Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

No no no! 

You need to put them in the context of where music was at the time, it was shit, oasis were bloated and up their own ass as the end had set in, phonics I think we're on jeep and firmly in the middle of the road, blur hadnt started their 2nd wave, manics were a bit bland, everything was a bit bland, think my favourite album in the time pre strokes was by the way... They were like a mini punk shot in the arm, obviously followed by the libs and then about 8 years of indie disco in my early late teens to early 20s 

The stokes were the start of a massive change in guitar music, arguably the last big change in guitar music (unless you class "it's gone shit" as a change) 

Blur hadn't started their second wave? They were balls deep into their second wave when is this it was released. 

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

U2, horrible music, tax dodging charitable hypocrites. I mean don't get me started, but who in there right mind would call themselves Bono and The Edge.😬

See also: Prince, Badly Drawn Boy, Plan B, Fish, Youth, etc., etc. 

By all means adopt a nom de guerre, but at least make it a name. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Blur hadn't started their second wave? They were balls deep into their second wave when is this it was released. 

Had a look and yeah they were in the middle of it but 13 was 1999 so they hadn't released anything for 2 years when is this it came out and it was another 2 years until think tank, even then the strokes is very different to what Blur put out then 

2001 for me was phonics jeep, train drops of jupiter, David Gray, wheat us, mechanical wonder OCS, hybrid theory Linkin theory, echo Park feeder, free all angels Ash, invisible band Travis, blink 182....and then the strokes came out and blew it all away

Also having a look I saw slipknot iowa came out on the same day, that's a great album too

I think that year rnb was edging guitar music for me, was working in a chippie that had a lot of MTV base on, usher, destiny's child, Alicia keys, Jay z, nas, eve, dmx, especially aaliyah all had good albums, strokes brought me back in to guitars though 

On who was about in 2001, I didn't listen to the white stripes, they were a couple of albums in and had the new sound about them but I just never got in to them, hard to say overrated more a band I just never saw the fuss over, 2 or 3 good songs but that was it for me 

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Second Wave? Have people not remembered the rather dull first wave, the Food years

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What about Muddy Waters, or Howlin’ Wolf?

Or a name like Screamin’ Jay Hawkins?

I’ll acknowledge that the first two examples kinda sound like they could be names so are a bit different to, say, Fish.

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Badly Drawn Boy is the name of an act. He's always been known as Damon Gough, He doesn't belong in that list imo There's plenty of them out there, Dan Snaith is Caribou for example, they aren't pretending to have another name

Agree on the others

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

No no no! 

(…)

I mean, Is This It is just a brilliant album, like Desert Island material for me personally.

And their latest album is surprisingly good, too. 

The Strokes are not overrated. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I mean, Is This It is just a brilliant album, like Desert Island material for me personally.

And their latest album is surprisingly good, too. 

The Strokes are not overrated. 

I'd have someday in my top 10 songs 

Rest of their stuff is hit and miss for me, another band with a good greatest hits playlist 

Not seen them live, they're meant to be mardy but I think they're one of my bigger misses from bands of my time 

Edited by villa4europe

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

One mis placed site boot, one stumble across the room, and that machine would have been kindling.

I don’t think I’ve heard this story?! What happened and why didn’t you just kill it and all of his ginger hair?!

Ed Sheehan is probably a good shout out for overrated to be fair as @JoshVilla says, could pretty much be any open mic night. Feel the same way as Amy Winehouse. Just did not understand in anyway why she was so special.

The Strokes always annoyed me that they got a reading headline slot with 1 album (although that in itself was outdone when the Darkness headlined the a year or 2 after). Don’t think it was the major influence for that type of indie music but certainly reminds me of all the student indie clubs that went to (which were infinitely better than the mainstream ones to be fair). Maybe they were one of the first of that reimagined garage sound but I always thought White Stripes were more influential, although I still didn’t particularly like personally. I have appreciated Jack’s label in recent years putting out some decent records though (Sleep, Earth, Boris), so that helps them.

9 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

The Strokes always annoyed me that they got a reading headline slot with 1 album

The same year Greg Puciato pooped on stage, if memory serves. What a time to be alive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Sheehan a good shout. His music isn’t really offensive, it’s very safe, generic pop tunes. Nothing wrong with it.    Is his fame because of his personality? Nope, he doesn’t really have one. Does her really deserve the incredible global stardom? Nah, over rated seems fair.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Prince was his actual name though. Unless you mean when he changed his name to a symbol (see avatar), which was more of a protest against his record label.

While we're on the topic of Prince, massively underrated IMO. Yes, he's known for the 1999, Purple Rain era hits, but his lesser known stuff is absolutely gold. Phenomenal musician.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I don’t think I’ve heard this story?! What happened and why didn’t you just kill it and all of his ginger hair?!

My nipper was in a writing / song writing group or whatever you want to call it and borrowed one of Sheeran’s guitars for a little while. Actually borrowed it off Amy Wadge, just to add another level of name dropping. So I had the guitar knocking around the house for a little while until I returned it.

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Ed Sheehan a good shout. His music isn’t really offensive, it’s very safe, generic pop tunes. Nothing wrong with it.    Is his fame because of his personality? Nope, he doesn’t really have one. Does her really deserve the incredible global stardom? Nah, over rated seems fair.

Ed Sheeran and Adele.

Welcome to middle England.

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My nipper was in a writing / song writing group or whatever you want to call it and borrowed one of Sheeran’s guitars for a little while. Actually borrowed it off Amy Wadge, just to add another level of name dropping. So I had the guitar knocking around the house for a little while until I returned it.

Shame, presume though he would have other guitars, I was hoping that you were going to pull the plug on one of early gigs, saving the world from his mundanity. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Prince was his actual name though. Unless you mean when he changed his name to a symbol (see avatar), which was more of a protest against his record label.

While we're on the topic of Prince, massively underrated IMO. Yes, he's known for the 1999, Purple Rain era hits, but his lesser known stuff is absolutely gold. Phenomenal musician.

The Family version of Nothing Compares 2 U 😍

Â