Cameron Archer

Zatman

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Personally think the 5 sub rule is being overplayed a lot by some people. I think most managers won’t use 5 subs, it will only be a rarity and then only for a couple of minutes. 

As for Archer, fair ply for keeping his form and confidence high with another goal. He’s obviously worked so hard to improve the last few years.

The top 6 will. 

Man City with £300m worth of players on the bench can bring on 5 new outfield players if they find themselves drawing or a goal down.

It will be useful to give minutes to young players and back ups like Sanson.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

If we sold one of Ings or Watkins and had Archer as understudy, I wouldn’t complain 

IMO that would be especially dumb. Why sell one of our first team players and not replace him? I think we should keep Archer around the squad, but I don't see any reason why we should sell one of Watkins or Ings (unless we're dropping 50m+ on another striker which is a different story). We played with 2 up top several times last season so only having 2 senior strikers, one of whom has 3 appearances / 24 total PL minutes would be incredibly naïve 

Just now, Villaphan04 said:

IMO that would be especially dumb. Why sell one of our first team players and not replace him? I think we should keep Archer around the squad, but I don't see any reason why we should sell one of Watkins or Ings (unless we're dropping 50m+ on another striker which is a different story). We played with 2 up top several times last season so only having 2 senior strikers, one of whom has 3 appearances / 24 total PL minutes would be incredibly naïve 

Archer is perfect if we play with two up front, start with Watkins and Ings, if one isn't playing well bring Archer on.  He'll be hungry to impress with 30 or 20 mins game time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Pffft, I’d rather have 1 up top and phill and emi behind him pulling the strings 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Pffft, I’d rather have 1 up top and phill and emi behind him pulling the strings 

I agree with that as i think it will be our strongest formation but i just can't get on board to advocate weakening our squad especially at striker. Archer still hasn't proven anything at the PL level

54 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Archer is perfect if we play with two up front, start with Watkins and Ings, if one isn't playing well bring Archer on.  He'll be hungry to impress with 30 or 20 mins game time.

Completely agree with this

38 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I agree with that as i think it will be our strongest formation but i just can't get on board to advocate weakening our squad especially at striker. Archer still hasn't proven anything at the PL level

Completely agree with this

But like @JAMAICAN-VILLAN asked, would you sell Ings to help us get a better CM. The short answer yes, easy 

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

But like @JAMAICAN-VILLAN asked, would you sell Ings to help us get a better CM. The short answer yes, easy 

nah I still wouldn't. Weakening a part of the team which will be crucial for us is again dumb. We can't go into the season with only Watkins and Archer as our only striking options - that's insanity imo.

In terms of midfield, when we already have 5 first team midfielders for 2 spots (or 6 for 3 if you want to include Kamara) and that's not including youth like O’Reilly, Iroegbunam, and A. Ramsey. Now, if we were planning on loaning out some of the youth and selling Sanson, not extending Luiz etc then that's a different conversation. But as it is, we have too many midfielders for another Kamara-esque signing atm imo. 

• Like 2

He needs to keep showing off that all-round game. Very impressed today. Was in the thick of everything.

You can't be a poacher in the PL anymore, those days are gone. Show the boss you've got the game to play from the off.

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

If we aren't signing another striker we should keep him in the first team picture, lad is a natural finisher

If we are signing another striker then even more reason to keep him in the first team picture.  New striker (presumably signed as a starter), Ings and Ollie would be difficult to balance.  I think Archer has shown that if we did sign a new striker then he's plenty good enough to be our second back-up option (behind a more experienced option) regardless of whether we play 1 or 2 up front.  So it would allow the club to move on one of Ollie or Ings to cover part of any transfer fee paid for the new striker.

Edited by allani

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Call me all old fashioned but I am quite a fan of strikers who are natural finishers. Other than Tammy who was on loan with us, I can't remember a Villa striker who has looked like this for years. Maybe Yorke in the 90s.

Tammy wasn't even a natural finisher (IMO of course). I still don't understand how he scores so many. I've never known anyone score so many goals, yet so rarely strike the ball cleanly 🤣

8 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Without starting a Tammy discussion (but I am, apologies) - Tammy wasn't (isn't) a natural finisher either IMO. He also misses lots of chances. Dwight Yorke was though for sure.

Archer took his goal well and his overall game was decent enough. His pace caused their defence problems and on another day he may have had five goals - 1) Just failing to connect to Buendia's ball in. 2) One where he probably should have laid Watkins in but took the defender on and shot over the bar. 3) One he dragged wide (should have scored that). 4) One that deflected wide and the one he scored.

I think he's a more natural finisher than Watkins, but he's still quite raw. I wouldn't mind having him on the bench should we be chasing a game, but I would love if we sign another top quality striker and loan out Archer to continue his development.

Just seen this. Agreed.

• Like 1

Â