Cameron Archer

Zatman

Firstly why is this thread been bumped just before we play SU, just asking for him to score. 

Secondly, I’d be very surprised if we sign him back. He’s not set the league alight, and as reported very close to our financial limits, just can’t see us signing him back as he won’t improve the team. His value has probably dropped from last season so if we did buy back we would lose selling him off again

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not sure how that can be the case generally - unless there's a definitive date on which a buy-back would definitely occur.  Otherwise, how would you draw up a contract?

In this instance, it seems that relegation would be the trigger point so a certain date could be given, I suppose.  But what if he's seriously injured or doesn't want to return to Villa?  Surely there'd be some employment rights that would null and void a future contract?

If you've already signed and agreed to something given a set condition, you can't backtrack because some other condition pops up. They would need to have been factored in at the time it was signed, or they become irrelevant. 

Unless all parties agree to terminate the agreement, it will stand.

If he thought he might not want to come back, he wouldn't have signed it.

As to whether it will be a good thing...I was kind of disappointed when we sold him,  and think he's got the finishing to be a useful option in many scenarios. One bad season at a club that barely gets the ball in the opposition half isn't going to change that view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not sure how that can be the case generally - unless there's a definitive date on which a buy-back would definitely occur.  Otherwise, how would you draw up a contract?

In this instance, it seems that relegation would be the trigger point so a certain date could be given, I suppose.  But what if he's seriously injured or doesn't want to return to Villa?  Surely there'd be some employment rights that would null and void a future contract?

usually they have expiry dates, look at Luiz's for ours.

I guess they have to have some mechanism like that in place for the player to come back.

We have to buy him if Sheff Utd get relegated. But we’ve got FFP profit now whereas we wouldn’t have with a loan.

Buy him back. Sell him with buy back. Rinse and repeat for FFP profit.

53 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Firstly why is this thread been bumped just before we play SU, just asking for him to score. 

I dont think bumping this thread will have an effect whatsoever.  He's going to score anyway.

22 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We have to buy him if Sheff Utd get relegated. But we’ve got FFP profit now whereas we wouldn’t have with a loan.

Buy him back. Sell him with buy back. Rinse and repeat for FFP profit.

I think FFP ‘amortisation’ is kind of over hyped by fans.

Sure you book a profit from a sale immediately whilst spreading the expense of a purchase over 5 years but all that does is kick the can down the road. 

At the end of the day the incomings have to match the outgoings. 

I think it’s why the window has been so quiet for most clubs. They have kicked the can as far as they can. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Herman22 said:

It’s such an unusual way to do business. So he’s agreed a contract with SU. He will need to agree another contract with Villa to come back? What happens if he refuses the contract offer?

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Then he doesn't come back.

I'd assume the player has a say in where they go - even in an agreed buy-back is in place.

He's a fully grown adult who has signed a contract saying he comes back here if certain conditions are met. He can't suddenly decide he doesn't like it. He'll be in breach of contract and get the ass sued all to hell. 

I'm not sure why people on here keep thinking that signed contracts can be just ripped up and ignored at will. 

I'm sure it was talked about it the summer that his potential contract with us was already agreed as part of the deal (it held up the Ramsey deal) 

Plus then it's understanding what a transfer actually is, it transfers his registration rights to us, if a contract wasn't in place if he refused to sign one or refused to come back we would still own his registration, he wouldnt be able to play anywhere 

It'll be interesting because I don't think he's done anything to suggest he will be here next season, Monchi magic would be Sheffield utd buying out the buy back but I can't see that happening, best case someone promoted comes in for him or maybe someone like Fulham as second choice striker, cam at around £15m is a better signing than broja at £30m odd

either way there's every danger he's second choice somewhere next year and it won't be here 

Edit - or Monchi could go the other way, we give SU a couple of million to buy the clause out because we don't want him back and can't do anything with him... 

Edited by villa4europe

He’s only scored 3 goals this season but 2 were great goals and the third a great finish. I wonder how much service he gets and what his general play is like. 

He’s xG is 3.03 which basically means he has taken the chances he has got right ?

Agree we would most likely sell him again though. 

43 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s only scored 3 goals this season but 2 were great goals and the third a great finish. I wonder how much service he gets and what his general play is like. 

He’s xG is 3.03 which basically means he has taken the chances he has got right ?

Agree we would most likely sell him again though. 

That XG also implies he doesn’t get into positions to score very frequently. Maybe that’s down to not getting chances but it’s a very low number even for a relegation threatened side 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If we buy him back we’ll be selling him in the same window

Definitley 

That's why I said about maybe instead we would offer SU some money to terminate the clause 

Rather than risk having to buy him back for say £18m and then spend a few months trying to flog him for £10m we could say to them we'd offer them £3m to terminate the clause and he stays there 

Can imagine the VT meltdown 😂 but it would sense 

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Definitley 

That's why I said about maybe instead we would offer SU some money to terminate the clause 

Rather than risk having to buy him back for say £18m and then spend a few months trying to flog him for £10m we could say to them we'd offer them £3m to terminate the clause and he stays there 

Can imagine the VT meltdown 😂 but it would sense 

i dont know if its true, but someone on here said the Sheff Utd deal to sign Archer was actually 8m up front, then another 10m if they stayed up, and if they got relegated our buy back was in the region of 8m?

no idea if true.

Either way, if he does come back he will be sold/loaned out again, no doubt.

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dont know if its true, but someone on here said the Sheff Utd deal to sign Archer was actually 8m up front, then another 10m if they stayed up, and if they got relegated our buy back was in the region of 8m?

no idea if true.

Either way, if he does come back he will be sold/loaned out again, no doubt.

I think its 18.5 but with a 15 buyback if they get relegated. Who knows though. All guesswork based on the little i have read about it.  

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If we buy him back we’ll be selling him in the same window

Probably, though it seems like there's an obvious danger of taking a bath on the deal, and presumably we won't want to do that. 

Looking forward to tedious posts of he celebrated too much in a few hours.

Couldn't believe on the way back from the home game there were 5-6 Villa fans phoning in saying he lacked class/respect for celebrating after he scored when he barely did anything!

People get worked up about bizarre and inconsequential things in matches sometimes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Looking forward to tedious posts of he celebrated too much in a few hours.

Couldn't believe on the way back from the home game there were 5-6 Villa fans phoning in saying he lacked class/respect for celebrating after he scored when he barely did anything!

People get worked up about bizarre and inconsequential things in matches sometimes.

You don't understand how a guy we showed the door to owes us everything

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

You don't understand how a guy we showed the door to owes us everything

It's sad he's effectively being used as a pawn in our FFP games if we do just buy him back to sell him on again.

I'd just let him get on with his career now, kid just wants to play and he's getting that now at Sheffield and would do very well in the championship for them.

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's sad he's effectively being used as a pawn in our FFP games if we do just buy him back to sell him on again.

I'd just let him get on with his career now, kid just wants to play and he's getting that now at Sheffield and would do very well in the championship for them.

It's presumably Sheffield United that were happy to keep him if they stay up but not if they go down

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's presumably Sheffield United that were happy to keep him if they stay up but not if they go down

Yeah there's a decent argument that the buy back as it's written is there to protect them from the financial hit going down more than it protects us against losing a world beater 

Â