The Royal Family

Genie

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, they've quietly given up on '8 days of mourning' haven't they. Rearranged the Masterchef final for tomorrow night too; I guess now everyone's ignoring the 'mourning' we can go back to acknowledging that fun and food and stuff still exist.

Definitely.

Marc Riley starts his show by shouting Help! and launching straight into Remote Control by The Clash, then Smoking Me Out by Du Blonde. He often starts his shows with two tracks that convey a sort of hidden message or are linked in some way. I think his message is quite clear.

There's also no way those two songs would have been on the air last night

EDIT: and he's just announced that he's back to pre-recordings next week (as far as he's currently aware). Surely the genie is out of this particular bottle now?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

Definitely.

Marc Riley starts his show by shouting Help! and launching straight into Remote Control by The Clash, then Smoking Me Out by Du Blonde. He often starts his shows with two tracks that convey a sort of hidden message or are linked in some way. I think his message is quite clear.

There's also no way those two songs would have been on the air last night

EDIT: and he's just announced that he's back to pre-recordings next week (as far as he's currently aware). Surely the genie is out of this particular bottle now?

Tell me when he plays The Smiths 🧐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Incidentally, the story that has prompted this fury in Canada is *horrifying*. They have disocvered mass graves with the remains of thousands of corpses at the sites of former residential schools.

Without going back to Henry VIII what does that have to do with the Royal Family? I thought it was mainly schools run by Catholics? Also did this all happen before 1867?

I confess I know little about it apart from the headlines

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

Without going back to Henry VIII what does that have to do with the Royal Family? I thought it was mainly schools run by Catholics? Also did this all happen before 1867?

Based on this, I guess it’s the act of kids being separated from their family that has seen Liz topple (although I would hope their living conditions would be better during her reign*). Head(s) of state, so they’re being seen as figureheads for the the country’s colonial past. 

For 165 years and as recently as 1996, the schools forcibly separated indigenous children from their families, subjecting them to malnourishment and physical and sexual abuse in what the Truth and Reconciliation Commission called "cultural genocide" in 2015.

Reuters link

A statue of Egerton Ryerson was pulled down last month, he was the founder/or at least played a part in the formation of this school system it seems. So they’ve been targeting others more closely aligned to the education system. 

Seems to be linking into “Canada Day” and celebrating the country. Some think the more negative aspects should be reflected and I guess if you’re on a plinth, people will scrutinise a bit more closely what it is you (in part) represent. My guess is that Victoria was the main focus but the current Queen was thrown in for good measure.

* or maybe not :(

Caribou was snatched from her parents’ house in 1972 by the state-funded, church-run Indian Residential School system that brutally attempted to assimilate native children for over a century. She was only seven years old. “We had to stand like soldiers while singing the national anthem, otherwise, we would be beaten up”, she recalled.

Caribou said Catholic missionaries physically and sexually abused her until 1979 at the Guy Hill institution, in the east of the province of Manitoba. She said she was called a “dog”, was forced to eat rotten vegetables and was forbidden to speak her native language of Cree.

Guardian link

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

The schools were predominantly run by Catholics, and as I understand it were established in the 1880s. Most had closed by the 1970s, though the last closed in 1996 (?). Most of the deaths occurred in the period between the 1880s and the end of the Second World War. The purpose was not just assimiliation, but a way of securing the western frontier, and they were a quite explicit tactic of what we would nowadays understand as 'cultural genocide'.

Independence in 1867 isn't really relevant to the anger. Queen Victoria was the Head of State when the schools were established; Queen Elizabeth is the Head of State now. They don't get a pass just because they didn't specifically order the creation of the schools. They were and are the symbols of white European colonialism on first nations land.

If anyone's looking to learn more about the residential schools specifically, and likes learning in podcast form, I would recommend this one:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/john-milloy-residential-schools-a-national-crime/id1507212458?i=1000525009864

The guest John Milloy wrote one of the key books about the schools.

They set up a Truth and Reconciliation commission into the schools back in I think 2007; the report can be found here (the Introdution of the Executive Summary provides a good overview of the history): http://www.trc.ca/about-us/trc-findings.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
Â