Ratings & Reactions: FAC3 Fulham v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/20 at 23:59

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You realise we were already in the Championship with him, and "life" didn't look like this right?

Oh yes how could I forget. Difference was he had one of the current Premier league top scorers, Mings, McGinn and Grealish on fire. He won’t have any of that next season. 

I don't really care that we lost - the FA Cup is pretty meaningless to us this season. 

But I'm unhappy that we lost to Fulham, for obvious reasons.

Also that many of the players who started today have been and might be in the future starters in the first team in premier league games. Not too encouraging.

• Like 1

I'm getting a bit bored of losing now.

I'm not calling for anybodies head yet but I expect more than this, even from so called weakened teams. Put the kids on earlier next time please. Especially if the ones on the pitch are phoning it in.

Most of this squad is not fit for purpose, including half the ones we bought this summer.

Not impressed.

Great opportunity missed to give the kids some game time to allow one or two to break through. If Smith isn’t going to blood them in the cup competitions then why would a promising kid sign for Villa now?

Useless exercise if there was non interest.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

When we’re properly established in the Prem I want to see us gunning for cups. Until then, be shrewd and plan accordingly. 

Getting to one semi final in the two competitions isn't  a bad effort.  We didn't get thrashed and no one got injured. Our away record at Fulham in recent years is dreadful. When is the last time we won at Craven Cottage?

I expect Smith to pick a near full strength XI versus Leicester.  You never want your team to lose but on the other hand we have a spare weekend in Jan to learn how to defend corners so every cloud and all that. We could still get to Wembley, you never know.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Hmmm. It ain't that we've been embarrassed by a team from a lower division in the FA Cup again that worries me, there's not really a lot of surprise in that. (Are Liverpool at Wembley the last team we beat in the FA Cup?) What worries me is how bad this collection of players is.

None of that back four look like they're proper Premier league players to me - Engels is a reasonable back up and Elmo is worth keeping around until the end of the season, but Taylor and Chester just don't have it anymore. Nakamba is a Premier league back up, Lansbury is lower Championship, Hourihane is Championship, Jota is barely a Championship player - he's here because he's teachers pet. El Ghazi is a Championship player and Kodjia used to be an upper Championship player and is now lower Championship at best. They just shouldn't be in a squad in the Premier league - these players wouldn't be at Palace or Everton or West Ham - they need to be shipped out. 

What's worrying is that this group are the backups to a very small first team group and we've got injuries - if we stay up and we want to go forward in the summer - we'll need ten players - we'll need to spend more than we spent this summer - we've got half a squad and this collection of misfits isn't going to cut it.

Individually they were poor, collectively worse. There wasn't a leader amongst them or even a grafter, we were weak and disinterested, El Ghazi perks up when you give him the ball, Kodjia perks up when you give him a mirror and the rest of them had all the enthusiasm of the queue at a bus stop.

The concern I have for the manager is that he doesn't seem able to compromise his desire to dominate games with good football to take into account that he doesn't have good footballers - he needs to find a more pragmatic approach to take into account some of the rubbish he has at his disposal.

Ultimately, I'm not embarrassed by the result, I'm embarrassed by the team - that this is the best we have for this occasion.

Rubbish. Onward to Wednesday, I'm not full of hope.

We got promoted last season. Wouldn't it be a bit odd if most of our back up players were competent premier league players? Particularly given our situation of needing to buy half a squad six months ago. Palace, Everton, West Ham, Brighton etc are perfect examples of teams the have been in the league a number of years and gone through 8, 10, 12 etc transfer windows with premier league money. We have zero depth in this squad, I agree.

• Like 4

Just now, Monkspath-Villan said:

Today was a good test of our resilience. In the event that we are relegated then this will bear a close resemblance to the kind of side we will be putting out in The Championship.

I really don't think it would be.

On the assumption we get relegated, we'll likely sell Grealish, McGinn, Luiz, Mings and other big earners. We'd also get parachute payments. We'd be able to spend and improve on our squad after selling our better players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

the back ups did nothing to advance their cause. However in this instance, going out isn't a disaster. Usually I love cups and want us to win them all, and wanted to win today but given the injuries, the fact we have a semi final in mid week anyway, the xmas spell and the fatigue incurred this is probably a blessing in disguise. It's just a shame so many of our second string players put in poor perfomances. We will still need serious overhaul of the squad again in the summer

Without Jack, Mings and Mcginn, the squad is pretty clearly championship level. I don't think there was anything surprising today.

Lots of work to do if we want to stay up and move on next season.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Sad 1

No one from the manager down cared about the result today and it showed. To try and draw meaningful conclusions from it would be as pointless as two bald men fighting over a comb.

Our biggest matches this month by far at Watford at home in the league and the league cup semi final. This was the least important by a country mile.

2 hours ago, jim said:

Oh yes how could I forget. Difference was he had one of the current Premier league top scorers, Mings, McGinn and Grealish on fire. He won’t have any of that next season. 

We also won't be playing the 11 we had out as our main team next season if we were relegated so struggling to see the point. 

Â