January Transfers 2019/20

sne

That Rashica transfer will not happen with us sat so low, it's incredibly unlikely even if we win the next four.

The equivalent is pretty much Grealish going and signing for Werder Bremen, forgetting the extra wealth on offer in the PL.

He's their talisman and best player by a mile.

I reckon we could get Ante Rebic on loan with a purchase price built in from Milan. Not too dissimilar as a player, stock not quite as high as Rashica right now.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

That Rashica transfer will not happen with us sat so low, it's incredibly unlikely even if we win the next two.

The equivalent is pretty much Grealish going and signing for Werder Bremen, forgetting the extra wealth on offer in the PL.

He's their talisman and best player by a mile.

I reckon we could get Ante Rebic on loan with a purchase price built in from Milan. Not too dissimilar as a player, stock not quite as high as Rashica right now.

Isn't he at Milan on loan from Frankfurt?

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Isn't he at Milan on loan from Frankfurt?

Wow yeah, a 2 year loan! Didn't know that, thought it was a signing. Don't know rules anymore but I think he could play for us as he hasn't played for Frankfurt this season?

They could cancel the Milan deal and send him to Birmingham, that's a huge upgrade for the lad. He'll be desperate to play before the Euros and would fit into the team well I think. Might have some competitors.

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm sure Man U would happily chip in to have him off the books and he is hardly playing so depends on his character as to whether he would come to us to get a kick.

Rojo is another who'll be on offer.

Can't say I rate him that much, always struck me as a bit of a brainless CB who lunges in so much but he can play there and also cover LB so could possibly be on our radar.

If we get Bowen id be really happy with that signing. I think he is a better player than BenRahma. BenRahma is someone who struggled in France whilst he has done well since he is doing it against cloggers.

Bowen just looks waay better than the championship whereas BenRahma looks good in the championship.

• Like 1

When asked about transfers the other week, Dean said that they had lots of players in which they were interested and hopefully the press would not be aware of any of them. I think we could see a few left field signings that only hit the media as they are happening. Hopefully they are left field because nobody would ever have seen them coming rather than nobody has ever heard of them!

24 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If we get Bowen id be really happy with that signing. I think he is a better player than BenRahma. BenRahma is someone who struggled in France whilst he has done well since he is doing it against cloggers.

Bowen just looks waay better than the championship whereas BenRahma looks good in the championship.

LOL

Benrahma  actually did quite well in France in both Ligue 2 and Ligue 1 albeit he only played briefly in the latter. I personally think he has a better all round game than Bowen and would probably be more likely to succeed in the premier league. Gregg Evans seems to be insisting that the money's not there to make any big money singings so I doubt we will be getting either Benrahma or Bowen, more than likely our signings will come from the European leagues like in the summer, if we use the loan market wisely with options to buy we can still bring in a few that can hopefully make a big difference though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Benrahma has 3 goals and 5 assists this season.

That for me is not a very good level of output at a level of football that is light years from the Premier League. El Ghazi has a similar level of output at this level. In the bits of seen of Benrahma he looks very good on the eye, but his finishing in particular looks very poor to me, it's the opposite of composed.

For me there's something not quite right about him and I have massive concerns about his capacity to deliver goals and assists, which really for the price tag talked about should be a lot higher. 

Bowen for me is actually delivering a lot more and would probably be a bit cheaper, seems to me to be the better option.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

It’s an Arabic name. BenRahma is two words Ben (should be Bin or Ibn) means son of , Rahma is most likely his father’s name. Therefore as an Arabic and English teacher teacher I refuse to not capitalise his father’s name. Ta.

Thanks, you learning something new everyday!

• Like 1

He might be out of our price range now but I'd like us to go for Morelos (or someone with that mentality)

Someone who does whatever it takes to score goals and get into scoring positions, even if it brings some yellow and even red cards.

Suarez and van Nistelrooy were evil bastards but they score goals. Morelos is obviously not even close to them on ability but he seem to have almost the same drive.

Our current striker seem terrified to get into the box, we need the opposite. 

No idea if Morelos can cut it at this level or if he has the mentality to stay focused if he gets a big contract.

I don't mind that he's a bit of a hot head thou, we've been the friendliest club in football for too long and suffered for it.

Edited by sne
Typo
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, useless said:

Gregg Evans seems to be insisting that the money's not there to make any big money singings so I doubt we will be getting either Benrahma or Bowen, more than likely our signings will come from the European leagues like in the summer, if we use the loan market wisely with options to buy we can still bring in a few that can hopefully make a big difference though.

I doubt that Gregg Evans knows this for sure. I would guess that our billionaires would be prepared to fund say a couple of signings at a combined total of around £25m for example, given that would be likely to reduce the risk of relegation, the team being broke up and of us losing PL revenue for at least one season. I doubt that we will be in the market for a player or players costing £20m and upwards, each though. This might be what Gregg Evans refers to as "big money signings". :detect:  

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Bowen's contract is still down as expiring this summer, albeit with an option to extend for a year.  Does a player have to accept an extension if offered it?  I'm never sure how they work.  I'd really like us to sign him as he offers a left footed option in the front three (Jota is a lovely footballer but doesn't have the physicality) and hopefully decent value.

Goals and assists don't tell you the whole story if they did it would lead people to conclude that Hourihane and Adomah were better players than Grealish whilst we were in the championship. Besides Bowen's assist record isn't that great either, four this season, one last season and two the season before, and whilst he scores goals plenty of players have scored goals in the championship and then not been able to do so in the premier league, I wouldn't be against signing him as I think he's a promising player but not sure if he would be the sure fire hit that some think.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

It’s an Arabic name. BenRahma is two words Ben (should be Bin or Ibn) means son of , Rahma is most likely his father’s name. Therefore as an Arabic and English teacher teacher I refuse to not capitalise his father’s name. Ta.

Whilst I'm not disputing what you've said - is it not more correct to spell his name the way he actually spells it? Reminds me of someone telling James McClean that he was pronouncing his own surname incorrectly a few years back.

9 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Whilst I'm not disputing what you've said - is it not more correct to spell his name the way he actually spells it? Reminds me of someone telling James McClean that he was pronouncing his own surname incorrectly a few years back.

Do we actually know how he spells it?  It's all in capitals on the back of his shirt.