Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Elbow - terrific first album, okay second one before sliding downwards into melancholic rock for the masses… such a shame.

Guy Garvey seems a decent chap though!

Elbow are a weird one for me. They all seem thoroughly decent, but I absolutely detest their music. It's dreadful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Elbow are a weird one for me. They all seem thoroughly decent, but I absolutely detest their music. It's dreadful. 

I loved their first album and it performed live brilliantly too but then they began the inevitable slide downwards musically as their fan base increased… 

not a fan of their recent stuff (3rd album onwards!) 

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Grounds For Divorce is the only track of theirs I've heard that isn't crap.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Grounds For Divorce is the only track of theirs I've heard that isn't crap.

The cover of Independent Woman is good too but other than that...

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Elbow - terrific first album, okay second one before sliding downwards into melancholic rock for the masses… such a shame.

Guy Garvey seems a decent chap though!

This nails it.

Garvey's radio show is better than his music

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Elbow - terrific first album

Asleep in the Back? I bought that, to see what all the fuss was about. I found it unbelievably dull. Gave it to a charity shop. 

(Which is at least better than The Pixies' much-lauded 'Doolittle'. I hated that so much I threw it forcibly into the bin). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

Take That.  Basically treated like royalty, for producing generic boy band pop songs.  Nothing wrong with generic pop songs, there is a place for them, but they are a really good example of awesome marketing rather than awesome music.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Take That.  Basically treated like royalty, for producing generic boy band pop songs.  Nothing wrong with generic pop songs, there is a place for them, but they are a really good example of awesome marketing rather than awesome music.

Agreed, but I thought this was for actual artists or bands, not manufactured cack ;)

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I loved their first album and it performed live brilliantly too but then they began the inevitable slide downwards musically as their fan base increased… 

not a fan of their recent stuff (3rd album onwards!) 

I think the first 4 were pretty good and the last one I bought was probably about 10 years ago, but since then....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

My nipper was in a writing / song writing group or whatever you want to call it and borrowed one of Sheeran’s guitars for a little while. Actually borrowed it off Amy Wadge, just to add another level of name dropping. So I had the guitar knocking around the house for a little while until I returned it.

was it just me who said "who" to themselves as they read this 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

Not sure if they're overrated, though.  Definitely good marketing, but a fair few of their songs (whilst not to my taste; I mostly love heavy rock and drum & bass :Dare "good" and they did it better than any other boy band I can think of.

As an aside, this thread seems to have gone down the route of "famous bands I don't like" rather than overrated ones.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

As an aside, this thread seems to have gone down the route of "famous bands I don't like" rather than overrated ones.

Which was the point I made re: Queen. I don't think they're overrated. I think their high reputation is well deserved - even though I don't like them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i once saw them support coldplay

not much moshing that night

There really better have been some DHUTWU involved in this or you were paid to be there, otherwise there is no excuse for such behaviour 

Just now, bickster said:

There really better have been some DHUTWU involved in this or you were paid to be there, otherwise there is no excuse for such behaviour 

oasis in manchester on the saturday night, coldplay in bolton on the sunday, both done off touts outside

oasis and the night out in manchester afterwards was incredible, coldplay was one hell of a come down, its the night they did the fix you video, coldplay live around the release of the 3rd album were ok, i loved AROBTTH it was just dull compared to the night before

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

was it just me who said "who" to themselves as they read this 

In your defence, you don’t really like music.

She’s got a Grammy! Written songs for Ed Sheehan, James Blunt, Kylie Minogue, Boyzone, Mike. Collaborated with Seat’s already referenced Eg White.

So a fairly connected industry person, that gives up weekends for free, to try and teach kids to write music and lyrics and play and enjoy music.

I might be a fanboy!

Â