Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Easily our biggest signing to date. This is huge. For where we stand as a club right now in the WSL, having 2 England internationals is very impressive.

Should also help our inability to score goals.

• Like 2

She's normally an attacker for Houston Dash, I think she can play anywhere across the front three, she's their all time top scorer, and the all time top European scorer in The National Women's Soccer League, Carla Ward also said that for us she's a forward. We have signed another left-back this summer, Danielle Turner, so I guess whe will be competing with Pacheco.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Daly is a big coup for us, would have expected her to go to one of the 'top four', would say possibly Spurs who are kind of the 'best of the rest team' , but even that would have been a surprise and a coup for them, so for us to sign her really does say something about the ambition we're showing, as I doubt a move like this would have come cheap, and no doubt she would have got offers from elsewhere.

It's kind of gone under the radar a little, but Kenza Dali a French international, also a big coup for us, with these two signings expectations for next season have probably risen, and I think there might be more signings to come.

We've gone from a team that if not careful could go down, to one that really should be challenging for a place in the top eight, which is the club's aim, but Ward's personal aim is top six.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just came on to ask if signing Daley was a coup but have seen it’s already been answered by posters on here.

Great to see.

IMO easily the biggest signing the women have ever made. In the years to come we can hopefully attract the younger end of the market. It's all looking good for the women

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

IMO easily the biggest signing the women have ever made. In the years to come we can hopefully attract the younger end of the market. It's all looking good for the women

I think the plan is to develop the next generation and signing the older heads that have been there done it can only help.

• Like 1

We lost 6-1, I guess a combination of playing weakend team, giving some of the academy players game time, and Sevilla probably being much better than us. Good to see Gielnik get a consolation goal.

Edited by useless

4 hours ago, useless said:

We lost 6-1, I guess a combination of playing weakend team, giving some of the academy players game time, and Sevilla probably being much better than us. Good to see Gielnik get a consolation goal.

They shouldn't be...

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

They shouldn't be...

I know everybody's excited about Rachel Daly, and I am too, but in truth we have a pretty poor team and avoiding finishing in last is going to be the main job, whether the club admit it or not.

Women's football in general from what I can gather is better in Spain than it is in England as they've been taking it more seriously for longer than we have, Sevilla did better in what's probably  a stronger league than we did in the WS, so not sure why they shouldn't be better than us. And they're most certainly better than us when we're playing a weakend team, Hannah Hampton, Anna Patten, Remi Allen, Rachel Daly amongst others all missing.

We played with a seventeen year old in central defence, a left-back as part of the front three, and the central midfield only had one actual midfielder, as Blindkilde and Dali are more No.10s than they are central midfielders.

Today was a friendly in conditions that they're not used to playing in, with half of our players unavailable, against a better team, I don't think we can read much into it, we won't field a team like that in the WSL, and Sevilla probably better than most WSL teams.

We've strengthened the squad a lot this summer, and it's not just about Rachel Daly, we've let go most of our championship level players, and replaced them with experienced midtable level WSL players, so before Daly arrived the squad was already stronger than it was, and Daly isn't the only big name we've brought in, Dali also has very good pedigree, was being linked with bigger clubs than us, even someone like Magill has very good goals and assists stats compared to what we're used to.

I'd expect us to finish above Leicester, Reading, and Liverpool, and given we finished above Everton last season will probably have a good chance of doing so again, we were only six points off a top six finish last season and were incredibly unlucky in games in the second half of the season, they were dominating teams, just couldn't score often enough, for me midtable, or a top eight finsh should very much be the aim, shouldn't be anywhere near relegation.

Elisha N'Dow has joined Charlton on loan, that leaves Corsie, Patten, and Sargeant as our only senior centre-backs, could be that they're putting a lot of faith in Evie Rabjohn and using her as fourth choice, she's England youth international, was captain of the U17s and is now already part of U19s set-up, so I think she's seen as a good prospect, but has only just turned seventeen, so could be risky relying on her if we were to get a few injuries.

Maybe a good chance they will bring in another centre-back.

With Allen injured, Scott and Arthur gone, central midfield probably needs strengthening as well, whether we bring back Scott or someoone else comes in.

Losing to Liverpool was slightly disappointing because forget the name they won't be a major force next season, they've signed a few players, but the gap between the championship and WSL is massive, they will be doing well just to avoid being in a relegation battle.

Biggest dissapointment though was that we conceded after two minutes and that was the game already lost for us as we couldn't score oursevles, something we're all too familair with.

On the positive side of things it was only a friendly, so can't really read too much into it, we had most of our best players available but they weren't all on the pitch together at any point, and given we've made six new signings, it's going to take a while for them to gel.

Carla Ward said in an interview with Sky a few days back that we're looking to bring in a few more, so our squad is going to be further strengthened.

Â