Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

@lapal_fanEverything you've said, about kids not running around, people being lazier than ever, people parking their cars close to where they need to be - it all stems from a lack of time available to adults now....Lack of time,When I went to school we walked or rode our bikes,you go past a school now at 3pm and you have trouble getting past all the cars that are there to pick the kids up.You would think that getting a ride home every day would give them more time.

*Kids would play outside loads, if they finished school, walked home where mom was, had their tea by 4.30 and gone to play until dark. I dont know about the UK but where I went to school we went from 9am to 3pm....So that gives you 90 minutes to get home by 4.30

*Me and my wife work until 5, then we go get our kids from after school club or nursery, we get home for 5.30, we feed them by typically 6.30, then it's bath time, which takes half hour, then we do homework, which can take anything from 15 mins to 1 hour. 

Oh look, now it's 7.30/8PM, bedtime. 

When I mentioned kids playing outside till 9pm.I was not talking about kids that had to be fed/bathed  or put to bed.

*Adults' time is squeezed now more than ever, if you want a decent life-style, you're going to have to pay for it somehow. 

I am retired now so I am not up with the play but last I heard,people still worked a 40hour weekl.As for paying for the lifestyle you want,do you mean that the lifestyle we wanted cost nothing ?

*Nursery at LEAST £800 a month

Before and after school club (in my experience), £200 a month

Mortgage - ever increasing, but I'd say at LEAST £500 a month

Car payments, insurances, blah blah blah.  

The wages I got PW for my first job was 4Pound 10 Shillings.So back then I probably would not be able to afford Nursery at 800 pound if it was for a year.

Before and after school club....I played Rugby and cricket for the school But I ( along with many others ) played Rugby-league and Softball for clubs on a saturday my parents had to pay club fees and buy cleats and my softball gear.

Our mortgage payments were lower...But then so were wages

As for car payments...I was 13 before my parents could afford a car

*People are lazy, they just don't have any **** time.  So forgive me for driving 4 miles to get to an out of town shopping center, because 1 of those ate up the 150 small highstreets which had your local shops previously. 

So,you think we did all our shopping at the corner shop ? as for driving 4 miles ( for anything at all ) we never owned a car for a long time.

*Moms and dads work now, there isn't anyone floating around doing your washing and ironing and making cherry pie - the world has moved on.  Everything about work and career is geared to be more efficient.  There are organisations who employ organisations at great cost to find inefficiency.  Manual workers' vans have technology to say when, where, how fast they are going.  Offices are 24/7 and we can work remotely now, so it doesn't really ever stop.  

The people doing our washing/ironing etc were servants ( In Calcutta EVERYONE had servents ) not just us.And here is something to ponder When we arrived in New Zealand my mum did not know how to cook ( because she had never done it before ) She did not know how to do the washing(because she had never done it before ) 90% of the things people take for granted we had never done for ourselves before,So not only did we have to do washing/cooking/cleaning/etc etc etc....wh had to learn how to do it first.If as you say Everything is geared to efficency  now  Then ,surley you should have more time than we had.Companys did not do effeciency studies back then.

*I'd love to walk 200 yards to the local factory, press a mechanical button for 7.5 hours and walk 200 yards to my house where the wife (who doesn't work) has made my dinner and the kids are outside playing - but the world isn't like that for most people.  

I dont know about England but I will tell you what happens here in Perth.When we drive to the nearest large shopping mall we park at the fartherest edge of the car park.For 2 reasons 1-There are large trees there and we can ALWAYS park the car in the shade.There is always about 7/8 empty parking spaces.All the parking close to the mall is full and its only a 3 minute walk. 2- Whenever we go into Perth,the buss port and train station are underground.There are 28 stairs to walk up to street level ( I know because I have counted them ) A train will pull in and about 100 people will get off ... and,guess what,99 of them are riding up to street level on the esculator,I am the only one using the stairs.As for pushing a mechanical button for 7.5 hours ?! are you trying to say that we had automation before you did ?

*You need to realise this because you're coming across as a very out of date person, which is unkind to say.  

If I am comming across as out of date then you are missing the point.The point I am trying to make is that people were more active then.As you say yourself,with the advancement of technology,Things MUST be easier now....Because of advancement in technology.

*Lastly, your experience is YOUR experience, kids who lived in your era of childhood existed who didn't have your experience

I realise that my experiance is my experiance alone but back then kids tended to have friends that were local ( Because we did not have cars/scooters and the buss service was not what it is today ) also ALL the kids in a neighbourhood would play/stick together ( its like English football in the days of K.Keegan,90% of the players lived local.Liverpool players were from Liverpool,Aston villa players were from Birmingham ) So ALL the local kids had the exact same experiance as I did.  

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

My nephew and grandson do it

They’re the exception then. And I’d agree that’s not healthy.

But that’s like saying carrots aren’t healthy because your grandson eats 10kg of them a day

The problem is the consumer there

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

They’re the exception then. And I’d agree that’s not healthy.

But that’s like saying carrots aren’t healthy because your grandson eats 10kg of them a day

The problem is the consumer there

The point I was trying to make is that IMHO ( and this is MY opinion only ) is that kids seem to spend a LOT of time on their phones/video games.When I was growing up,we didnt have mobile phones but we did have video games,but we didnt spend that much time playing them.

Actually carrots ( and all other veges ) are very,very unhealthy for you.A survey was done in the USA and it was discovered that out of 10,000 people that died, 9,999 had eaten veges in the week leading up to their death.

Back in the 70s, as soon as we'd had our evening meal and the washing up was done, my mother was straight on the phone to talk to some friend or relative, never off the thing, on there for hours. I'd have to go around and knock on my mates doors to see if they wanted to hang out

It was a party line too, so the other houses phone bill must have been miniscule

7 hours ago, Anthony said:

Yeah, but which one? Some people refuse to move on from 5. Personally, I'm all in on 6.

