Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

There are certain bands that do, or did continue to sell even when their considered good period has long gone. It's as if people have said I am in this too deep, I have to continue to buy this stuff as I have their other albums. U2/RHCP/Coldplay/Oasis. That's an axis of bad that the western world seems to think are/were of a quality. Appalling nonsense, but easy targets. 

So properly over rated, for me at least it's Radiohead. It's part me not getting them past their first 2 albums and part far too over rated. 

41 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

There are certain bands that do, or did continue to sell even when their considered good period has long gone. It's as if people have said I am in this too deep, I have to continue to buy this stuff as I have their other albums. U2/RHCP/Coldplay/Oasis. That's an axis of bad that the western world seems to think are/were of a quality. Appalling nonsense, but easy targets. 

So properly over rated, for me at least it's Radiohead. It's part me not getting them past their first 2 albums and part far too over rated. 

I continued to buy Depeche Mode albums well after their best before date just out of habit.

Radiohead were very close to the top of my list.  Kind of a Morrissey thing going on.

As long as you write something as dreary as possible you're automatically held up as some kind of Messiah.

No you're not. You're just someone who writes dreary song's.

I could draw parallels with modern art.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I continued to buy Depeche Mode albums well after their best before date just out of habit.

Radiohead were very close to the top of my list.  Kind of a Morrissey thing going on.

As long as you write something as dreary as possible you're automatically held up as some kind of Messiah.

No you're not. You're just someone who writes dreary song's.

I could draw parallels with modern art.

Buying beyond anything good I am more than guilty of. I have a pre order for an album coming on Friday by a country singer called Toby Keith, even the friendliest of critics say it's been close to a decade since he released anything stellar. They are wrong of course as his last studio album was excellent but nothing close to his glory years. 

The completist nerd in me says that if you've got a comprehensive collection by one artist, you have to keep going. When Bob Dylan brought out those Great American Songbook albums - Shadows in the Night, Fallen Angels and Triplicate - I remember some people on one of the Dylan forums saying they'd got absolutely everything by him, but decided not to buy Triplicate. That seems wrong to me. Even if you don't like the album, to have everything except one triggers my OCD. If I was advising a newbie I'd probably say "Buy Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde and Blood On The Tracks - or even just a good compilation - and that will do", but me, I'm in for the long haul, I have to have the lot, warts and all. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The completist nerd in me says that if you've got a comprehensive collection by one artist, you have to keep going

Does that include compilations and such like, Mike, or are they out of scope kind of thing?

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

Does that include compilations and such like, Mike, or are they out of scope kind of thing?

Depends. If a comp has a unique track I can't get elsewhere, I'll buy it. If it's just duplicates I won't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Gotta be U2 hasn’t it? Nobody will ever admit to being a U2 fan.

They make music for people that when asked what music they like say "anything that radio X play". 

Â