Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

On 18/09/2022 at 15:35, HKP90 said:

Dali and Daly both excellent. The way Dali runs reminds me of Ashley Young.

Oh yeah, she does run like him, you're right! Well noticed. 🧐 I just watched the highlights again... I find it hard to explain how but for a start they seem to have the same kind of drop of the shoulder. And maybe they both run in a seemingly nonchalent way but at the same time an in control, effective one (Grealish style).

I thought she was very good and especially in the move for the winning goal with a series of perfect little touches with the outside of her foot as she ran forward towards the box and then that absolutely brilliant reverse pass, perfectly weighted and placed for her team-mate (Blindkilde?) to run onto and shoot.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

On 19/09/2022 at 08:04, useless said:

Hampton could have done better with Man City's first yesterday and looked like it played on her mind a little bit in the second half, but she was probably our best player last season, so many times she made remarkable saves to keep us in games, without her survival wouldn't have been anywhere near as comfortable as it was in the end.

Some have tipped us to be in a relegation battle again, I think we should have more than enough to avoid that and we should be looking to challenge top eight, but if she was to get injured for a lengthy period that would change everything, probably the player we can least afford to not have in the team, perhaps even more so than Rachel Daly, without Hampton last season we would have taken so many more thrashings and dropped a lot more points.

She's in the last year of her contract now, if we can convince her to sign a contract extension it will be one of the biggest and most important signings we could make, if she doesn't sign up to stay with us then make no mistake about it she will be going to one of the top four in the WSL or a top team in Europe.

Yes, she did make plenty of fantastic saves last season and she's clearly a truly inspirational person having worked so hard to defy the odds with regard to her vision and becoming a WSL and England keeper. But... 

what about this vision issue, if it hasn't been totally put right? From my understanding of her interviews I've seen or read, it hasn't been completely resolved unfortunately.

What about several 'clangers' she made last season, which I really think are likely to be due to her not-totally-corrected eyesight, where the ball surprisingly went through her hands?

She's got a depth perception issue, she makes the occassional mistake because of it, but more than makes up for it over the season, it's not as if she makes big errors costing us goals every game or every other game, in fact she only made a few over last season.

To be honest I don't think the goal she could have done better with on Sunday had anything to do with her sight issues, as she saved it initially, was just one of those things, from what I've read I think it's more crosses into the box or long balls that she can sometimes struggle with because of having difficulty judging the flight of the ball, normally shot stopping isn't an issue for her, quite the oppossite in fact.

You know she must be doing something right to get into the England squad whilst playing for a none 'top four' team, the only WSL player to do so during the Euros, if she was to leave it would be to go to a top four team, presuming she's as good this season as she was last, and it would be almost impossible for us to replace her.

She makes the odd error, but almost feels wrong to focus on those, would be like having someone like Harry Kane but instead of appreciating all the goals he scores, focusing on the few occasions where he might miss easy chances, without Hampton we would have been much closer to relegation last season than we were, the amount of game saving saves she made was ridiculous.

Also worth remembering that she's still only 21, still very young so probably going to get better.

• Like 4

Surely for future VP games we should open Holte end lower and put 1k or so fans in there if we can get a similar crowd to yesterday.

It was a shame Holte saw so many goals yesterday and it was infront of endless empty seats with everyone grouped up in the Trinity.

We need to advertise the games a bit more aswell when held at VP, I didn't hear any announcement of us playing during the Southampton game unless I missed it.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 22:32, VillaChris said:

Surely for future VP games we should open Holte end lower and put 1k or so fans in there if we can get a similar crowd to yesterday.

I think you have to open the Trinity anyway, that's where the team facilities are, the media stuff and the hospitality (which does well for the Women's games). I don't think we need to open another stand until such time as we're selling the Trinity out. Having fans along the side when you don't have a full ground always works better as there's more of a spread along the length of the pitch.

44 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Is there a list of games being played at VP this season? Would love to go and support them but don’t fancy going all the way to the bescott. 

Looking at the fixture list, they don’t play at VP again until the end of March which is rubbish. 

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Any chance Carla Ward could give Stevie a few pointers?

Come on mate, you are better than that. I'd expect that sort of comment from certain people, but you? ;) 

I'm not angry, just disappointed. 

Edited by Xela

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Is there a list of games being played at VP this season? Would love to go and support them but don’t fancy going all the way to the bescott. 

I went to the Bescott (or the Poundland as it’s now called) a few weeks back to see a Walsall game (stag do)

Its very easy to get to to be fair. Train straight to the stadium from new street. Not much different from getting the train to VP

• Like 1

Â