Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

On 12/10/2021 at 07:02, rjw63 said:

Can't agree. Floyd albums are generally excellent  though I'm one of those who doesn't think DSOTM is all that. Great Gig In The Sky is **** awful.

Wish you were here was a classic, didn't rate the stuff with Syd

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Wish you were here was a classic, didn't rate the stuff with Syd

Agreed on that - Wish You Were Here is by far my fave Floyd LP.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Packaging is a pain in the arse though

Mine hasn't got the black plastic outer cover and it's still worth about forty quid.

48 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

She’s got a Grammy! Written songs for Ed Sheehan, James Blunt, Kylie Minogue, Boyzone, Mike.

Nope, she's never written any songs for me. 

49 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

In your defence, you don’t really like music.

She’s got a Grammy! Written songs for Ed Sheehan, James Blunt, Kylie Minogue, Boyzone, Mike. Collaborated with Seat’s already referenced Eg White.

So a fairly connected industry person, that gives up weekends for free, to try and teach kids to write music and lyrics and play and enjoy music.

I might be a fanboy!

I hope he's better than that mongie looking ginger twunt.

8 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Oasis

A second rate Beatles tribute band, carried by a cliched rebel PR image.

Oh I am throwing in Nick Drake, like Bolan more famous for dying young than actual music.

1. Yes 

2. No 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

In your defence, you don’t really like music.

She’s got a Grammy! Written songs for Ed Sheehan, James Blunt, Kylie Minogue, Boyzone, Mike. Collaborated with Seat’s already referenced Eg White.

So a fairly connected industry person, that gives up weekends for free, to try and teach kids to write music and lyrics and play and enjoy music.

I might be a fanboy!

Ouch :) i like music just not anything written after about 1996.

But , from the list of artists she collaborated with I now know why I’ve never heard of her … 

10 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Oasis

Oh I am throwing in Nick Drake, like Bolan more famous for dying young than actual music.

Agree with @mjmooney.
You’re right about Oasis, although calling them a 2nd rates Beatles tribute band is more of a compliment than they deserve. 

Bit Nick Drake, whilst not my usual taste, is really great, just reading his name has got Hazy Jane II stuck in my head! Some great songs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ouch :) i like music just not anything written after about 1996.

But , from the list of artists she collaborated with I now know why I’ve never heard of her … 

It’s one of those weird ones, you hear her live and you go away thinking wow this is the next massive massive thing… then the CD doesn’t quite translate.

When she’s picked up a guitar and sung something live I’ve been bowled over. Listen to a recording and nope, not my thing at all.

Which I guess brings us to: great live bands that do disappointing albums.

She is typical of that whole trenche of people making a happy living out of the music industry, playing folk festivals, releasing albums, writing for others… and nobody has heard of them.

I’d have to admit, when my mate said he’d lined up a few weekend sessions with Amy for the kids I didn’t know who that was and couldn’t quite work out why he was so excited. My first thought was that she can’t be that good if she volunteers on Saturdays!

14 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Oasis

Oasis I agree but no not Bolan. T-Rex were great!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Oasis

Oasis 100% Agreed. 

Not heard enough Nick Drake to comment. 

Would you include Jeff Buckley for that reason? Curious, as I'm on the fence. 

• Like 1

Can I get a judgment on Arctic Monkeys please?

For me their first album was epic. Acerbic, witty, down to earth. Second was OK.

Then they slid off so hard into ambient shoegazing that the city of Sheffield had to spontaneously generate The Reytons as a defence mechanism to do what the Arctic Monkeys should have been doing for the last 10 years. 

Â