He’s on 6 , I still prefer the original but I’m stuck in the past :) 

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

my mother was straight on the phone to talk to some friend or relative, never off the thing, on there for hours. I'd have to go around and knock on my mates doors to see if they wanted to hang out

It was a party line too, so the other houses phone bill must have been miniscule

Party line, what like babestation?

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Party line, what like babestation?

Back in the dark ages, you shared your telephone line with another house. Only one of you could be on the phone. If you were on the phone, they couldn't make a call

• Shocked 2

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Back in the dark ages, you shared your telephone line with another house. Only one of you could be on the phone. If you were on the phone, they couldn't make a call

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

@lapal_fanEverything you've said, about kids not running around, people being lazier than ever, people parking their cars close to where they need to be - it all stems from a lack of time available to adults now....Lack of time,When I went to school we walked or rode our bikes,you go past a school now at 3pm and you have trouble getting past all the cars that are there to pick the kids up.You would think that getting a ride home every day would give them more time.

*Kids would play outside loads, if they finished school, walked home where mom was, had their tea by 4.30 and gone to play until dark. I dont know about the UK but where I went to school we went from 9am to 3pm....So that gives you 90 minutes to get home by 4.30

*Me and my wife work until 5, then we go get our kids from after school club or nursery, we get home for 5.30, we feed them by typically 6.30, then it's bath time, which takes half hour, then we do homework, which can take anything from 15 mins to 1 hour. 

Oh look, now it's 7.30/8PM, bedtime. 

When I mentioned kids playing outside till 9pm.I was not talking about kids that had to be fed/bathed  or put to bed.

*Adults' time is squeezed now more than ever, if you want a decent life-style, you're going to have to pay for it somehow. 

I am retired now so I am not up with the play but last I heard,people still worked a 40hour weekl.As for paying for the lifestyle you want,do you mean that the lifestyle we wanted cost nothing ?

*Nursery at LEAST £800 a month

Before and after school club (in my experience), £200 a month

Mortgage - ever increasing, but I'd say at LEAST £500 a month

Car payments, insurances, blah blah blah.  

The wages I got PW for my first job was 4Pound 10 Shillings.So back then I probably would not be able to afford Nursery at 800 pound if it was for a year.

Before and after school club....I played Rugby and cricket for the school But I ( along with many others ) played Rugby-league and Softball for clubs on a saturday my parents had to pay club fees and buy cleats and my softball gear.

Our mortgage payments were lower...But then so were wages

As for car payments...I was 13 before my parents could afford a car

*People are lazy, they just don't have any **** time.  So forgive me for driving 4 miles to get to an out of town shopping center, because 1 of those ate up the 150 small highstreets which had your local shops previously. 

So,you think we did all our shopping at the corner shop ? as for driving 4 miles ( for anything at all ) we never owned a car for a long time.

*Moms and dads work now, there isn't anyone floating around doing your washing and ironing and making cherry pie - the world has moved on.  Everything about work and career is geared to be more efficient.  There are organisations who employ organisations at great cost to find inefficiency.  Manual workers' vans have technology to say when, where, how fast they are going.  Offices are 24/7 and we can work remotely now, so it doesn't really ever stop.  

The people doing our washing/ironing etc were servants ( In Calcutta EVERYONE had servents ) not just us.And here is something to ponder When we arrived in New Zealand my mum did not know how to cook ( because she had never done it before ) She did not know how to do the washing(because she had never done it before ) 90% of the things people take for granted we had never done for ourselves before,So not only did we have to do washing/cooking/cleaning/etc etc etc....wh had to learn how to do it first.If as you say Everything is geared to efficency  now  Then ,surley you should have more time than we had.Companys did not do effeciency studies back then.

*I'd love to walk 200 yards to the local factory, press a mechanical button for 7.5 hours and walk 200 yards to my house where the wife (who doesn't work) has made my dinner and the kids are outside playing - but the world isn't like that for most people.  

I dont know about England but I will tell you what happens here in Perth.When we drive to the nearest large shopping mall we park at the fartherest edge of the car park.For 2 reasons 1-There are large trees there and we can ALWAYS park the car in the shade.There is always about 7/8 empty parking spaces.All the parking close to the mall is full and its only a 3 minute walk. 2- Whenever we go into Perth,the buss port and train station are underground.There are 28 stairs to walk up to street level ( I know because I have counted them ) A train will pull in and about 100 people will get off ... and,guess what,99 of them are riding up to street level on the esculator,I am the only one using the stairs.As for pushing a mechanical button for 7.5 hours ?! are you trying to say that we had automation before you did ?

*You need to realise this because you're coming across as a very out of date person, which is unkind to say.  

If I am comming across as out of date then you are missing the point.The point I am trying to make is that people were more active then.As you say yourself,with the advancement of technology,Things MUST be easier now....Because of advancement in technology.

*Lastly, your experience is YOUR experience, kids who lived in your era of childhood existed who didn't have your experience

I realise that my experiance is my experiance alone but back then kids tended to have friends that were local ( Because we did not have cars/scooters and the buss service was not what it is today ) also ALL the kids in a neighbourhood would play/stick together ( its like English football in the days of K.Keegan,90% of the players lived local.Liverpool players were from Liverpool,Aston villa players were from Birmingham ) So ALL the local kids had the exact same experiance as I did.  

The irony of this post isn't lost on me. 

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Back in the 70s, as soon as we'd had our evening meal and the washing up was done, my mother was straight on the phone to talk to some friend or relative, never off the thing, on there for hours. I'd have to go around and knock on my mates doors to see if they wanted to hang out

We had a dial lock on ours 

• 2 weeks later...
Â