Cameron Archer

Zatman

38 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not to talk down Archer, but it's **** Preston. The competition is David Nugent and Callum Robinson

Overlooked Danny Welbeck who played 42 times for England and Nmecha current German International as well mate! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bold call but if Archer can get a run of starts early I actually think he can outscore both senior strikers, that would be some story.

(Not singling you out, just using this an example. )
I see a lot of people saying that Archer is a natural finisher and could outscore our other strikers. I really hope that is the case, but let’s not forget that outside of a prolific 12 months where he has really developed and grew in confidence, he was never that prolific at youth level. Of course people develop at different rates (look at what Kane did on his loan spells), but I think he still needs time to develop before he is a force in the first team.

• Like 1

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

(Not singling you out, just using this an example. )
I see a lot of people saying that Archer is a natural finisher and could outscore our other strikers. I really hope that is the case, but let’s not forget that outside of a prolific 12 months where he has really developed and grew in confidence, he was never that prolific at youth level. Of course people develop at different rates (look at what Kane did on his loan spells), but I think he still needs time to develop before he is a force in the first team.

That's true but ultimately in last 12 months he's scored not far off one in 2 at championship level (7 goals in 20 games), scored those goals for England under 21s right at end of the season and of course when he started two games for us in league cup he got a hat trick at Barrow and that fantastic header at Chelsea.

Overall last season he scored 17 goals in 29 games (also some goals for us in the football league trophy).

He's ready to get serious minutes for us now.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That's true but ultimately in last 12 months he's scored not far off one in 2 at championship level (7 goals in 20 games), scored those goals for England under 21s right at end of the season and of course when he started two games for us in league cup he got a hat trick at Barrow and that fantastic header at Chelsea.

Overall last season he scored 17 goals in 29 games (also some goals for us in the football league trophy).

He's ready to get serious minutes for us now.

I like the twist, but that's basically 1 in 3 - not "not far off 1 in 2" ;) 

• Like 3

I feel like the fan base in general is putting a ton of pressure on the lad — all the ‘Archer would’ve finished that chance’ won’t be helpful when he inevitably doesn’t take them all. 

he’s had quite the last 12 months, and I don’t think many of us could’ve predicted his development arc after his rather average loan stint with Solihull. 

• Like 2

I genuinely hope we give him the #9 shirt, a real show of faith. Regardless of the opposition he's currently showing up Watkins and Ings in this friendly again Brisbane Roar.

• Like 1

He is a natural finisher.

In or around the 18 yard box he isn't trying to find a pass or take extra touches, he take a shot.

None of our strikers do this..

He finds himself in goalscoring positions that currently I don't seen any of our strikers doing.

we need to keep him for the season imo, he is good enough to score goals in the premier league, there was plenty of games last year when we needed someone who was a ntural finisher to buy a chance which would have secured us a draw or a win, that is the difference between the places we finished in and getting 8th - 6th place. He deserves a shot on the big stage for me, can't ask for much more from him, deserves the opportunity to show what he can do at a packed villa park

At this rate he will score 76 goals this coming season. In fact if you look at the Eng u21s as well since the season ended he has scored 6 in about 300 minutes on the pitch. Massive threat whatever the opponent 

3 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

He is a natural finisher.

In or around the 18 yard box he isn't trying to find a pass or take extra touches, he take a shot.

None of our strikers do this..

He finds himself in goalscoring positions that currently I don't seen any of our strikers doing.

For me this is a key point.  Archer has a habit of finding space and being in the right place at the right time.  Ollie doesn't.  It's not luck - it is down to reading the game well and gambling on where the ball is likely to end up (rebound, half-block, etc) rather than waiting for that thing to happen and then trying to react to it.  Unless Ollie can unlock that ability I think he'll always end up with a lower number of chances (or a lower xG) than a striker could / should have.

I think Archer has done enough already to play himself into the match day squad.  The question now is whether he can do enough in the next few weeks to earn some proper PL minutes and give himself the opportunity to get a couple of goals to really put the pressure on Ings and Ollie if they want to be starting / finishing matches.

• Like 1

I don't know how good Brisbane Roar are so not sure how much we can read into the game, but I thought he played very well, contender for our best player in the second half along with Buendia.

Â