Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

A great start to the season! It looks like we have made some astute signings for this level. Hopefully we can push on for a top half finish this season with a bit of luck.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

They collapse just as well as the men 😎

Were you there ? Because they didn’t collapse , they stood firm , regrouped and won a well earned victory, something the men are finding difficult to do.

• Like 1

Hampton could have done better with Man City's first yesterday and looked like it played on her mind a little bit in the second half, but she was probably our best player last season, so many times she made remarkable saves to keep us in games, without her survival wouldn't have been anywhere near as comfortable as it was in the end.

Some have tipped us to be in a relegation battle again, I think we should have more than enough to avoid that and we should be looking to challenge top eight, but if she was to get injured for a lengthy period that would change everything, probably the player we can least afford to not have in the team, perhaps even more so than Rachel Daly, without Hampton last season we would have taken so many more thrashings and dropped a lot more points.

She's in the last year of her contract now, if we can convince her to sign a contract extension it will be one of the biggest and most important signings we could make, if she doesn't sign up to stay with us then make no mistake about it she will be going to one of the top four in the WSL or a top team in Europe.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2022 at 17:35, Sulberto21 said:

Party at Douglas Luiz’s tonight!!!

played well excellent tactics but at times some poor decision making cost us more goals.

Dali is a very good player but infuriatingly selfish at times when a 10 yard pass would be enough to open the defence up.

Daly is genuinely elite level. Lehmann I still believe would be better in the middle because of her balance and she can go in either direction and has good passing imo. 

Well played and yes Carla Ward would be a great choice for the men’s team.

Can Aston Villa be pioneers yet again????

BlueArcticAngwantibo-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

On 19/09/2022 at 07:02, theboyangel said:

Terrific win but my god, the goalkeepers were both awful 

Hannah Hampton apparently made more saves than any other keeper in the WSL last sesson (which says quite a lot about our defence against the top teams!), including some magnificent ones, as Useless has pointed out... But she also made several clangers where the ball just went through her hands, which I saw in a few match highlights. She has been very open and honest about how her eyesight still isn't completely corrected after the three eye operations she had as a child (she was born cross-eyed). She says that before working very hard to adapt and allow for her vision problem she used to get nose bleeds and broken fingers as a girl when playing in goal as she frequently misjudged the flight of the ball... and I think this was after her operations.

She's become a really good keeper through refusing to give up and working so hard at improving, what an amazing, inspirational determination to defy the odds. But I can't help thinking she might have been a truly great keeper by now (maybe the best in the world) rather than 'just' a really good one if it weren't for her sight issue, i.e. all the remarkable saves still but without the occasional but noticable significant mistakes. :< 

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

Â