Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There's never been a better time to be alive than the present

I guess for certain developing countries, it absolutely is, i'd posit that for westernised nations, peak was potentially late 90s / early 00s. Just my two penneth.

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m not bothered about steak. It’s alright, I’m happy enough to eat it, but I never choose it.

People evidently appear to get more out of it than I do. 

Don't have it often, but when i was away I had sirloin and truffle chips (check me out!) at the pub I stayed in. £28! It was ok, but couldn't justify that price IMO. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

I guess for certain developing countries, it absolutely is, i'd posit that for westernised nations, peak was potentially late 90s / early 00s. Just my two penneth.

Nope. We remember them fondly, but the world advances all the time. 

Technology, health, equality etc

Very rarely do we go backwards

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Plenty of evidence that we are going backwards with respect to some of these points. Inequality has skyrocketed since the 1980s and the gap between rich and poor is roughly analogous to the Victorian era, while life expectancy has stopped growing for the first time a century and actually declined for the poorest women between 2010 and 2020. 

I broadly agree with your point, but think you can make a reasonable argument that living conditions have already peaked for people in western countries in some respects

Edited by icouldtelltheworld
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m not bothered about steak. It’s alright, I’m happy enough to eat it, but I never choose it.

People evidently appear to get more out of it than I do. 

I’d have agreed until Americans taught me how to cook a steak properly and use the reverse sear method. Tbh the English are shite at making steak and it’s just not worth ordering in this country 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

People wore socks in the 90's.

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’d have agreed until Americans taught me how to cook a steak properly and use the reverse sear method. Tbh the English are shite at making steak and it’s just not worth ordering in this country 

It is more than possible I haven’t had a wide ranging sample size of steak to conclude for definite. 

However I have been in the company of others who really like their steak and they’ve been vocal when they’ve really enjoyed a steak. But again, I would think “Yeah, nice enough, think I’ll have the chicken next time…”

Now of course, my dining company might not have the most sophisticated palates to say whether a steak is good or not. I certainly don’t think I’m discerning in that regard.

I’ve just never come away with the conclusion of “Ah! That’s why it’s so much more than other items on the menu.”

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm afraid that curve is well broken, we've gone full Easter Island with Capitalism. We're cutting our own throats.

A handful of people will live very comfortable extended lives, that's not going to be the story for the whole.

Radical advances in the societal and economic models and energy technologies are required. Meanwhile we're stuffing public money into the fossil fuel industry 'to help people out' and opening a coal mine.

The longer we delay course correction, the more horrendous the consequences.

I don't think we see a recovery in our lifetimes, and there's no guarantee the next couple of generations do either?

20 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I should imagine that New Zealand would have been a rather better place to be than a war-ravaged blighty, although kids of the era would have had nothing else to compare it with.

The film Hue and Cry (1947) offers a fairly accurate, if romanticised picture of the state of cities.

Calcutta was bombed as well ( not as much as London ) but you are right NZ was a great place to live right up to about 1990.

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There's never been a better time to be alive than the present

It depends on what you want/prefer.For me I prefered the old times when we were more active ( as I said playing in the streets till 9pm,riding pushbikes,etc,etc. ) I personally prefer those sort of activities rather than staring at a mobile phone all day.Im glad im not young now,I would get bored to tears.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

It depends on what you want/prefer.For me I prefered the old times when we were more active ( as I said playing in the streets till 9pm,riding pushbikes,etc,etc. ) I personally prefer those sort of activities rather than staring at a mobile phone all day.Im glad im not young now,I would get bored to tears.

The advances in technology, medicine, health, diet, equality etc weren’t worth it because you can’t play out on your bike until 9pm

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The advances in technology, medicine, health, diet, equality etc weren’t worth it because you can’t play out on your bike until 9pm

You make a good point but I wish my nephews had a childhood like mine in the late 70’s and all of the 80’s than the technology obsessed tv game playing of today.

Yeah all that playing out was great in the 70s and early 80s, we got our exercise from being legged by the National Front for having mates that were black and Asian.

The Newton Road is one f***er of a hill to run up when being chased by Nazis

But it was the best of times

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Your missing my point.Techonology,medicine,etc can advance another 100% but its not going to help those that are going to be couch potatoes,it wont help those that have to park within 10 yards of a shopping mall because 30/50 yards is too far to walk.Im sure you can see what I am getting at.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Yeah all that playing out was great in the 70s and early 80s, we got our exercise from being legged by the National Front for having mates that were black and Asian.

Should have wore a nazi uniform like Prince Harry. They'd have left you alone then :P 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Again a valid point but in my world I never saw any of that and I had mates that were black and Asian.  Each of us had their own experiences.

Just now, MakemineVanilla said:

Presumably, you decided to cross the ditch, some time after 1990?

March 1990 to be precise.I rather not get into a big discussion about why we left NZ.Suffice to say that if you look it up you will find that around 1990 a whole flood of people left NZ for Australia.Its a shame because NZ was a really great country to live in.

• Like 1

I think perhaps we are mixing up better times with happier times as an individual. You can't disagree that tech and medicine progress is much better, but are people happier now?

Plus people will generally look back at their youth with rose tinted specs.

• Like 4

Â