Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Gotta be U2 hasn’t it? Nobody will ever admit to being a U2 fan.

My mate's son (40) absolutely worships them, thinks they're the greatest band of all time. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can't tell if being serious.

I think it's a fair point to be honest. Bowie has by my reckoning 6 good albums, which wouldn't put him at the top of my list of over rated arists but he certainly is over-rated, his last good album was released in 1977. He had a period of about 6 years where he was fantastic, pretty much everything since 1977 has been substandard tosh

I don't even know why this topic is a discussion as The Beatles are obviously the most over-rated band, followed by Queen and then you can probably put Oasis next in close contention with U2 and Coldplay

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I think it's a fair point to be honest. Bowie has by my reckoning 6 good albums, which wouldn't put him at the top of my list of over rated arists but he certainly is over-rated, his last good album was released in 1977. He had a period of about 6 years where he was fantastic, pretty much everything since 1977 has been substandard tosh

I don't even know why this topic is a discussion as The Beatles are obviously the most over-rated band, followed by Queen and then you can probably put Oasis next in close contention with U2 and Coldplay

I totally agree with your Bowie assessment. 

Obviously I don't agree about The Beatles, but we've been over that enough times. 

Queen are a funny one, because while I don't much like them myself, I think they had genuine talent, and I can understand why some people would. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Depends. If a comp has a unique track I can't get elsewhere, I'll buy it. If it's just duplicates I won't. 

However, I do have the occasional collector's dilemma. Case in point: the Dylan 'official bootleg series' of outtakes, rarities, etc. is often issued in two versions - typically a standard priced 2CD and a deluxe multi-disc box with glossy book. I usually buy both, but I did baulk at Volume 8 (Tell Tale Signs) which was only 3 CDs in the deluxe, crazily expensive, and very limited edition - so I sourced an 'alternative' download of the third disc. But the lack of that nice box on the shelf is nagging at me, and my finger is twitching over secondhand copies on Discogs for nearly 200 quid. I need help. 

Edited by mjmooney

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Bowies OK as a greatest hits artist, I've got a Spotify play list of 20 songs by him which are all good for me

When you then put that in to the context of him recording over 400 songs the percentage of good ones is low 

I also dont particularly like the sound of his voice when listening to him live 

However rise and fall of ziggy stardust is a brilliant album, I would say that's the only complete album of his that I like 

Edited by villa4europe

Mogwai.

Jolly nice chaps by all accounts. Doesn't make them a good band though.

Went to a festival a while back and heard them playing. It was just an hour of one chord droning. They may have played a few different songs in there, but it was difficult to tell.

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I totally agree with your Bowie assessment. 

Obviously I don't agree about The Beatles, but we've been over that enough times. 

Queen are a funny one, because while I don't much like them myself, I think they had genuine talent, and I can understand why some people would. 

Yeah I don't get the Queen hate, there are much MUCH shitter bands. I've said before, Queen's first 4 albums are great, and stuff from their later catalogue is decent too (although not all of it obviously).

If they come on the radio I won't change channel like I do with lots of other bobbins.

In my case some of the bands are probably not over rated, I just don't like 'em.

4 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The Coldstream Guards.  

They ruined so many FA Cup Finals in the 70s.  

Couldn't hold a candle to the pipes and drums of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Couldn't hold a candle to the pipes and drums of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. 

My favourite is the band of the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers.     

They way they march whilst programming those synthesisers is breath-taking.  

44 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I don't get the Queen hate, there are much MUCH shitter bands.

I hate them. They're not "shit" at all, as musicians - that's not why I hate them. It's the sound they make that I hate. It's unlistenable for me. A fair chunk of that is down to the production, I guess, some down to Mercury's voice, some to the keys and chords they use. Muse have the same effect on me, as do a handful of other bands.

Oh, and they wrote loads of shit songs :).

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

My favourite is the band of the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers.     

They way they march whilst programming those synthesisers is breath-taking.  

Ooh, can we reach consensus on the England band? You know, the one that turns up at England matches and plays.

I wish they would just stop. Please.

7 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Ooh, can we reach consensus on the England band? You know, the one that turns up at England matches and plays.

I wish they would just stop. Please.

They're noise pretending to be atmosphere 

Same with all bands / drums at football stadiums 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

Anyone mentioned Elvis yet, now that's some huge over-rated horse dung

On 21/08/2018 at 18:55, mjmooney said:

If we're allowed solo artists, it's Elvis Presley, by a country mile. 

Yep, that Mooney fella a few years ago - Always liked you Mike 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/08/2018 at 20:23, Designer1 said:

Elvis by a **** country mile.

Can't stand the club style singing, burger eating, blue suede shoes wearing bellend.

Oh, and I did too...

• Like 2

Â