The Royal Family

Genie

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Of course he's not going to court, he'd have to be stupid to voluntarily travel there to engage in the process, and you can't be extradited for a civil case.

They could award damages and try to enforce it internationally, in which case I look forward to bailiffs turning up at the palace :D 

Well of course he's not going to go there of his own free will lol. The hope would be that him hiding in a palace ends up turning this into an international diplomatic incident and it ends up becoming necessary for the firm to send him. I don't feel too optimistic about that either, but I don't think anyone is under any illusions that he's going to choose to get involved.

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Swap him for Anne Sacoolas.

That would be the obvious and decent thing for both countries to do.

The decent thing would be if both travelled voluntary or at least not protected in the first place. 

But that's clearly never going to happen. 

15 hours ago, sne said:

This is not odd at all

Meanwhile HM orders the US national anthem to be played by the Guards Band at Windsor Castle to mark the anniversary.

Stay classy Rudy, you f****** goblin.  

maybe because i didnt know anything about him pre 9/11 but he seems like a complete different character now, maybe his age but its seemingly like he's seen what trump was all about and how he was so popular with some of the americans and thought he'd get himself some of that, maybe it was the wealth that he gained after 

im sure his testimony that the firefighters who died did so because they ignored the evacuation order went down an absolute treat

• 3 weeks later...

Queen spending millions to fund Prince Andrew’s fight against sex abuse allegations

Financial intervention was considered a necessity, as Duke has no discernible income, and means Buckingham Palace is updated on developments

The Queen is privately funding the Duke of York’s legal fight against sex abuse allegations to the tune of millions of pounds, the Telegraph understands.

Prince Andrew, 61, last week expanded his American legal team, hiring Melissa Lerner, a Princeton and Columbia graduate, to work alongside lead counsel Andrew Brettler.

Both work for Lavley Singer, a renowned Los Angeles-based law firm reputed for its ability to make celebrities' legal problems “go away” - and commanding the fees to do so.

Mr Brettler is thought to be charging the Duke around $2,000 an hour, while Ms Lerner’s appointment, their junior staff and his UK-based legal team, led by criminal defence solicitor Gary Bloxsome, have already sent his bills soaring.

Her Majesty, 95, agreed to pay for her son’s defence at the beginning of last year, shortly after his disastrous Newsnight interview, in which he failed to show any empathy for Jeffrey Epstein's victims or regret over their friendship. 

The funds will be sourced from her annual income from her private Duchy of Lancaster estate, which recently increased by £1.5 million to more than £23 million.

Royal courtiers accept that the overall legal bill will run into millions, with the civil case likely to drag on for months or even years. The prospect of a potential settlement, or damages payout, could cost many millions more on top....

Torygrift (Paywalled soz)

Gawd bless yer ma'am

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, tinker said:

Oh dear,  a step closer to having that drip Charles as head of state, God help us all.

I mean, sure. Everything is going so well right now, it would be a shame if someone else being on the stamps for a bit turned up to ruin it all.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, tinker said:

Oh dear,  a step closer to having that drip Charles as head of state, God help us all.

A coronation in in the 2020s will look so much different than 1950, or whenever Liz got the nod. People are so much more cynical now, and Chuck has never been adored by anyone I don't think. No longer an empire,, either.. Toss in Covid 19, and the event will probably look very trimmed down in comparison.

Edited by maqroll

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

A coronation in in the 2020s will look so much different than 1950, or whenever Liz got the nod. People are so much more cynical now, and Chuck has never been adored by anyone I don't think. No longer an empire,, either.. Toss in Covid 19, and the event will probably look very trimmed down in comparison.

My day (RIP) talked about how his dad bought a TV for the Coronation in the 50's (he was about 10.) They were the first family on the street in Halesowen to have one and it cost one years wages :o Street parties all across the nation - a very different time.

I do have a glimpse of a memory of the Charles & Diana wedding when my paternal grandmother was still alive. It was a big deal. The only time I can ever remember my mother drawing the curtains during the day was when someone had died in our street and it was their funeral. They were drawn the day of the wedding so we could watch the TV without the glare from the window.

In 1982 there was zero daytime TV in the UK. It didn't start until 6pm - Now there's Jeremy Kyle & decades of This morning with Richard & Judy. Oh the progress.

Funny the things we remember.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

Suggested to my royalist parents last night that the queen should literally throw herself under the bus for Andy, her dying could deflect for a few years and take the heat off him. It didn't go down well. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm not convinced, this particular government would throw that much money at it because it is a perfect distraction for them

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Also, will England fans sing God Save the King with the necessary verve? Seems doubtful. 

They'll either forget to change the words or be just the same

Â