Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

On 15/01/2020 at 23:21, Kiwivillan said:

I keep hearing this because of the Leicester game. He's 5th in the team in the league for successful passing % with 84%. Very low dispossessed per game 0.3 and unsuccessful touch 0.8

I didn't see Leicester but for highlights and he was 3rd best passing with 23 successful of 27 attempted passes. I presume those led to chances?

1 dispossession and 1 unsuccessful touch whereas Luiz 3 of each but "he's only 21" or something

Just seems to be classic punching bag for some Villa fans because he's a DM who doesn't score or assist

I think the majority of us just expect the dm's to be strong, put in a tackle and pass it on to keep possession and leave it to the more progressive players.

If you watch him, a tackle may just be he goes for the ball it ricochets off him back to an opponent then back to him then back to an opponent. Does that count as 2 tackles ? At the moment he isnt up to the pace, just like a lot of our players.

And that means at the moment he isn't good enough for where we find ourselves.

Stats are a very good indicator, in fact deano states he is stays based, but sometimes you need to add in what you see as well as stats.

I highly doubt anyone looked at any of our summer signings and said oh no.

We want them to do well, some are doing better than others, he just needs to keep things simple speed up and concentrate the whole game (again, like several other players)

Started a little scratchy but really grew into the game.

What annoys me most about him is not presenting to give our backs an out ball. Not so against Brighton. Got a lot of the ball and was tidy with it.

Keep going, Marvelous. 👍

• Like 3

Marvellous has to start for us in every match. He is the only person who fully engages with the opposition midfield. The question should be, who plays alongside him. I would choose Luiz. Conor and Henry are not good enough and the less said about Drinkwater the better. Obviously that all needs rethinking when SJM returns although you could play him and Jack either side of Ally.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can't pass Nakamba with best % passes completed 90.9% 30 of 33

You really do like your stats, Kiwi! 

For me, he is a poor player. Unfortunately, he probably needs to start most weeks as the alternatives do not bear thinking about. 
Hopefully he is replaced in the summer. I think he’d struggle even in the championship. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

For me, he is a poor player. Unfortunately, he probably needs to start most weeks as the alternatives do not bear thinking about. 
Hopefully he is replaced in the summer. I think he’d struggle even in the championship. 

Reality is no one in midfield comes anywhere near him for tackles whether you deem that relevant. Case can be made against but the way we play I think someone has to be making a decent amount

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think he’s better than a lot of people think. He is trying to get up to speed but there is hope there. We played most of last season on the championship with Conor, Glen or Jedi playing and he is much better than any of those.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I think he’s better than a lot of people think. He is trying to get up to speed but there is hope there. We played most of last season on the championship with Conor, Glen or Jedi playing and he is much better than any of those.

Exactly this, he is very very effective and is constantly a bane to the opposition midfield. Our problems yesterday were caused when they bypassed Nakamba and ran at the defence, them backing off caused problems on a number of occasions.

We're a much better team with him in midfield. There's zero doubt about that. His passes were astray against Leicester , but was nice and tidy yesterday. 

Looks to me as someone who's constantly improving. Think he'll be a cracking player with one or two season under his belt. 

This guy drives me up the wall. He seems to get bypassed so easily and trots back. No urgency. No bite. He's a poor player in a position we need something from.

We don't have better though unfortunately. Our midfield has all the steel of a cheese sandwich. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

This guy drives me up the wall. He seems to get bypassed so easily and trots back. No urgency. No bite. He's a poor player in a position we need something from.

We don't have better though unfortunately. Our midfield has all the steel of a cheese sandwich. 

He has bite and urgency. He's our best midfielder off the ball. Tackles, intercepts... Something no one else is interested in. Gets his shorts dirty. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can't pass Nakamba with best % passes completed 90.9% 30 of 33

The problem isn’t his pass completion. The problem is, he always passes to the guy next to him, which invites pressure. He very rarely switches play or is behind any decent moves. 

However, he puts in ALOT of tackles and closes down space very well. 

18 hours ago, brummybloke said:

I think the majority of us just expect the dm's to be strong, put in a tackle and pass it on to keep possession and leave it to the more progressive players.

If you watch him, a tackle may just be he goes for the ball it ricochets off him back to an opponent then back to him then back to an opponent. Does that count as 2 tackles ? At the moment he isnt up to the pace, just like a lot of our players.

And that means at the moment he isn't good enough for where we find ourselves.

Stats are a very good indicator, in fact deano states he is stays based, but sometimes you need to add in what you see as well as stats.

I highly doubt anyone looked at any of our summer signings and said oh no.

We want them to do well, some are doing better than others, he just needs to keep things simple speed up and concentrate the whole game (again, like several other players)

The ricochets result in  a opposing counter attack and we have been caught many times because of it partially because he tackles so high up the pitch  , if his teammates where more awre that would help to  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

The ricochets result in  a opposing counter attack and we have been caught many times because of it partially because he tackles so high up the pitch  , if his teammates where more awre that would help to  

far more useful post than posters just copying and pasting stats from a website.

Interesting perspective of it, I cant recall too many high up field ones in the last 5 or 10 games, the majority seem to be around the half way line or at least those are the ones that spring to my mind.

10 hours ago, brummybloke said:

far more useful post than posters just copying and pasting stats from a website.

Interesting perspective of it, I cant recall too many high up field ones in the last 5 or 10 games, the majority seem to be around the half way line or at least those are the ones that spring to my mind.

The stats are useful though.
How about the most useful analysis is stats with observations, such as:

He evidently makes a lot of tackles and interceptions as well as successful passes, but those passes are usually around the half way line and to teammates nearby, which invites pressure and leaves us particularly exposed when he does make one of his currently inevitable mistakes

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Thats how I see him - whilst I can't dispute kiwi's stats  - he seemed to give the ball away numerous times v Brighton.

Â