January Transfers 2019/20

sne

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Another option is Shane long, out of contract in the summer but Southampton have a price I'm sure. We need someone with his energy. 

Long is an interesting one. He is 32 and so it would need to be free and on a short term basis but he could play the role that we need him to play very well in my opinion. It would also be hilarious to witness the meltdown on here if we signed a striker who threatens the goal even less than Wesley 😂.

Think we'll get 3 loans in. Winger, centre forward and midfielder. Think the owners will be reluctant to spend big. 

Thought Cantwell was excellent yesterday. (Not to sign in Jan, but possibly summer).

Need pace on the wing, both trez and el ghazi are too slow. 

Would love to sign someone like Phillip's ( a little nasty)

Forwards, God knows.

37 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

But to put him in our team he has to do the role wesley has been. Be a direct threat, control balls smashed 40 yards down the pitch and bring others into play. Chase across the back 4. Pukki at villa wouldnt get to play like pukki at norwich IMO. 

Keinan seems to perform better because hes more mobile and our team needs a mobile striker. 

You make a good point that judging a player in the context of the team that he’s playing for and fitting him into a different team is a tricky job. Over the years it’s not been a job we’ve been particularly good at either. 

Pukki is an absolute boss and is exactly the type of striker our whole team needs (busy, rapid, always on the shoulder, stretches backlines, pushes defences back,scores goals, gets teams up the pitch, provides respite)

If we had someone of his ilk instead of Antigoals we would already be mid table.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Pukki is an absolute boss and is exactly the type of striker our whole team needs (busy, rapid, always on the shoulder, stretches backlines, pushes defences back,scores goals, gets teams up the pitch, provides respite)

If we had someone of his ilk instead of Antigoals we would already be mid table.

TBF mate we have to create chances for the strikers - our issues as a team run FAR deeper than just a striker.

Puki from a relegation rival isn't going to happen!!

1 minute ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

TBF mate we have to create chances for the strikers - our issues as a team run FAR deeper than just a striker.

Puki from a relegation rival isn't going to happen!!

No of course it is not but people turning their noses up is strange.

Also, if we actually had someone we could pass forward to that runs off his man we might create a chance or two.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

As for his age (all players his age) I really wouldn't be against, actually in favour of the club dropping big money on a stop gap ready made footballer.

A Darren Bent if you will.

At that time Darren Bent actually transformed our season in that he scored the goals that kept us up. He was expensive at around £20m but worth it.

The trouble is finding a player, that could have a similar impact, is much harder now. We were an established, if on the slide, PL team then and a player like Bent would probably be £60m+ now.

We have to be much smarter than we were in the summer that’s for sure. 

28 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Heard a loan rumour for Fran Beltran from Celta Vigo. Know nothings about him but there u go.

Oh I do hope not! I know absolutely nothing about him but a quick google search tells me he is a young, diminutive and lightweight centre mid! We need power

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

At that time Darren Bent actually transformed our season in that he scored the goals that kept us up. He was expensive at around £20m but worth it.

The trouble is finding a player, that could have a similar impact, is much harder now. We were an established, if on the slide, PL team then and a player like Bent would probably be £60m+ now.

We have to be much smarter than we were in the summer that’s for sure. 

There are obviously cheap options that will hit the ground running.  But it requires good scouting. Maybe we just need to invest more in scouting? 

The Wes signing begs the question what kinda scouts we got working for us. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There are obviously cheap options that will hit the ground running.  But it requires good scouting. Maybe we just need to invest more in scouting? 

The Wes signing begs the qiestion what kinda scouts we got working for us. 

Björn Engels agent Evert Maeschalck claimed it was he who suggested Wes and Nakamba to Jesus.

Dean Smith prioritised the bolstering of his backline, while also adding some talent in midfield and up front with the likes of Marvelous Nakamba and Wesley Moraes.

A trend that was quite interesting in all this was where some of these players were playing, or had played in their past: Belgium.

Both Nakamba and Wesley were signed from Club Brugge, while Björn Engels and Trezeguet had past through the Jupiler Pro League recently (Brugge (again) and Anderlecht respectively).

Before that, there was also Lovre Kalinić, who was signed from Gent, and Aston Villa have one man to thank in particular for all these transfers: Evert Maeschalck, who works for the SportPlus agency, and oversees the affair of Engels, among others.

Sport/Foot looked at this new Belgian influx in their weekly magazine, and reported that Aston Villa’s technical director, Jesús García Pitarch, first got in touch when he started taking an interest in the Belgian defender before his move to Reims.

Screenshot-2019-12-11-at-17.25.30-300x20Through that initial contact, Maeschalck helped the Spaniard discover the leagues in Belgium.

He explained: “At the time, many players at Aston Villa were nearing the end of their contract. The club were looking for replacements. We then explored the Belgian market”.

As well as eventually bringing Engels to Villa Park, Sport/Foot reveal Maeschalck also helped Aston Villa in their efforts to sign both Wesley and Nakamba.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/pitarch-connection-helped-aston-villa-raid-belgian-market-summer-helped-three-transfers/

In addition to everyone's wish list of striker and winger. I would opt for  Nemanja Matic for some strength and experience in the midfield. 31yo but could do 2 or 3 years for us, also wants first team football he wont be getting at Utd. I also have real concern at LB where Targetts positioning and constant bombing forward is leaving gaping holes. Almost at the point of preferring Taylor....:(:(:( 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The Wes signing begs the question what kinda scouts we got working for us. 

The fact that 90 percent or more of us had no clue who the likes of Pukki was (And seemingly a host of teams/managers) proves this.

I crapped myself every time he had the ball up front ffs. Deadly.

11 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Unless we offer BIG money mid-season they not selling anyone Zab! I mean like over £20 million plus, some of their very good players and that will get rejected no doubt!

They will ask over £20mil for Bryan Mbeumo that they bought for £5.5mil in summer from Troyes.

Our recruitment team have come up with yet another gem, I think he's an even better buy than Maupay and Benrahma, he has been a joy to watch this season, he's very strong, a runner, tackler, goal provider and can score with his head and feet, and 9 goals already, considering he's only 20 and in his first 6 months in English football, there is so much more I feel to come from him as he seems to gain confidence each time he plays, I wouldn't be surprised to see him fetching well over £20 million and setting a new record amount for us, if we were to sell him.

I can't see us selling anyone in the Jan Window as we are slowly gaining on the top two, and it could be worth players staying with us, just in case we get to the promised land, but offers of BIG money are very hard for a club and player to turn down.

• Like 1

I for one cant wait to see our front 4 of Pukki, Benteke, Long and Giroud  come the end of January. 

We're gonna score loads of goals. 

Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Targett

Nakamba

McGinn - Luiz - Hourihane  

Grealish   

Giroud - Pukki - Benteke - Long

Edited by Tayls