Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

At the Euros Hannah Hampton was the only none top four WSL player in the whole England squad, now she's been dropped for the World Cup Qualifying games in September, despite her or other keepers not having played between the end of the Euros and now, so it's not as if form has changed, she's lost her place to Man City's backup goalkeeper.

Rachel Daly is now the only non top four WSL player in the squad, I read a theory that there's a lot of bias towards the 'top four' in the women's game because they're trying to make it reflect the men's game as much as possible, as that's what will attract more interest, I'm starting to wonder if there might be some truth in that, feels almost as if we're not allowed more than one player in the squad.

Also interestingly Ebony Salmon has been called up, she came through our academy; season before last she was playing for Bristol City when they were relegated, I wondered if we might have signed her back then, but she went to the NWSL and has seemingly done well.

England manager says she has some personal issues so best for her to stay with her club, I notice now that she didn't play in the friendly against Everton but was on the bench, which is very strange, as we're getting close to the season now, so need all our best players featuring in the remaining friendlies, and presumably she wasn't injured otherwise wouldn't have been on the bench.

Was going to say that I hope the personal issues aren't to do with the possibility of her leaving the club, but of course probably something more important than that in the grand scheme of things, hope she's okay either way.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2022 at 16:13, useless said:
Fourteen players between the England U16 and U19 age groups, seems a lot, not sure how big these camps are, but can only be a good sign for the academy.

Freya Gregory and Laura Blindkilde have both been called up the England U23 squad, I wondered why they weren't with the U19s, Anna Patten is also there, Pacheco misses out as turned 24 today, so is going to have to see if she can make the senior squad I guess.

Olivia Rabjohn has signed for Coventry City on a dual contract, not sure how these dual contracts work, but I think it's like a loan, only the player is also allowed to play for us should we require. Lauren Purchase has also signed for Nottingham Forest on a dual contract.

• Like 1

We lost our final pre-season game 3-2 to Reading, not a good sign to be honest as Reading being tipped to be struggle this coming, as have been signing lower league players, I think the financial struggles of the mens team affecting the women's team and how much they can spend, they lost 3-1 to Leicester in their last friendly Leicester themselves another team being tipped to struggle as they haven't made much in the way of improvents to a team that only survived last season because of how poor small heath were.

Rachel Daly scored both of our goals.

Hopefully it will be different when the season starts in a few weeks, but losing to Reading and Liverpool, and failing to Beat Everton aren't great results, we've improved the team considerably this summer, with possibly more to come, and improved the coaching staff, so going to be under pressure next season to improve and have a comfortable midtable finish.

Can't help thinking the squad looks really threadbare and we need 4 or 5 new signings. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Rachel Daly played and scored for England Ladies last night. She should hopefully have a really good season with us. 

A little surprised that our official website hasn’t acknowledged her performance and goal from last night? Perhaps they’ll put something up later today.

We're apparently trying to sign Kirsty Hanson on loan from Man United, she hasn't been their first choice striker but she has a good goals to minutes ratio over the last three seasons, nine goals in just over twenty-five games worth of WSL football, Brighton and Spurs also reportedly interested, but Tom Garry of the Telegraph was saying as of yesterday that we're close to a deal.

We also want a midfielder.

Transfer window closes tomorrow.

• Like 4

On 07/09/2022 at 15:02, useless said:

We're apparently trying to sign Kirsty Hanson on loan from Man United, she hasn't been their first choice striker but she has a good goals to minutes ratio over the last three seasons, nine goals in just over twenty-five games worth of WSL football, Brighton and Spurs also reportedly interested, but Tom Garry of the Telegraph was saying as of yesterday that we're close to a deal.

We also want a midfielder.

Transfer window closes tomorrow.

This loan has now been confirmed.

From OS

Aston Villa Women are pleased to announce the signing of Kirsty Hanson on a season-long loan from Manchester United, subject to league approval.

The Scotland international becomes Carla Ward’s eighth summer signing.

Hanson, 24, is a forward who can operate across the frontline and has previous experience with United, Doncaster Rovers Belles and Sheffield FC.

Manager Ward said: "Kirsty is someone I've known for many years."

"She’s an exciting talent who will add quality and experience to our forward line."

"She’s a winner and we’re delighted to get her on board."

Welcome to Aston Villa, Kirsty!

• Like 1

Transfer window closed now, a shame we didn't sign another midfielder, with Allen's injury, our only options at the moment are Ruesha Littlejohn and Olivia McLoughlin as sitting midfielders, and Laura Blindkilde Brown and Kenza Dali as more attacking midfielders, could have really done with another box-to-box midfielder option.

We only have three senior centre-backs as well, Patten, Corsie, and Sargeant, I'm guessing they didn't sign a fourth as don't want to block Evie Rabjohn's pathway, she's only seventeen, but linked with all the top four this summer, if we're going to convince her to sign a professional deal with us then I guess we have to show her she'd going to get game time.

Overall we've done well, signed some good players, Kenza Dali, Rachel Daly, and Kirsty Hanson other than Mana Iwabuchi are probably the highest profile signings we've made since promotion, along with Anna Patten and Rachel Corsie signed in January they all improve our starting eleven, and then the likes of Natasha Turner, Danielle Harding, and Simone Magill improve the squad, as do some of the youngsters we've got coming through.

Edited by useless

With regards to the squad size, Evie Rabjohn has been promoted to the first team as expected, but so too have Mary McAteer and Isobel Goodwin.

McAteer is a midfielder, and judging by the amount of goals she scores for the U21s presumably an attacking one, she's also a Welsh youth international.

Goodwin is a centre-forward and an England youth international, she signed her first professional contract a couple of summers back, but has been unlucky that she's had a few long-term injuries since then, I'm not even sure if she's fully fit now, but has been added to the the team on the official site, so hopefully that's a good sign.

• Like 2

On 08/09/2022 at 20:28, useless said:

Transfer window closed now, a shame we didn't sign another midfielder, with Allen's injury, our only options at the moment are Ruesha Littlejohn and Olivia McLoughlin as sitting midfielders, and Laura Blindkilde Brown and Kenza Dali as more attacking midfielders, could have really done with another box-to-box midfielder option.

We're even more so short in midfield now as Ruesha Littlejohn has a broken foot.

Â