower league players and hope they become good....its a bad business model...especially for some of the prices quoted.

Until villa shop at 'waitrose' and buy the type of player to move forward but importantly show other players...hang on...they look like a team going places then its just not going to happen.

The team last year was relegation foder no matter which you look at it...to have only got in a RB which is slight improvement on what we have in 4 or 5 weeks since the end is a massive concern....and we have no chance of getting better than 17th next season.

I hope it changes quickly but I can't see it

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

we need the main targets in before the first Prem game m8.

If we go in to the first 2-3 games without a new winger, striker and mc, then end up in the bottom 3-6 again early doors due to not improving the squad, do we think this is going to increase our chances of attracting players before the window closes in Oct??

imo, we need a CM, Winger and striker before the first game, then hopefully show some potential the first few games, which might allow us one marquee signing before the window closes?

Im trying to stay chill, but if we go in to the Sheff Utd game with Cash our only signing, that will be a huge failure for me.

Yeah I'd love for us to get a quality winger, striker and CM in asap. But I rather we get the right players than that we'd paniced and signed someone like Wilson just get bodies in.

I think those positions will be where the maquee signing will be, can't see us signing 3 players in those positions and then make a marquee signing. 

I'd love for us to get a LB, CB and GK as well while also being able to ship out a couple.

15 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

I admire your optimism...but the recruitment or lack of has been a shambles.

Ive read things on here....so and so havent brought anyone....so and so have only brought youth players.

I'm sorry but the so and so's are not aston villa who only survived by the skin of their teeth and a faulty watch.

I work for a league 2 team I can tell you even in this league we have people...scouts looking at signings for next summer...players to keep an eye out for so to say its a short window...teams are not sure who...what player... is a load of rubbish.

Villa at lockdown would have had a list of players for 1...staying up....2....staying down....conversations happen all season...not just the transfer window.

Business should have started the moment the final whistle blew at West ham.

Now....either we don't know who we want....which is a concern....2...we don't have the money to buy who we want....again...a concern....or 3....players we do want dont want to come...which is....a concern.

Until villa start showing the footballing fraternity it wants to compete then its going to be another long season.

Players know players...players talk to players....from the outside villa look.like a team wanting to buy lower league players and hope they become good....its a bad business model...especially for some of the prices quoted.

Until villa shop at 'waitrose' and buy the type of player to move forward but importantly show other players...hang on...they look like a team going places then its just not going to happen.

The team last year was relegation foder no matter which you look at it...to have only got in a RB which is slight improvement on what we have in 4 or 5 weeks since the end is a massive concern....and we have no chance of getting better than 17th next season.

I hope it changes quickly but I can't see it

Rubbish.

It's a tough window.

We finished 17th in the league on the last day of the season, we aren't a huge pull for any players right now.

The market we are shopping in is the 20-30 million pound players, there are a lot of clubs looking at the same players and those players are waiting to see if they get a better offer/club coming in for them over the remaining month of the window.

Lastly, just because things are reported in the media or on social media doesn't mean it's true. Last season we pulled players out of the bag without any reports prior, I would imagine the same will happen over the next few weeks.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

Â