New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

20 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I don't think we need one in January. There are enough worse teams in the league to suggest we'll stay up. I do think we need one or two new strikers in the summer, when there will be more players available at better prices.

Well we are 3 points from 2nd bottom, goals give you a better chance of staying up.

I would prefer us to not have to rely on other teams being worse, rather us get to 40 points off our own bat.

Having a more aggressive striker like mitrovic who can fight up front on his own to me seems now more than ever required. Even if he is bought just for the remainder of the season to as best as possible, insure our safety.

Next season we can look to invest again in 1 or 2 proper upgrades.

On 27/10/2019 at 00:28, KentVillan said:

I don't think we need one in January. There are enough worse teams in the league to suggest we'll stay up. I do think we need one or two new strikers in the summer, when there will be more players available at better prices.

It's the one position I think we desperately need to sign. We have a hit and miss performer as first choice and an unproven struggling to score second choice.

If we had signed Maupay I don't think this thread would have even been started. I know he's scored the same amount of goals as Wes, but in this team I reckon he would have had more.!

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 22:27, AXD said:

Bowen scored another 2 for hull this weekend. His contract is up at the end of the season, so hopefully we try to buy him for a small fee in january 

Newcastle seemingly showing some interest too.

Just checked mitrovic stats, I want him even more now.

If Fulham are not close to the top 6 by jan we really should try for him.

As a lone striker able to hold, run, head,challenge, score he has already done it in the prem.

25 years old so while not the strict find a bargain and increase his value mold we are trying to get, is potentially the quick semi guaranteed goal getter required to give us the best chance of survival this season.

Would still cost around 20 million but could save us a lot more than that by the end of the season.

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

As a lone striker able to hold, run, head,challenge, score he has already done it in the prem.

25 years old so while not the strict find a bargain and increase his value mold we are trying to get, is potentially the quick semi guaranteed goal getter required to give us the best chance of survival this season.

Would still cost around 20 million but could save us a lot more than that by the end of the season.

Mitro is a beast of a player. So much fight and strength. There have been question marks about his temperament though. 

He would be a good signing, but would cost much more than £20m, as Fulham signed him for just over that amount the summer they got promoted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

Agree but doubt they’ll sell him in Jan.  They’ll probably let him go in the summer if they don’t get promoted.

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Mitrovic just signed a new deal.

He'd cost about £40m in January.

It’s my opinion that Mitrovic would go a long way to helping us secure a league finish somewhere between 9-12th, and I think we’d be safe from the relegation dogfight. As things currently stand with Wesley I think we’ll remain in the relegation mix all season as we drop too many points from games where everyone else’s performances should result with us earning points. We are 25% into the season and we can see that Wesley is not going to have the first season impact that Benteke had, he’s struggling. If we don’t purchase somebody such as a Mitrovic in January then we’d be gambling on staying up IMO. Plenty of time for Wesley to come good thereafter but we must cover ourselves in the meantime. 

• Like 1

If we sign a new forward in January I imagine we'd either go for a cheaper, older striker to relieve Wesley,

or for a different type of attacking player with more pace, mobility and technique that can also play wide.

In the first category both Papiss Cisse and Artym Dzyuba are having great seasons and are sitting on expiring contracts. As is Zlatan :D 

We won't be signing any of these I imagine but I think we either go for a short term fix,

Or more likely for a younger player in a mold we currently don't have one to help us change things up a bit.

Benrahma, Brahim Diaz, Jarrod Bowen... Anyone starting with a B basically.

• Haha 1

After ten games last season Mitrović had scored five goals only one better than Wesley has at the same point this season, and he'd also only provided one assist. He finished the season with eleven goals and three assists, also on three occasions he scored twice in one game, meaning that he only actually scored goals in eight premier league games last season. I don't think he's a bad player, but we shouldn't get carried away with the idea of signing him based off what he's doing in the championship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1