Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

shamelessly stolen and not checked for accuracy - him and luiz had 99 touches combined last night, gave the ball away 30 times

out of that pairing he has 42 touches and gave the ball away 10 times

25% of his touches give the ball away...madness (obviously luiz was even worse)

A touch doesn't mean that you're in control of the ball, though - you could touch the ball when you're behind an opponent who is shielding it several times in an attempt to get it away from them, for example. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He misplaced 4 passes in 90 minutes and was dispossessed once.

I think someone is exaggerating.

(FWIW I don't think he was very good last night. He just wasn't awful)

That's basically the brick wall I've been beating my head against/what I've been saying. 

Just now, lexicon said:

A touch doesn't mean that you're in control of the ball, though - you could touch the ball when you're behind an opponent who is shielding it several times in an attempt to get it away from them, for example. 

It doesn't when we are talking Nakamba.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think it's worth remembering who we were up against and accept that our CMs were always going to be given a hard time of it. I think that all too often people forget that there is another team playing who impact the game - they were up against 3 international midfielders in Maddison, Tieliemans and Praet who have run rings against a lot of teams this year.

I'd also say that yesterday, for me, Luiz was certainly worse than Nakamba and was the main culprit for giving the ball away cheaply.

Good post and yes I agree totally - Leicester are arguably the 3rd best team in the league right now and it was always going to be a backs-to-the-wall kind of performance against a strong side on their home patch.

Nakamba did a lot of the 'dirty' work and I appreciate that side of his game, I also agree that Luiz was more culpable in giving the ball away.  To be fair both worked extremely hard without the ball but the problem is you get your 'rests' when you're in possession and we didn't keep it enough to get those rests.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

There should be a rule where he's not allowed to touch the ball. Just snuff out the danger and let the ball move itself, it's less dangerous that way.

Probably needs a scrum half to follow him around the pitch 

• Like 1

Again he did a lot of good stuff defensively, great at making interceptions and breaking up the play. But he's undeniably poor on the ball. It's important we get players closer to him when he's in possession so that he does not have to try any complex passes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Point 1 - he doesn't. Statistically, he loses the ball through poor control 0.9 times per game  and he is dispossessed on average 0.4 times per game. Yesterday, both things happened once only.

Point 2 - It doesn't matter if he's going sideways or back, it's going to somebody else and he's not losing the ball. It's not his job to play wonderful defence splitting passes or lofty cross-field balls. 

Point 3 - It's lose/losing not loose/loosing. 

You may not be confident in him but it's not based on a whole lot of fact. Maybe just, you know, support him and hope he does well rather than being assuming the negative all the time?

Like someone else said, you can read statistics the way you wan't to support your views on the matter.

1. No, i just watched a 10 minutes highlight and both things happened more than once, just within the first 20 minutes.

2. True a passed ball is a passed ball wven if its sideways or backwards, but what statistics doesn't show, is that he often puts to little power in his passing, so his teammates has to bust a gut to get or win the ball. 

3. Great you can spot spelling mistakes from a person who hasn't english as a native language...Well done

No, but you can base your feelings and confidence on what you see every game and your gut feeling and that, for me, has way more weight than statictics from I don't know which homepage. 

Edited by Taxahunter

23 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Like someone else said, you can read statistics the way you wan't to support your views on the matter.

1. No, i just watched a 10 minutes highlight and both things happened more than once, just within the first 20 minutes.

2. True a passed ball is a passed ball wven if its sideways or backwards, but what statistics doesn't show, is that he often puts to little power in his passing, so his teammates has to bust a gut to get or win the ball. 

3. Great you can spot spelling mistakes from a person who hasn't english as a native language...Well done

No, but you can base your feelings and confidence on what you see every game and your gut feeling and that, for me, has way more weight than statictics from I don't know which homepage. 

1. Great, where are the highlights? 

2. Totally true, no disagreement there. 

3. It's a mistake that many native speakers make and I didn't see or notice that you were a non-native, so sorry about that - in a roundabout way, it's actually kind of a compliment on your level of English.

To answer your final point, I don't see anything wrong with that per se, but I also think it's important to be able to back up assertions with some evidence. I just hate seeing players being written off or criticised excessively for things that aren't necessarily true.

Edited by lexicon

Nakamba is bad at the stuff Nakamba was never good at. Before he was in a midfield 3.  Now it's just 2.  That extra option to pass to is a big loss. While the 3-4-3 has made our back line more solid Dean is still playing that attacking 3 up top. This has caused us to completely cede the midfield once teams up their pressing game. 

This 3-4-3 doesn't suit our current crop of midfielders at all. The only one who is adequate is Luiz. Hourihane and Lansbury would all be non-entities in a 2 man setup. I'm starting to think we may need another CM option besides Drinkwater. Hopefully Mcginn doesn't have any complications in his recovery. 

Let's see how Drinkwater plays the same role, my thoughts on Nakamba are that hes out of his depth at this level and with his experience. The mistakes he makes are in very dangerous areas, they have cost us in other games and nearly did in this. You don't need statistics to show you this, just a pair of eyes. The look on Mings face when he headed into Vardys path was a picture to behold. 

But he's the best we have at DM, Hourihane and Landsbury go missing far to often when we haven't got possession. Nakamba doesn't, he gets involved, if only we could have Landsburys passing, Nakambas tenacity and Hourihanes shot...... What a player he would be. 

• Like 1

He is rapidly developing into a player who you know will present one gilt edge chance per game to the opposition. Often they score from it, occasionally as last night they don't but it is an issue. He was not alone in gifting the ball away last night though. I lost count of the times Hause passed straight to a Leicester player, in the first 30 mins it was practically everytime he had the ball & i'm not even joking! Luiz did so several time as of course did Nakamba. It's an issue but i'm not sure we'll solve it without new signings.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Again he did a lot of good stuff defensively, great at making interceptions and breaking up the play. But he's undeniably poor on the ball. It's important we get players closer to him when he's in possession so that he does not have to try any complex passes.

This is where I am with him. Perhaps he’s still getting use to the pace of the English game? You just don’t get a second to breathe. 

I've got a bit of hope because we've seen he can play better in the Premier League.

Early on he simply wasn't this bad on the ball. Form has gone. Needs his confidence rebuilding out the side.

Absolutely does not look a £11m player.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Let's see how Drinkwater plays the same role, my thoughts on Nakamba are that hes out of his depth at this level and with his experience. The mistakes he makes are in very dangerous areas, they have cost us in other games and nearly did in this. You don't need statistics to show you this, just a pair of eyes. The look on Mings face when he headed into Vardys path was a picture to behold. 

But he's the best we have at DM, Hourihane and Landsbury go missing far to often when we haven't got possession. Nakamba doesn't, he gets involved, if only we could have Landsburys passing, Nakambas tenacity and Hourihanes shot...... What a player he would be. 

And as you quite rightly state it is levels isn't it. I'm sure he looked much better and tidier on the ball at Brugge. 

56 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

A prime example of what happens to a player when they're totally devoid of confidence. Definitely got the potential to be a decent player but I think he needs dropping for while until the team as whole (hopefully) improves. 

The premier league can be pretty unforgiving, especially if you aren't ready. Veretout would walk into many PL teams now. He was blowing out his arse after 60 minutes when he was in a villa shirt and his conditioning was poor. My worry for Nakamba is that he doesn't seem to react quick enough to what's going on around him. You'd hope that improves.

• Like 1

Â