Cameron Archer

Zatman

Right, you'd expect that the compulsory buyback was their idea more than ours. It makes sense, given they'll need to sell players and reduce wage bill, and at the time we sold him they already looked near-certainties to go down. 

The deal may not work well for us, or for the player. From his perspective, I haven't checked carefully, but it seems like his game time has gone down in recent weeks. There could be different reasons - Wilder may not rate him, big Ben might require playing in a different way, etc - but it's also what you'd expect. Why would they develop a player they know will be leaving anyway, over their contracted players? He might watch a lot of the rest of the season from the bench.

For us, it would certainly have been negligent if we didn't consider this scenario. They were always likely to go down, it was never a certainty the player would score every other game or whatever.

I imagine the club's hope is the same as Stevo's above: we'll just sell the player again. But as I say, there's a real possibility no-one offers close to the buyback price. In that case, we're left with three options: sell him anyway, take a loss and look like the deal was stupid; loan him normally (expensive option for a guy who will have been a substantial part of our summer budget); or reintegrate him into the squad. 

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's presumably Sheffield United that were happy to keep him if they stay up but not if they go down

Not sure what's in it for them with that scenario. He's shown at PNE and Boro he can score well in championship so what they sell him back to us for knock down fee and we sell him on to someone else? Unless they then have a huge sell on percentage it really makes little sense from their POV as he'd score far more down in the championship than Rhian Brewster.

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Right, you'd expect that the compulsory buyback was their idea more than ours. It makes sense, given they'll need to sell players and reduce wage bill, and at the time we sold him they already looked near-certainties to go down. 

The deal may not work well for us, or for the player. From his perspective, I haven't checked carefully, but it seems like his game time has gone down in recent weeks. There could be different reasons - Wilder may not rate him, big Ben might require playing in a different way, etc - but it's also what you'd expect. Why would they develop a player they know will be leaving anyway, over their contracted players? He might watch a lot of the rest of the season from the bench.

For us, it would certainly have been negligent if we didn't consider this scenario. They were always likely to go down, it was never a certainty the player would score every other game or whatever.

I imagine the club's hope is the same as Stevo's above: we'll just sell the player again. But as I say, there's a real possibility no-one offers close to the buyback price. In that case, we're left with three options: sell him anyway, take a loss and look like the deal was stupid; loan him normally (expensive option for a guy who will have been a substantial part of our summer budget); or reintegrate him into the squad. 

Or we try and buy out the clause... 

Just now, VillaChris said:

Not sure what's in it for them with that scenario. He's shown at PNE and Boro he can score well in championship so what they sell him back to us for knock down fee and we sell him on to someone else? Unless they then have a huge sell on percentage it really makes little sense from their POV as he'd score far more down in the championship than Rhian Brewster.

Would be guaranteed revenue to offset vs the loss of revenue after relegation 

8 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Looked like the only player offering quality when he came on. 

He did, caused us problems, very direct. Tbh if they had played as they did at Villa Park with him up front from the start they would have given us a harder game. 

Interesting game, he missed a sitter, then showed amazing tenacity to win the ball back, run half the pitch and give the keeper the eyes to score, then for the third he ran for miles then went down a blind alley and lost the ball and they got lucky with the ricochet. 

Felt like plenty of good stuff and plenty to work on. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

If he comes back, I presume that for FFP purposes, he doesn't still count as a non-costed youngster?

Can we sell him twice as home grown?

i highly doubt it, he's now a senior player playing in the PL, on a full senior contract, who was sold for millions already.

what we buy him back for, will surely be part of our FFP budget.

• Like 1

If we're actually going to buy him back we should be integrating him fully into the first team squad.

Starting him in cup matches and giving him a prem start a month.

People moan endlessly about players downing tools and wanting transfers yet are seemingly o.k with just treating an honest young lad like a piece of meat to just game the FFP system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If we're actually going to buy him back we should be integrating him fully into the first team squad.

People moan endlessly about players downing tools and wanting transfers yet are seemingly o.k with just treating an honest young lad like a piece of meat to just game the FFP system.

Apparently we have to buy him back if they go down. Unai doesnt seem to be a fan and preferred Duran previously

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Apparently we have to buy him back if they go down. Unai doesnt seem to be a fan and preferred Duran previously

I think he'd be more effective than Duran. Think UE didn't rate him as the sole CF and probably thought in his loans he could only work in a two. Looking yesterday though Sheffield played a 5-4-1 so given they won at in form team they'll probably stick with the system for next few weeks.

He could still hit 7-8 in one of the worst top flight teams in last 20 years so in ideal world I'll like him to come back and then work with him properly for a full year and see where we are in summer 2025 regarding FFP.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think he'd be more effective than Duran. Think UE didn't rate him as the sole CF and probably thought in his loans he could only work in a two. Looking yesterday though Sheffield played a 5-4-1 so given they won at in form team they'll probably stick with the system for next few weeks.

He could still hit 7-8 in one of the worst top flight teams in last 20 years so in ideal world I'll like him to come back and then work with him properly for a full year and see where we are in summer 2025 regarding FFP.

Duran is younger but way more advanced than Archer but he is just crazy. Wouldnt be surprised if Archer is dropped once McBurnie and Brereton Diaz are available again as more Wilder strikers

Just now, Zatman said:

Duran is younger but way more advanced than Archer but he is just crazy. Wouldnt be surprised if Archer is dropped once McBurnie and Brereton Diaz are available again as more Wilder strikers

He's been played all over by Wilder, was wide left when he first came in and now doing the isolated CF shift and scored a goal out of completely nothing with his pace yesterday.

If he scores another 5-6 before season is out in a limited team it would be ridiculous to get him back and not give him a proper shot.

Feels a bit ridiculous we seem to have decided the only person in world football who can play such a role for us is Ollie Watkins. When he's good he's very good but you also get nearly games like today.

Duran looked lively earlier in the season but he needs to show way more than running around like a headless chicken which seems to have been his impact in last two months.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Bemoaning people like Jack for leaving for 3 years whilst praising the club for selling 20 years who've been at the club since 9 and sold a dream in recent years they are the futue of the club for pure profit 

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's been played all over by Wilder, was wide left when he first came in and now doing the isolated CF shift and scored a goal out of completely nothing with his pace yesterday.

If he scores another 5-6 before season is out in a limited team it would be ridiculous to get him back and not give him a proper shot.

Feels a bit ridiculous we seem to have decided the only person in world football who can play such a role for us is Ollie Watkins. When he's good he's very good but you also get nearly games like today.

Duran looked lively earlier in the season but he needs to show way more than running around like a headless chicken which seems to have been his impact in last two months.

Totally agree, when he came on against us Sheffield created some problems before they created no threat at all. Its hard to do anything in a team.that get battered every week.  All the chances we had yesterday I would have fancied Archer to get a couple. 

If we have to take him back then he's had a season playing in the premier league, gaining experience. Far better than if he was still here, playing bit parts or going back on loan to a championship club. Either way we'd get a young striker who's scored a few goals in the premier league in an awful team, that we can either keep, or sell if the right offer comes in.

He's definitely got the goal scoring bit about him. The anticipatory nature in the box is hard to truly teach.

I think unfairly enough in today's games, CF's that aren't great at the other areas of the game have less of a chance these days.

Still think he would be really great in a 2 striker set up anywhere. Akpom was a really good pairing with him at Boro.

Â