Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Don't like this buy back clause one bit, its essentially a loan.

Unless he's shite, they will buy him anyway to turn a profit.

Thought we had moved away from this short term thinking.

Buy back price will be at least £25m. I'd imagine more.

• Like 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

If a player is signed within the top 15% (i think) of their record transfers then they get a work permit.  Obviously City's record is a lot higher than ours.

I am sure that is the only reason Wesley got a permit 

• Like 1

Just now, osmark86 said:

the target this season is still survival, so getting a future Brazilian star DM (potentially) on our books if only for a year sounds very reasonable to me.

F this is to be taken at face value let's see how we feel about this in 12 months.

We also have to give him a good while to get used to the new league, by the time he's up to speed city will take him back.

The only way he stays is if he flops.

Surely it's much better to build medium and long term, with this it's out of our hands.

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I am sure that is the only reason Wesley got a permit 

Wes also played in the Champions League which counts towards it, plus being from Brazil gives you points.  If Doug plays over 30% of Brazil's games this season then he will automatically get a work permit so City can just buy him back, otherwise they may still be struggling still come next season.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Douglas impressed last season during his performances in Spain for Girona, playing a key role in the Catalonia club’s memorable 2-1 win over Real Madrid at the Bernabeu in February.

Working from home today, Will try and find this game on YouTube 

9 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Don't like this buy back clause one bit, its essentially a loan.

Unless he's shite, they will buy him anyway to turn a profit.

Thought we had moved away from this short term thinking.

If it's not us then it'll surely be another lower Premier League team that gets him 'permanently'.

This is very different, to me, from loaning second rate players that 'might' make it in the Prem like Tuanzebe and Johnstone. We would be loaning a player that Man City want to play in their first team.

Exaggerated slightly, but imagine if they offered us a loan deal for Aguero for a year, and they pay us a fee for the trouble. That's the type of loan deal I think we're looking at.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t really get why our work permit rules are stricter than in Europe? 

Because Hitler controls our immigration, that's why we need a Brexit so that Brazilians can come over here and steal our jobs better than Nazis. Or something, I think that is what Farage is getting at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nigel said:

This is a good thing?

One of our players being worth £25m or three times that to the champions? Probably yeah.

Don't put this in, don't get the player? We need players desperately.

What about if the buyback is £40m? Still of no interest to you?

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Wouldn't that depend on what the buy back clause is for City? These CL clubs are operating on another level of income. I wouldn't be surprised if the buy back clause was £ 30 million or more. In that case we would double our money? 

I am not a huge fan of being forced into a sale either, but we simply have too many holes to cover in this squad, so this is probably as good a deal as we can get without going on loans without a purchase option. 

Say it is 30 million, leeds want that for Phillip's now; that's a championship player.

The price of players will only go up, so relatively are we going to be better off?

It's a loan, pure and simple, only with the added downside that if he's not all that we are lumbered.

It just surprises me that the powers would agree to this, if it's true of course.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Buy back price will be at least £25m. I'd imagine more.

I'd imagine less than £25m personally. All the cards for this deal are in City's hands. If we start playing hard-ball, saying we want a higher buy-back clause, City can simply walk away and offer this deal to any other 11th-20th team in the league.

How much did they spend on him originally? £10m? I can't imagine they're going to 'sell' him to us, knowing they'll then have to spend another £10m-£20m on top of what they've sold him for.

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

This is a good thing?

it's not ideal, but it's the stature of the club as things stand. also had there been no buy back i'd imagine city would have wanted upwards of 20m. we get a player, and if he does well it's guaranteed profit. plus with it being a fixed fee there's no messing about unsettling him with poxy little offers + fabian delph.

city could go out and buy any player in the world. i imagine luiz will be off their radar once he signs for us

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

If it's not us then it'll surely be another lower Premier League team that gets him 'permanently'.

This is very different, to me, from loaning second rate players that 'might' make it in the Prem like Tuanzebe and Johnstone. We would be loaning a player that Man City want to play in their first team.

Exaggerated slightly, but imagine if they offered us a loan deal for Aguero for a year, and they pay us a fee for the trouble. That's the type of loan deal I think we're looking at.

Then we get used to playing with aguero, fantastic for the year but what of the ramifications for the next season. 

Our big players see one of our best leaving, is that going to help?

I wont go on any more as I'm just going to the same point, just hope this ain't how it appears.

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

F this is to be taken at face value let's see how we feel about this in 12 months.

We also have to give him a good while to get used to the new league, by the time he's up to speed city will take him back.

The only way he stays is if he flops.

Surely it's much better to build medium and long term, with this it's out of our hands.

If in 12 months we are still in the PL and in a good position to strengthen our squad with or without this player then I will probably feel pretty damn good. I agree that it's better to build medium and long term, which I think we already are doing even if it doesn't apply in this one particular case. this is all based on the assumption that he will hit the ground running and be an asset to us from the start (or at least quickly), but judging from what I've heard I think this will be the case. the DM position is one we need to plug and if we can do so with a huge prospect even if we are getting our pants pulled a bit, then yes I think it's still a good piece of business for where we currently stand as a club.

edit: tbf I see your point of view as well and agree that it isn't exactly ideal.

Edited by osmark86

Â