Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

We had nine academy products in the squad today

Sarah Mayling, Laura Blindkilde Brown, Anna Draper, Olivia McLoughlin, Freya Gregory, Isobel Goodwin, Evie Rabjohn, Georgia Mullett and Martha Macphail

• Like 3

Was there. Infuriating game as we absolutely dominated. West Ham just took 2 of their 3 chances and we couldn't. Daly should have taken the penalty so Carla Ward wasn't happy with that. Dirty play for West Ham even in the first half from their keeper on Daly. Lucky to still be on the with pitch so of course she saves the penalty 

• Sad 1

I made the game with the boy to support the girls great entertainment to be honest.

Frustrating at times due to poor last ball but overall well worth the money.

Dali is by far the best player we need more like her.

• Like 1

Carla Ward is actually out of contract at the end of this season but she’s already stated this week that she’d like to stay long term.

Really hope we agree an improved contract with her soon as she’s really kicked us on. Our profile in the woman’s game must be going through the roof right now.

A final point on yesterday, I know Daly gets a lot of the headlines and rightly so but Dali is absolutely fantastic with the ball. What a signing she is. Frustrating result yesterday but a really enjoyable watch and we deserved better.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 3

I didn't realise we missed a penalty! Shame.

The good thing is, that compared to last year, we are now making (and taking) chances and look like scoring a couple each game. 

The players we have brought in seem to be a notch up on what has been there before.

And Carla Ward seems to be doing a great job at bringing them all together into a good footballing team. 

I remember watching McLoughlin for the first time a couple of years back in our first season in the WSL, I couldn't believe it when they said she was only sixteen, she looked our best and most assured player. Easy to forget given how many times she's played for us that she's only just turned eighteen, only Jess Carter and Lauren Hemp made more Womens' Super League appearance before their eighteenth birthday.

Results have been up and down this season as more players have gone out on loan/dual contracts, and others more invovled with the first team, but our U21s beat Everton 7-2 yesterday, Isobel Goodwin scored an hat-trick. Goodwin might get more game time in the first team now, as Emily Gielnik picked up an injury with Australia and is out until Christmas, and not sure when  Simone Magill is due back.

Results were always likely to be mixed, anyone who thought we were suddenly going to start winning most games just because we had a good start was serioulsy setting themselves up for disappointment, us losing games, and sometimes losing two or three games in a row was always going to happen, the main thing is to make sure we improve overall on last season.

Â