Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think Queen are overrated. But that's because, everyone I know thinks Queen are shit.

While not a fan of Queen, I don't think of them as over-rated. Great stage show. Probably the best I have seen, not that I have seen many. Don't own any of their music nor am I likely to own any. 

Speaking of over-rated ... Any band I have not heard of is by definition not over-rated.

10 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Pink Floyd (excluding Syds songs especially See Emily Play)I know Dark Side can make a lot of sense with the right medication but the rest is just overblown tosh.

Can't agree. Floyd albums are generally excellent  though I'm one of those who doesn't think DSOTM is all that. Great Gig In The Sky is **** awful.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I like The Beatles. However if someone made a case for “Sgt Pepper’s…” being one of, if not the most overrated album ever, I’d probably find myself agreeing with a fair few of the points. For me, the inclusion of “A day in the life” is the main saving grace.

If you like this track , can I suggest looking on YT for the Jeff Beck version; Live From Ronnie Scott's I think. Features the brilliant Vinnie Colaiuta on drums. I wonder if many of those who knock the  Beatles were around when they first started ? Teenagers were fed a diet of American 'pop' singers like Bobby Vee, Frankie Avalon, Dion etc. The Beatles were something new and revolutionary at the time - also introduced many people to the likes of Chuck Berry and other black American artists. I never saw them live but know they played at The Plaza in Rookery Road , Handsworth. They may not have been the greatest musicians (bass players I have played with often rate Paul M though) and they could have had Buddy Rich on drums but I don't think he would have improved them. Just an opinion. (and a pity they came from Liverpool:) )

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

im sure rolling stones had changed sgt peppers from best to most important or something like that 

there was a BBC documentary on it for the 50th anniversary a few years back which broke down every song and talked about the recording techniques and how they did it all and how they half pioneered it and used new techniques for it, at least "new" techniques for a major album (insert objection from those who dont rate the beatles here...) but really that means a lot of the credit should go to george martin and also the fact that because they were so huge, because they weren't touring anymore they got the luxury of a year in the studio to **** about with anything they wanted

for me personally the opening 4 songs are alright and then day in the life is brilliant (the story behind that song is good) not sure which album i would say is the best, i really like about 50% of the beatles stuff but i dont really explore their albums that much, i dont think theres a complete perfect beatles album but again thats the time and how they released music, some of the singles that arent on albums are incredible, i could sit and listen to the red and the blue compilation albums all day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

im sure rolling stones had changed sgt peppers from best to most important or something like that 

I've been wondering when Jagger and co reviewed albums. The I twigged that you meant Rolling Stone (singular) magazine. 

• Like 1

a lot of the credit should go to george martin and also the fact that because they were so huge, because they weren't touring anymore they got the luxury of a year in the studio to **** about with anything they wanted

This. There's a good podcast called "Producing The Beatles" (it's on Spotify) if you're interested in how they did stuff in the studio. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This. There's a good podcast called "Producing The Beatles" (it's on Spotify) if you're interested in how they did stuff in the studio. 

And there's this - link to audio podcast thingy about the remix by his son. I am very much not a beadles fan, but it's quite interesting.

I travelled to New York to meet Giles Martin, who spearheaded the project, to find that out...

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

on a similar vein  , I watched one on youtube the other day for the producer who made Heroes (Bowie)

you listen to the different layers and think WTF  .. and then they blend it all in and Bam 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

there was a BBC documentary on it for the 50th anniversary a few years back which broke down every song and talked about the recording techniques and how they did it all and how they half pioneered it and used new techniques for it, at least "new" techniques for a major album (insert objection from those who dont rate the beatles here...) but really that means a lot of the credit should go to george martin and also the fact that because they were so huge, because they weren't touring anymore they got the luxury of a year in the studio to **** about with anything they wanted

for me personally the opening 4 songs are alright and then day in the life is brilliant (the story behind that song is good) not sure which album i would say is the best, i really like about 50% of the beatles stuff but i dont really explore their albums that much, i dont think theres a complete perfect beatles album but again thats the time and how they released music, some of the singles that arent on albums are incredible, i could sit and listen to the red and the blue compilation albums all day

Pet Sounds was the album that spurred the Beatles on to make SPLHCB. They were in a friendly rivalry with the Beach Boys (mainly Brian). Mcfartney has always said that anyway (and Pet Sounds isn't even in my top 5 Beach Boys albums...maybe not top ten either).

30 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Pet Sounds was the album that spurred the Beatles on to make SPLHCB. They were in a friendly rivalry with the Beach Boys (mainly Brian). Mcfartney has always said that anyway (and Pet Sounds isn't even in my top 5 Beach Boys albums...maybe not top ten either).

I think The Beach Boys as a band are underrated. But Pet Sounds as an album is overrated. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think The Beach Boys as a band are underrated. But Pet Sounds as an album is overrated. 

Nail on the head there Moonster.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

BTS

I'd never heard of them, but they were on a table next to us in a restaurant in New York a few years ago.  They all spent all meal on their phones, only stopping to have the odd photo with fans who'd stop by and ask them.

That's assuming you mean the Korean band. If BTS stands for something else, then apologies!

22 minutes ago, Risso said:

I'd never heard of them, but they were on a table next to us in a restaurant in New York a few years ago.  They all spent all meal on their phones, only stopping to have the odd photo with fans who'd stop by and ask them.

That's assuming you mean the Korean band. If BTS stands for something else, then apologies!

You got it first time.

In all honesty I’ve never knowingly heard any of their music but given what little I do know about them I feel safe in stating that whatever their standing is in the music world, it’s overrated.

But then to be fair, you can add any girl / boy group alongside them.

I'm sure I read or heard somewhere that yeah pet sounds was the first really complete "album" not like what the beatles et Al were doing with their singles and then covers and various bits etc or just 10 songs thrown together 

Although I’ve read various comments from Brian Wilson basically saying the same thing of Rubber Soul and it’s influence on him.

A healthy bit of competition, regardless.

• Like 1

Â