Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I like him alot, but he ain't gonna improve on that inconsistency, he's had it since day one, an he certainly ain't gonna give me a go on Lehmann, so if he goes he goes.

Edited by foreveryoung

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I like him alot, but he ain't gonna improve on that inconsistency, he's had it since day one, an he certainly ain't gonna give me a go on Lehmann, so if he goes he goes.

Ah would you stop. You’d turn her lesbian again. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, andym said:

No idea what he was doing on their 3rd

He'd been good up until then

Just a case of one player in a team settling in 14th and a world class player desperate to add another league.

I've enjoyed watching him for a few years but he's had a pretty mediocre season and tbh I think he decided to leave six months back given the lack of news on any contract talks so would be surprised if he's still here in a month.

4 hours ago, TomC said:

We overused him and McGinn again this year. You have to rotate players and give them a break or they lose their legs late in games.

Would be interesting to see how many times McGinn has been subbed in last two seasons. I can remember him going off at Newcastle late on because it was so unusual to see him subbed.

Would be interested to know why managers want to keep him on the pitch at all times given he rarely scores. Perhaps it's because he can drop back and stop some counter attacks but like you say it needs to change next season.

Doug is leaving so interested how he gets on, I think he'll have a Veretout type career and playing in slower league will help him more as he does have good technical quality when players stand off him.

• Like 1

Never been a big fan of Luiz. One of many that need to be improved on if we want to go to the next level. Happy to keep him around as a squad player but if a decent offer came in I would sell. 

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would be interesting to see how many times McGinn has been subbed in last two seasons. I can remember him going off at Newcastle late on because it was so unusual to see him subbed.

Would be interested to know why managers want to keep him on the pitch at all times given he rarely scores. Perhaps it's because he can drop back and stop some counter attacks but like you say it needs to change next season.

Doug is leaving so interested how he gets on, I think he'll have a Veretout type career and playing in slower league will help him more as he does have good technical quality when players stand off him.

Agree he’s technically good but lacks pace. This was evident today when KDB picked the ball up and ran 60 yards with it, Luiz never got near him. KDB even slipped in the end and still kept the ball. A slower league will definitely suit him better. 

3 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

The 2nd was more down to typical villa defending.....drop deep and forget the edge of the box.

There were 6 villa players all behind the penalty spot when the shot came in from the edge.

Most of the goals we have conceded this year have looked like this.

Luiz is the deepest....crazy positioning 

Maybe if you watch the goal notice how he picks up Gundogan. Mcginn is stationary marking space rather than dropping in to actually offer support when an overload is occurring on the edge of the area. Buendia gets beaten badly too. 

1 hour ago, WHY said:

Agree he’s technically good but lacks pace. This was evident today when KDB picked the ball up and ran 60 yards with it, Luiz never got near him. KDB even slipped in the end and still kept the ball. A slower league will definitely suit him better. 

Jesus got to the ball first because Luiz was on the other side of KDB to the ball so he had to get round. That was absolutely McGinn's fault for not sprinting back in transition to help out. If he had he wouldn't have been 20 yard behind the play and could have at least battled for the ball with Jesus. 

It was his fault, but I don't blame him at all. He was dead on his feet (as was McGinn), and he was having a good game before that. I'd absolutely keep him. He'd be valuable in our (and most team's) midfield rotation next season. Give him a new contract even if we intend to sell.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rolta said:

So many over dramatic comments. 

what do you mean..... the worst player ever and we will be happy on here when we sign an donkey like Phillips for 60 million 

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I like him alot, but he ain't gonna improve on that inconsistency, he's had it since day one

Famously, players never become more consistent as they move from early 20s to mid 20s… ;)

I kind of agree with your point in that I absolutely think the key thing for him in the next few years now is to demonstrate consistency - but 150 first team appearances before he turned 24 this month suggest he is well positioned to try it. I suspect it won’t be here… but if I had to put money on whether Aston Villa or Douglas Luiz would play Champions League football in the next five years, I wouldn’t be betting on us…

I think we’ll sell two out of Sanson, Nakamba and Luiz. I’m hoping it’s Sanson and Nakamba but I think Luiz will have more of a market albeit with only one year left on his contract don’t think we’ll get a massive fee.

He seems happier at Villa than he ever has with his girlfriend and South American team mates so wouldn’t surprise me if he wanted to stay another year, run down his contract and consider his options. He’ll probably get a lot less game time next season if he stays though.

57 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If Luiz was sold and we brought in Bissouma, I won’t complain. I’ll be annoyed if we loan Luiz out though.

That wouldn't make much sense given it's his last year. We'll either sell him or keep him until his contract runs out.

I doubt he'll be on massive wages, so loaning him out really wouldn't benefit us, I'd rather have him in the squad

27 minutes ago, WooJung said:

That wouldn't make much sense given it's his last year. We'll either sell him or keep him until his contract runs out.

I doubt he'll be on massive wages, so loaning him out really wouldn't benefit us, I'd rather have him in the squad

Totally agree. I expect him to be sold if we bring in another CM, just the pessimist in me still ticking along after yesterday.

After three years I still couldn't tell you what he's actually good at. We need to sell him this summer and I don't think we'd miss him at all.

Â