Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

20 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

They have changed their name from Ladies to Women. 

Brand

Also made three signing yesterday, to go with the first pro they had last season. 

Think Purslow will really push to help the brand of Aston Villa develop, similar to how City have done previously and Man Utd did last year.

Good name change. And a good strategy to develop the whole brand. There's a huge potential in women, if we can do it right.

• Like 2

Genuine question - does anyone care?

I'm not being arsey about it but personally I've never taken any notice, despite them flying the flag for the club.

I take more interest in how our youth teams perform though in truth, I've barely taken any notice of that either in the past few years.

Has anyone here been to see the Villa ladies/women play out of interest?

Gosh more Womens football being forced on us, Its bad enough the Villa twitter account retweets the womens account constantly.

Good luck to the women who no doubt try hard and dedicate their lives to football. But seeing as the women don't qualify to play for the actual Aston Villa I'd like this to be moved to other football

I think it's good. For not much money (in the grand scheme of things) we could really make something of the women's team. I'm not happy that the shit play in the league above us for one thing... let's sort that out at least.

As for it being 'forced' on you... come off it, if you don't like it then don't read or look at it. Having to skip past a tweet as it's about the women is not being 'forced' anything.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Genuine question - does anyone care?

I'm not being arsey about it but personally I've never taken any notice, despite them flying the flag for the club.

I take more interest in how our youth teams perform though in truth, I've barely taken any notice of that either in the past few years.

Has anyone here been to see the Villa ladies/women play out of interest?

I haven’t seen them play, and probably wouldn’t. But it’s a growing sport, if it increases the clubs brand and reputation then that’s got to be a good thing. It’s only going to get more popular, so personally I think it would be very naive of the club not to try to take advantage of that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blunther said:

Having to skip past a tweet as it's about the women is not being 'forced' anything.

It's not skipping past a tweet though. If you have push notifications on for the Villa account it comes to your mobile with only the first part of any sentence. I've already been caught out with a retweet they did that season tickets were for sale and its only when you open it that you realise its a retweet of womens stuff

Just now, Junxs said:

It's not skipping past a tweet though. If you have push notifications on for the Villa account it comes to your mobile with only the first part of any sentence. I've already been caught out with a retweet they did that season tickets were for sale and its only when you open it that you realise its a retweet of womens stuff

Fair enough, if they're doing clickbait like that then that's annoying, but that's the club being a bunch of twerps rather than women's football more generally.

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

But it’s not being “forced on us”.

Has anyone associated with the women’s game made you post in here? Will this thread existing in On Topic decrease your enjoyment of VillaTalk? Did Gabby Logan hold a gun to your head forcing you to watch the BBC’s coverage of the women’s World Cup?

If you don’t want to read the thread, then don’t read the thread.

I listen to 4 or 5 different football podcasts, in the past few weeks they have all been spending at least half the show talking about womens football. So thats why I feel its being forced on us. All the media seems to have glossed over the U21s tournament, Copa America and AFCON.

The other day I wanted to watch some world cup cricket but only had access to Sky Sports main event, and they were showing womens cricket rather than the World cup game that only comes around every 4 years.

I want it in off topic/other football because it's got nothing to do with Aston Villa. When we sell a player it gets moved to other football.. well these women cant ever play for Aston Villa. I don't hear people saying well if you don't want to read about Alan Hutton etc you can skip over it

Edited by Junxs

57 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I haven’t seen them play, and probably wouldn’t. But it’s a growing sport, if it increases the clubs brand and reputation then that’s got to be a good thing. It’s only going to get more popular, so personally I think it would be very naive of the club not to try to take advantage of that.

Yeah it’s a fair point, if it’s beneficial from a commercial perspective then go for it I guess.

I think this summer may be the zenith for women’s football though rather than the start of something bigger. It feels like when everyone got really excited about the paralympics a few years back but then everyone lost interest again cos they realised that whilst amazing, it’s also kinda shit.

Who is the market for women’s football to expand?

Current football fans - I just don’t see enough people being that interested nor have the time to follow women’s football alongside the men’s. I’m also not sure the quality will ever get that much better to be honest because of simple genetics and physicality.

At the moment it feels like a lot of non-football fans have gotten into it but that novelty will soon wear off and those same people will go back to being non-football fans again.

If I’m being totally honest (tin hat to the ready), I don’t really want it to succeed, it doesn’t fill a gap in the market and I don’t want something that may, in any way impact or dilute the men’s game.

But that’s just me.

7 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I listen to 4 or 5 different football podcasts, in the past few weeks they have all been spending at least half the show talking about womens football. So thats why I feel its being forced on us.

The other day I wanted to watch some world cup cricket but only had access to Sky Sports main event, and they were showing womens cricket rather than the World cup game that only comes around every 4 years.

I want it in off topic/other football because it's got nothing to do with Aston Villa. When we sell a player it gets moved to other football.. well these women cant ever play for Aston Villa. I don't hear people saying well if you don't want to read about Alan Hutton etc you can skip over it

Is that not just because women's football is about half of the football that is on at the moment?

And also they are playing for Aston Villa are they not? I mean Aston Villa Women's team is part of Aston Villa Football Club. No? Sure it's not the men's senior team but it's sure as hell not part of Arsenal or Man City. Talking about putting this thread in to off topic or other football like the players we sell is a bit strange considering the players play for Aston Villa. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Is that not just because women's football is about half of the football that is on at the moment?

And also they are playing for Aston Villa are they not? I mean Aston Villa Women's team is part of Aston Villa Football Club. No? Sure it's not the men's senior team but it's sure as hell not part of Arsenal or Man City. Talking about putting this thread in to off topic or other football like the players we sell is a bit strange considering the players play for Aston Villa. 

No, theres been an U21s tournament, Copa America and the AFCON, its all been overshadowed by womens World Cup.

They don't play for Aston Villa, they play for Aston Villa Women. They cant progress to the first team like the youth team players can. Where do you draw the line? There will be individual threads on all the players before we know it.

Edited by Junxs

It can also help with FFP.  pump loads of money into the womens team, then hire coaches and other staff from us. So the womens team could pay aston villa for them. Could do the same with facilities etc. Maybe sponsorship as well. Wouldn't surprise me if it went well that it could pay Andre Greens wages for a year maybe more.

• Like 1

Â