Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I think perhaps we are mixing up better times with happier times as an individual. You can't disagree that tech and medicine progress is much better, but are people happier now?

Plus people will generally look back at their youth with rose tinted specs.

Completely agree, also while advances are on the whole brilliant like technology it will have some downsides.  Kids being less active because of tv, computer obsession, and social media on kids mental health.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You make a good point but I wish my nephews had a childhood like mine in the late 70’s and all of the 80’s than the technology obsessed tv game playing of today.

But why? If video games were around when you were a kid you’d have played them. 

Kids do what they find fun. Believe it or not video games are more fun than knocking around the streets on your bike

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

March 1990 to be precise.I rather not get into a big discussion about why we left NZ.Suffice to say that if you look it up you will find that around 1990 a whole flood of people left NZ for Australia.Its a shame because NZ was a really great country to live in.

The Royal New Zealand Navy discontinued the daily rum ration? Bit extreme as reactions go but each to their own.

15 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Your missing my point.Techonology,medicine,etc can advance another 100% but its not going to help those that are going to be couch potatoes,it wont help those that have to park within 10 yards of a shopping mall because 30/50 yards is too far to walk.Im sure you can see what I am getting at.

You basically have an issue with obesity. That’s fine. It doesn’t mean the 50s and 60s were better than the present just because there were less fat kids. 

We can have both

• Like 1

My lad has group whatsapp calls with his mates after school now. Instead of going to their house to play they stay in their own homes and chat/laugh/joke/abuse each other over the phone whilst playing FIFA or Fortnite. Very different but still social.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

But why? If video games were around when you were a kid you’d have played them.

Video games were around in the late 70s, we played them all the time. Pong machines were 1973, Atari 2600 was 1977, Intellivision was 1980.

We played all three of those

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

Completely agree, also while advances are on the whole brilliant like technology it will have some downsides.  Kids being less active because of tv, computer obsession, and social media on kids mental health.

There is also the fact that because people are less active now ill health must be escalating and drugs are a much bigger problem now than they ever were.

Just now, bickster said:

Video games were around in the late 70s, we played them all the time. Pong machines were 1973, Atari 2600 was 1977, Intellivision was 1980.

I was 29 in 1973

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

But why? If video games were around when you were a kid you’d have played them

I agree I would’ve played them, doesn’t mean that was a better choice and doesn’t mean either was more enjoyable than the other.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Kids do what they find fun. Believe it or not video games are more fun than knocking around the streets on your bike

I don’t agree that my playing footy as a kid with my friends, riding my bike with mates and games were less fun.  I think the physical activity, the social bonding and being out in the fresh air was better than sitting playing computer games for hours on end.  The social benefits alone make my childhood better.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah but those are shit in comparison

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I agree I would’ve played them, doesn’t mean that was a better choice and doesn’t mean either was more enjoyable than the other.

I don’t agree that my playing footy as a kid with my friends, riding my bike with mates and games were less fun.  I think the physical activity, the social bonding and being out in the fresh air was better than sitting playing computer games for hours on end.  The social benefits alone make my childhood better.

Then why don’t more kids do it now if it’s more fun? There’s literally nothing stopping them.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I was a kid in the 70s/early 80s and I did plenty of both. 

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but those are shit in comparison

Obviously, they were also state of the art at the time and just as addictive as todays games because the increase of technology in time doesn't increase the release of endorphins any more. My point was that the 70s and 80s were not video game free times, they existed, they were played, they were a thing.

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Then why don’t more kids do it now if it’s more fun? There’s literally nothing stopping them.

Ease! Exposure from media and peer pressure!

Are you seriously telling me playing footy and that with your mates when you were young was not extremely enjoyable?  Not saying that kids don’t enjoy playing computer games but you are trying to say one isn’t enjoyable and one is.  That’s obviously not true, the fact kids choose games now is society now as per my first comment. Doesn’t mean it’s more enjoyable or even less enjoyable.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Obviously, they were also state of the art at the time and just as addictive as todays games because the increase of technology in time doesn't increase the release of endorphins any more. My point was that the 70s and 80s were not video game free times, they existed, they were played, they were a thing.

My mum won 1000 quid on a villa scratchcard in 1979 and she went on the pitch to be presented with it because £1000 back that was quite a lot of money. She treated me and my sister to an Atari 2600 with space invaders from Carrefour in Minworth. Gaming was definitely a thing then and to say they were crap is total nonsense

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ease! Exposure from media and peer pressure!

Are you seriously telling me playing footy and that with your mates when you were young was not extremely enjoyable?  Not saying that kids don’t enjoy playing computer games but you are trying to say one isn’t enjoyable and one is.  That’s obviously not true, the fact kids choose games now is society now as per my first comment. Doesn’t mean it’s more enjoyable or even less enjoyable.

It was very very enjoyable. Kids still do it. They probably do it less because they play video games. 

Playing video games isn’t a bad thing just because you didn’t do it 50 years ago

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Because people are more lazy now than they ever were.Just go down to any shopping mall or similar and see how many cars are parked as close as they can get to the venue compared to how many cars are parked further away.Also how many kids today get a lift to school in their parents car rather than walking/riding their bikes with their mates to school ?!

• Like 1

Â