Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

As above I would have thought the likes of Melissa Philips, Jo Potter, Remi Allen, maybe Vicky Jepson would be contenders, but if Monchi and Vidagany are making the final decision maybe will try and be more ambitious, I wonder if the likes of Laura Harvey or Casey Stoney would be out of our league, Harvey knows the region as spent about six years with small heath, linked with Chelsea recently but I don't think she's going there

One positive of late has been how well Hanson has been playing looks back to her best, running past players with ease, with better finishing would have had a few more assists recently, unlucky with a shot against the post today

• Like 1

Good win, and a good battling performance, put a lot of effort into that considering we have nothing to play for, and saw the game out really well to protect 1-0 lead

Won 0-1 and played some good football. Pretty comfortable throughout really. Lehmann with the goal.

24 points now. Good to see Parker back on the pitch. 

https://fawslfulltime.co.uk/2024/05/04/it-was-emotional-aston-villa-boss-ward-discusses-exit-announcement-after-win-at-brighton/

When speaking to WSL Full-Time after the match, Ward said that the players and staff were only told of her decision to step down yesterday before going on to explain how her commitment to the job has taken it’s toll over a lengthy period.

“I told the players and staff yesterday,” Ward said. “It has been a conversation that has been ongoing for a couple of months with the Board. It has been harder because they have tried everything to get me to stay. They’ve been absolutely brilliant, they’ve offered me support with the little one, they’ve offered me everything that you can possibly think of to stay. Sometimes, you have to recognise when you need a break and you need to breathe. As I have eluded to in the past, I leave my house at 5.30am and it’s a 200-mile trip in and back every day. It’s one that after four years, has taken it’s toll. I’m exhausted. I want a break, I want to spend time with my little girl, reflect and recharge and I think I’ll come back better for it.”

Ward is someone who prides herself on strong personal relationships in the game both internally and externally. She went on to say that breaking the news was emotional for herself and her dressing room.

She said “I’ve signed them all; it was emotional with the staff and the players. There were tears, that’s the reality; I’ve got good relationships with everyone. It was tough for me to tell them, I built myself up to tell them and then blubbered a little bit. They know that I care about them, they know they have a manager who has tried to bring out the best in them and I’ve given them a platform to be people rather than players. It’s something that I pride myself on and I’ll continue to have good relationships with them.

Aston Villa’s players responded positively to Ward’s news on the pitch, delivering a good performance against Brighton & Hove Albion. Alisha Lehmann’s second half goal was enough to earn The Villans a thoroughly-deserved three points. Ward said that she has challenged her players to make more memories in her final two games in charge.

She said “I said to the girls yesterday that we have two big weeks and we can either roll over or we can use this to dig deep and really enjoy ourselves together. We’ve created a lot of memories together, so let’s create a couple more in the last couple of weeks. They were excellent and credit to them with the way that they applied themselves today.”

Ward’s final match in charge of Aston Villa is against Manchester City at Villa Park on Saturday 18 May 2024.

Great win. Really good we could see this one out today. We'll end the season in 7th, not so bad. Liverpool have likely jumped us completely but still in around Spurs for next season for top 6 you'd hope. 

Definitely a big rebuild needed for next year. Defensive areas a key one for the new manager. Obviously we haven't got the budget of the top sides but I really hope there's a respectable amount available for changes and the club are taking the women's side serious because I'll be honest, I'm a little sceptical after January but we'll see. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I honestly assumed she lived locally to the club or certainly within a reasonable distance. No wonder she’s shattered doing a 200 mile journey everyday! Having a little one and barely seeing her would be a killer as well. Watching them grow up shouldn’t be missed.

Glad the team played well and responded to the news with a win today. That one is for you Carla, thanks again and you can certainly leave with your head held high 👏

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villaajax said:

I thought the 200 mile round trip every other week or so was bad enough 😅

Yeah same for me !

Credit to her for commitment to that journey and the job for so long...must have been long days sometimes.

Thanks Carla Ward, for all you have done for Villa Women

• Like 1

Carla Ward has done very well overall, first season with her we comfortably avoided relegation and established ourselves in the WSL, at that time we didn't have a lot of quality in the squad, our best players were probably Mayling and Hampton, our best attacker was Lehmann and she wasn't as good then as she is now, second season was our best season ever in pretty much every aspect, league placing, points total, goals scored, cup run, and this season has been our second best season ever by the same measures

I just hope we do a good job of replacing her, I would be fine with someone like Melisa Phillips, if we can get someone who's been more succesful and is a good fit even better, worry is we're no longer that bothered about the women's team and go for an uninspring cheap option, when Darren Carter left small heath for example and said he has other opportunities, I wondered if he could be coming to us, but as an assistant coach to Ward, I hope we would't appoint him as Head Coach

We've invested a lot in the academy so someone who's prepared to give them a chance might make sense, that's one area where Ward maybe could have done better, obviously if they're not good enough or ready they can't play, but the likes of Freya Gregory and McLoughlin who are proven to be good enough at WSL level could have played more, and at times this season when the bench has been so threadbare surely we could have put some of the U21s on there even if  just for the experience

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Rachel Maltby played the full 90 minutes as England won their first game of the U17s Euros 3-0 against Norway

Edited by useless

I see Remi Allen has left London City Lionesses, their fans seem shocked and dissappointed, wouldn't be surprised if she ended up back with us, either as Ward's replacement or as assistant manager to someone else

• Like 1

I see Remi Allen got off to a good run when she became London City Lionesses head coach, although it looks as though whatever 'bounce' her appointment brought had begun to peter out a bit towards season's close. If they'd not won their final match against the already relegated Lewes, they'd have finished on the same number of points as third-from-bottom Reading. 

Remi Allen was only at London City Lionesses for six games, the reason she was appointed in the first place was because they were in the bottom two and in danger of relegation, that they would have finished on the same points as Reading without the win on the last day is a positive not a negative, when she was appointed they were eight points behind Reading but finished three points ahead of them, and more crucially ten points clear of relegation, she won four of her six games and was manager of the month for March

I hope we can get someone with an history of winning things, or of some kind of success, but if not then someone like Allen probably worth a go, she's done all her coaching badges and has been helping with the coaching of academy teams at all the clubs she's played for, as well as recently being assistant head coach to the England U23 team

I wasn't trying to put a negative cast what she'd done; it was more a quick weighing up of pro and con in terms of the short time she'd been LCL head coach. I haven't watched any recordings of their matches, so it's a very surface observation.

Â