Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

1 minute ago, useless said:

Smith isn't going to read this thread and think such and such person thinks that he isn't very good I'd better drop him, or another person thinks he's a good player lets keep him in the side, so it's pointless going on about your opinion, as no one of any importance cares what you think on the subject. So pointless to keep going on about it.

I don't understand why people are being hypercritical when our game clearly was smash and grab away to 2nd best team that ended up 1-1 and was nearly 2-0 early on. We went there to let them come at us 

Just now, kidlewis said:

It appears that Marcelous Nakamba is the Brexit of the villa squad. 

there’s no middle ground here 

I don't see anyone calling him excellent tbf. I was defending him from being called 'awful', which I think was unjustified. He made some mistakes tonight, no doubt as you have pointed out, but he also did a lot of good defensive work. For me, that's a 6.5 - which isn't awful by any stretch of the imagination. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I would absolutely love you to go back and detail the 'lost the ball lots' when he was pressed part. I'd also like you to acknowledge the solid defensive work he did and give a balanced appraisal of why you think he was awful. 

And it's 'could have' not 'could of", for **** sake. 

*’could of’

Don’t use a mixture of single and double quotation marks in future. Makes you look silly. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

I don't see anyone calling him excellent tbf. I was defending him from being called 'awful', which I think was unjustified. He made some mistakes tonight, no doubt as you have pointed out, but he also did a lot of good defensive work. For me, that's a 6.5 - which isn't awful by any stretch of the imagination. 

If that constitutes a 6.5 then Nyland played a 17. 

Shock!  A defensive midfielder who has never looked good going forward looks out of his depth against the 2nd best team in the league. Our midfield was out numbered 3-2 the entire match. It was the sacrifice we had to make given our lack of a striker. And you know what it worked. We got a goal and were a Douglas error away from stealing a 1-0. 

We made a 3 goal improvement off the last time we played them. No way anyone in the defense had a shocker. There were mistakes definitely, but our midfield was under the cosh the entire second half.  With that type of pressure only the best midfielders would escape mistake free. 

In a 2 man midfield you need both your midfielders to be all arounders. Nakamba is not that nor was he brought in to be that. He's doing a job while Mcginn is out. It's not like he is failing at his primary duty.  He is still leading the team in tackles and recoveries.  The extra duties being asked of him right now may be a bit to much but how about we give him a couple games to get settled before we start tearing him apart. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

The extra duties being asked of him right now may be a bit to much but how about we give him a couple games to get settled before we start tearing him apart. 

In a new formation no less

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

He is basically Carlos Sanchez.  Breaks up play well and makes very important tackles and then plays us into trouble with sloppy or suicidal distribution.

La Nakamba.

7 hours ago, omariqy said:

Excellent at the ugly side but so poor at the passing side. I still like him but needs to improve. 

Spot on. His passing is awful at the moment but his defensive attributes are very good. 

Composure can be worked on (see Nyland) so I certainly wouldn't be writing the guy off, especially as his passing was ok in his first couple of games, which suggests that his problems ATM could be down to confidence (again see Nyland). 

8 hours ago, lexicon said:

Just our 2nd best in tackles and interceptions this season. What a waste eh?

That really doesn't mean a thing if he looses the ball again with his 2nd or 3rd touch of the ball.

85% passing accuracy doesn't show much when its passing back or sideways and why do we always bring passer rating up when talking about loosing the ball to easily. You can loose the ball in so many other ways.

I'm not confident in him and like some of the other posters I get nervous whenever he gets the ball 

Not read all the comments but last night I would've rated him around 7.5 without the ball and a 3 with it.

He made me nervous at times but I definitely am not writing him off, in fact there's not one player in our squad that I have totally written off which makes a pleasant change from previous seasons.

There are obviously players that are out of form, players that are weaker than others ETC but if they are working as hard as they can (a bare minimum) then after some of the dross we have had over the past decade then I am prepared to cut them a bit of slack.

Watching Nakamba and Luiz in possession last night however made me appreciate what Jordan Henderson does for Liverpool so much more - I am not a fan of his by any stretch of the imagination, watching him get hold of the ball and play it square or back 99% of the time, but what I would have given last night for someone like him to get a hold of the ball and keep it simple and retain more possession as last night we criminally gave the ball away so many times that we were always eventually going to concede.

5 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

That really doesn't mean a thing if he looses the ball again with his 2nd or 3rd touch of the ball.

85% passing accuracy doesn't show much when its passing back or sideways and why do we always bring passer rating up when talking about loosing the ball to easily. You can loose the ball in so many other ways.

I'm not confident in him and like some of the other posters I get nervous whenever he gets the ball 

Point 1 - he doesn't. Statistically, he loses the ball through poor control 0.9 times per game  and he is dispossessed on average 0.4 times per game. Yesterday, both things happened once only.

Point 2 - It doesn't matter if he's going sideways or back, it's going to somebody else and he's not losing the ball. It's not his job to play wonderful defence splitting passes or lofty cross-field balls. 

Point 3 - It's lose/losing not loose/loosing. 

You may not be confident in him but it's not based on a whole lot of fact. Maybe just, you know, support him and hope he does well rather than being assuming the negative all the time?

• Like 1

shamelessly stolen and not checked for accuracy - him and luiz had 99 touches combined last night, gave the ball away 30 times

out of that pairing he has 42 touches and gave the ball away 10 times

25% of his touches give the ball away...madness (obviously luiz was even worse)

Just now, hippo said:

The point for me is that he doesn't look any better than someone we could have signed for £2.5m from Gillingham  - Not sure what possessed us to bring him from overseas at £11m 

Totally agreed. There are better players in the championship for sure. Strange signing. 

Even though I don’t rate Luiz, I kind of get that one, he’s young, technically quite sound etc.

But this one? Looks a total waste of money to be honest. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Not read all the comments but last night I would've rated him around 7.5 without the ball and a 3 with it.

He made me nervous at times but I definitely am not writing him off, in fact there's not one player in our squad that I have totally written off which makes a pleasant change from previous seasons.

There are obviously players that are out of form, players that are weaker than others ETC but if they are working as hard as they can (a bare minimum) then after some of the dross we have had over the past decade then I am prepared to cut them a bit of slack.

Watching Nakamba and Luiz in possession last night however made me appreciate what Jordan Henderson does for Liverpool so much more - I am not a fan of his by any stretch of the imagination, watching him get hold of the ball and play it square or back 99% of the time, but what I would have given last night for someone like him to get a hold of the ball and keep it simple and retain more possession as last night we criminally gave the ball away so many times that we were always eventually going to concede.

I think it's worth remembering who we were up against and accept that our CMs were always going to be given a hard time of it. I think that all too often people forget that there is another team playing who impact the game - they were up against 3 international midfielders in Maddison, Tieliemans and Praet who have run rings against a lot of teams this year.

I'd also say that yesterday, for me, Luiz was certainly worse than Nakamba and was the main culprit for giving the ball away cheaply.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lexicon said:

I would absolutely love you to go back and detail the 'lost the ball lots' when he was pressed part. I'd also like you to acknowledge the solid defensive work he did and give a balanced appraisal of why you think he was awful. 

And it's 'could have' not 'could of", for **** sake. 

He misplaced 4 passes in 90 minutes and was dispossessed once.

I think someone is exaggerating.

(FWIW I don't think he was very good last night. He just wasn't awful)

• Like 1

Â