Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

24 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Although I’ve read various comments from Brian Wilson basically saying the same thing of Rubber Soul and it’s influence on him.

A healthy bit of competition, regardless.

Indeed, correct. All this petered out after "Smile" wasn't released (it really was better than Sgt Pepper) and Mr Wilson headed towards mental breakdown.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

on a similar vein  , I watched one on youtube the other day for the producer who made Heroes (Bowie)

you listen to the different layers and think WTF  .. and then they blend it all in and Bam 

There's also a documentary on Sky / Now about Hansa Studios called By The Wall which is very good that deals with Heroes and the Berlin Trilogy (plus Depeche Mode and all the other bands who recorded there)

The story of the legendary Hansa studios in Berlin, which used to overlook the Wall and has hosted many well-known acts including David Bowie, Iggy Pop, U2 and Brian Eno.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

All this petered out after "Smile" wasn't released (it really was better than Sgt Pepper) 

This is where I would differ. I'm not much of a fan of Pepper (my least favourite Beatles album), but every reconstruction I've of heard of Smile, it sounds pretty crap to me. 

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is where I would differ. I'm not much of a fan of Pepper (my least favourite Beatles album), but every reconstruction I've of heard of Smile, it sounds pretty crap to me. 

What about the 2011 box set? Pretty much how it would have been.

Granted, it was different to anything before it and might have bombed. But I doubt it, on the tail of Good Vibrations.

It went top 10 over here in 2004 when Brian released it as a solo album.

57 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

What about the 2011 box set? Pretty much how it would have been.

Granted, it was different to anything before it and might have bombed. But I doubt it, on the tail of Good Vibrations.

It went top 10 over here in 2004 when Brian released it as a solo album.

I know, I bought it. Played it a few times trying to get into it, failed. Good Vibes was a fine single, Heroes and Villains was, er, OK. 

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure there’s any such thing as an over rated band.

You can look at sales. You can look at awards. You can bring in personal taste.

But there’s no such metric as over rated.

Music is music.

• Like 1

Goes without saying, but Ed Sheeran.

The thing about him is, his music isn't even what you'd call terrible. At least not as bad as Cardi B or any of that bollocks. It's just run of the mill singer songwriter stuff that you can hear at any open mic night anywhere. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that he's reached such astronomical levels of success is baffling.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

The thing about him is, his music isn't even what you'd call terrible. At least not as bad as Cardi B or any of that bollocks. It's just run of the mill singer songwriter stuff that you can hear at any open mic night anywhere. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that he's reached such astronomical levels of success is baffling.

We should all blame @chrisp65for Ed Sheeran, he could have strangled that career in its infancy

33 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Motorhead haven't been mentioned. Very overrated.

Plus the Ramones who are more famous for their t-shirts than their songs…

like Motörhead, it’s ‘fashionable’ to like them and wear their T-shirt without knowing anything other than there one or two singles.

(I actually don’t mind the Ramones or Motörhead)

54 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

That very fact rather pleases me. In a world where the standard pop music approach is massive overproduction and image is all, I find it quite heartening that a bespectacled ginger geek with an acoustic guitar can become so popular. I mean, I find his songs dull and forgettable, and there are hundreds of singer/songwriters who deserve it more, but I still prefer him to some bloody blingy rapper or EDM bimbo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

As they popped up in the gig thread, The Strokes.  The fervour of that first album of theirs was completely unwarranted.

No no no! 

You need to put them in the context of where music was at the time, it was shit, oasis were bloated and up their own ass as the end had set in, phonics I think we're on jeep and firmly in the middle of the road, blur hadnt started their 2nd wave, manics were a bit bland, everything was a bit bland, think my favourite album in the time pre strokes was by the way... They were like a mini punk shot in the arm, obviously followed by the libs and then about 8 years of indie disco in my early late teens to early 20s 

The stokes were the start of a massive change in guitar music, arguably the last big change in guitar music (unless you class "it's gone shit" as a change) 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The stokes were the start of a massive change in guitar music, arguably the last big change in guitar music (unless you class "it's gone shit" as a change) 

Paving the way for Landfill Indie is not something that should be heralded :D

Â