Recruitment

TRO

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He was chief scout for bad signings and on holiday for good signings... 

I've always thought the reality was Lange just managed the whole process, cutler tells him martinez is class, Lange sends the chief scout to watch him, Lange gets the data analysts to check if the stats back up the scout reports, Lange contacts the agent and arsenal to set up the meeting, he gets the medical team to do the medical, he gets the recruitment team to help him settle, just like every other business model it requires a man at the top of the tree 

Loads of moving parts, the whole 1 man signings "definitely a purslow signing" stuff is bollocks 

It's still completely wild that neal maupay being a prick caused Messi to win a WC and Copa America

• Like 1

Moreno, Torres, Diaby, Lenglet, Zaniolo. Some good work so far in Emery era. I think the Lenglet loan in such a short space of time after Mings injury was a show of the strong network Monchi has. It was a pick up the phone. 

Zaniolo is a player I'm willing to give time to. I think he's been asked to play out of position from the left of midfield too much, mainly because we had lost JJ/Buendia and were unsure of McGinn playing from LM

It will be interesting to see what Jan window brings and Summer. I think sales are as important now as signings.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2023 at 13:07, useless said:

Martinez wasn't an hidden gem, he was playing for Arsenal and getting a lot of plaudits for his good displays, he played in the FA Cup final for them, when he was sold to us it was reported that they didn't really want to let him go but did so for FFP reasons, at the time Leno was still a very highly rated player.

Besides I'm not sure why people think Lange was picking our signings, I'm pretty sure that wasn't his job, we had an head of recruitment and he had a team of people working underneath him, we also had another guy from Copenhagen that worked in recrutiment for them, Lange's job would have been more about putting those systems in place, deciding on the way we wanted to play as a club, and the type of players we need for that to happen.

Whoever was responsible for recruitment, in most cases it will  be very much a team effort, between the recruitment team, and data people, and then managers having the final say, they did a good job, because the signings we've made have got us into the position we're in now, on the whole they've played their part, we haven't just magically appeared in this position from nowhere.

My understanding of Emi's position at Arsenal, was much similar to what it is now, with Raya and Ramsdale, competing for the jersey, Ouch!....I get competition with players, but not so sure with Goalkeepers they thrive on continuity...how many have lofty appearance figures?

He was sharing the role with Leno...and the writing was on the wall, for too long.

Emi at the time, had seen enough, and couldn't see anything changing, so he made his mind up ( strong minded people usually do, even after giving perseverence a good run) and even though, Arsenal, didn't want him to go, he felt nothing was going to change, he knew, there modus operandi, and that was set in stone.

Emi, like Unai saw Villa as a sleeping Giant and wanted to set up his stall there, all geared up to make his mark...politics free, and opportunities in abundance...He was effectively set free, from the Horlicks.

Thats my take on it

• Like 1

Â