Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

How is this different? My parents both worked.  Money was tight, time was restricted just the same.  My dad drove to work, my mom generally walked or caught buses.  We walked to do shopping generally and did a big shop once every two weeks or so using the car.  You make it out that it so much harder.  Yes mortgages are higher but I don’t see how time usage is different.  I think you’re making a false argument there.

I have no idea what you're disagreeing with?  What's your point? That people ARE lazier, that kids can and should play outside more? 

I'm responding to Pussekat, who grew up in the 50s. 

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I have no idea what you're disagreeing with?  What's your point? That people ARE lazier, that kids can and should play outside more? 

I'm responding to Pussekat, who grew up in the 50s. 

You were suggesting life is harder for parents now than decades ago hence the impact on kids being outside. I don’t agree with that.

Edited by nick76

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You were suggesting life is harder for parents now than decades ago hece the impact on kids outside. I don’t agree with that.

I don't think he is suggesting it is harder just that have less time and IME I agree with it.

When I was younger my Dad worked and Mother stayed at home. Tea would be half five on the dot as that is when Dad got back from work in town (mate). By six I was BMX'ing, body popping and fingering girls in Pype Hayes Park.

These days during the week I'm lucky to be home by six, have tea and before you know not it's the kids bed time. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jim said:

I don't think he is suggesting it is harder just that have less time and IME I agree with it.

When I was younger my Dad worked and Mother stayed at home. Tea would be half five on the dot as that is when Dad got back from work in town (mate). By six I was BMX'ing, body popping and fingering girls in Pype Hayes Park.

These days during the week I'm lucky to be home by six, have tea and before you know not it's the kids bed time. 

I guess different people are having different experiences so maybe we are both right.  It’s not when in the decades past or now that is the determining factor but based on the individual’s personal situation.  I don’t think it’s much different generally or people have less time now than before, it’s just about personal circumstances.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jim said:

Is the 5.30 tea due to Dad not being allowed to have a pint in town after work, mate

• Haha 2

Call me old fashioned, but I hate the fact that kids these days spend all their time playing video games in their houses and only speaking to their friends on a headset.

It makes them much harder to find.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Is the 5.30 tea due to Dad not being allowed to have a pint in town after work, mate

Yes. Mate.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My previous football manager saves might suggest differently...

I drove to work and sat in my part of the  site cabin during that 16 hours too

I think I spent the whole of 1996 playing Championship Manager 2. 

There is something missing from the conversation that older guys might not be aware of that I know of because of my nephew being glued to his laptop playing some garbage game and me raising a concern

There is a huge social aspect to games, when I was a kid and it was snes, game boy and PS1 / 2 it didn't really exist, it was just coming that you went in to school and talked about this week's episode of the x files and then eventually it moved on to talking about oasis albums... They talk about games, they form social and friendship circles in the playground around games, it's completely normal, they all play the same thing and it's not as scattergun as adult gaming or even TV watching, it's all honed in to one particular game and if they don't play it or their parents ban them from it that kid will be an outcast

What kids are doing hasn't really changed that much, it's the form of media that has changed -  gaming has overtaken both music and films -  if kids were sat in their bedroom collectively listening to music would you think it was weird or that it was also what you did?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

What kids are doing hasn't really changed that much, it's the form of media that has changed -  gaming has overtaken both music and films -  if kids were sat in their bedroom collectively listening to music would you think it was weird or that it was also what you did?

It's a really interesting point.

Fran Leibowitz says something like (and I'm paraphrasing) "My dad would complain to me that I watched TV. & I said, you didn't have TV when you were growing up but I do so tough shit."

The thing for me is, my 4 year old already understands phone/tablet screens and the big TV. He would watch it all day if we let him. But we see that his mood and demeanor are better without it. So what we you do? Ban screens until he's 18?

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

It's a really interesting point.

Fran Leibowitz says something like (and I'm paraphrasing) "My dad would complain to me that I watched TV. & I said, you didn't have TV when you were growing up but I do so tough shit."

The thing for me is, my 4 year old already understands phone/tablet screens and the big TV. He would watch it all day if we let him. But we see that his mood and demeanor are better without it. So what we you do? Ban screens until he's 18?

Watching TV definitely changes my 5 year olds demeanour and he becomes rather unpleasant after having watched it for a while. 

But he loves watching it. 

We try, and usually fail, to limit his viewing time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There is something missing from the conversation that older guys might not be aware of that I know of because of my nephew being glued to his laptop playing some garbage game and me raising a concern

There is a huge social aspect to games, when I was a kid and it was snes, game boy and PS1 / 2 it didn't really exist, it was just coming that you went in to school and talked about this week's episode of the x files and then eventually it moved on to talking about oasis albums... They talk about games, they form social and friendship circles in the playground around games, it's completely normal, they all play the same thing and it's not as scattergun as adult gaming or even TV watching, it's all honed in to one particular game and if they don't play it or their parents ban them from it that kid will be an outcast

I take on board a lot of this, it’s a kind of joint problem though with their mobile phones, if they’re not on the games they are on their phones. This is not just not my opinion, as a member of our local PTA the subjects crops up with regularity You would be amazed at the amount of children who have their phones confiscated from them during lessons. Yes, we would play subutio and listen to music but we wouldn’t do it for 3 to 5 hours every day and when we were done we would not pick up our phones for as long as possible. It really is a problem.

• Like 1

My lad plays civilisation a fair bit 

Probably the most educational game ever made based on his parents evening where it turns out he seems to know just about every famous civilisation , what they built  and what their capital was and how to extort money from Gandhi  :)

Young me was in a pub getting pissed , young mini me is on a laptop with headphone chatting the same shit with his mates just without the beer and the hangovers going to school / college 

Don’t get me wrong I like the social life that pubs have brought me , but equally I’m not totally upset about having alcohol free kids 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Probably the most educational game ever made based on his parents evening where it turns out he seems to know just about every famous civilisation , what they built  and what their capital was and how to extort money from Gandhi  :)

Young me was in a pub getting pissed , young mini me is on a laptop with headphone chatting the same shit with his mates just without the beer and the hangovers going to school / college 

Don’t get me wrong I like the social life that pubs have brought me , but equally I’m not totally upset about having alcohol free kids 

It’s all changed on July 1, 2007, pubs have not smelt right since 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah, but which one? Some people refuse to move on from 5. Personally, I'm all in on 6.

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Quite right, I found that talking to your mates about a game you were both playing, was probably less divisive than talking about music tastes.

The other proof is that the social aspects of gaming is what triggered feminists to conclude that men and boys were conspiring on line, to do them down, while enjoying Lara Croft's pixelated tits too much.

Â