Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

You have just agreed with me with this quote. Most of the team is to casual, for me this comes down to inadequate coaching and discipline.

No I haven't because I believe Smith will have spoken to him about this after games and been trying to drill in 'keep it simple' and I don't believe there is too much more he can do. You don't necessarily believe this is the case and that's fine.

The lack of urgency in defence we completely agree and it drives me absolutely mad every game.

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

No I haven't because I believe Smith will have spoken to him about this after games and been trying to drill in 'keep it simple' and I don't believe there is too much more he can do. You don't necessarily believe this is the case and that's fine.

The lack of urgency in defence we completely agree and it drives me absolutely mad every game.

Then lets get someone who can, cause it seems he can't do much with any of them!

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm amazed by the amount of goodwill Luiz seems to have compared to other players.

Carles Gil syndrome or previously known as Reo Coker syndrome

He has potential but so has Trezeguet, except a few goals he has been anonymous and lightweight. That's on the player not the manager 

Cant see many takers in summer as we were probably only team in for him last summer 

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has potential but so has Trezeguet, except a few goals he has been anonymous and lightweight. That's on the player not the manager 

Cant see many takers in summer as we were probably only team in for him last summer 

It didn’t stop Pep Guardiola praising Luiz when we signed him, I think for someone of 21 years old, he has done well for us

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

The transfer fee is always relative to the club. Following some crucial mistakes, he's stepped up with some crucial goals. It's still his first full season in English football, and there's pressure to that. I hope he sticks around whatever the outcome.

• Like 2

I think he will be a really good player but not for us, if we get relegated.  See Veretout, Adama, Gueye, Gollini etc.  If we stay up, buy a big DM and with a year's experience he will be very good imo.  He's got the talent but just needs to get the decision making right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

£15 million isnt worth a thing in the current market, he was not in the top 20 signings last transfer window

For a then 21 year old with little experience, it was a lot of money for a Villa transfer, maybe not compared to other clubs

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Work permit issues, City couldn't resign him 

Anyone mentioned ohare yet? 

Luiz has done OK, inconsistent but he's not "shit" 

I understand that, I'm simply pointing out it's a silly argument to say 'well Pep said'. Pep also said Foden was 'the most talented players [he''s] ever seen'. Let's be honest, no one buys that. If they thought Luiz would be a world beater within 2 years they'd just loan him out for another season or two at which point they'd be able to get a work permit no problem.

I agree with your last line and I am optimistic about where he'll end up. 

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Bloody hell clutching at straws there aren't we. 1. He don't coach the keepers so that's 2 out. Grealish is cheating, because he is class anyway, an cracked on as soon as Smith played him, Ming's debatable, an what about the players we have now. Your sounding like Smith makes quality then they leave??

It's an argument whether he has coached anything into the players that we have. Concentrate on Luiz and we would have a player there to start.

Mings debatable? He went from Bournemouth cast-off to England starter under Smith's tutelage. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Mings debatable? He went from Bournemouth cast-off to England starter under Smith's tutelage. 

He was 3rd choice Bournemouth left back

• Haha 1

Grealish's assists and goal stats improved greatly since Smith arrived, he was already a superb player and was always going to get even better, but I think Smith has helped him a lot.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Grealish's assists and goal stats improved greatly since Smith arrived, he was already a superb player and was always going to get even better, but I think Smith has helped him a lot.

On the flip side we've been looking like a one man team since Smith arrived. 2 wins in 12 when he was injured last season.

Bruce managed to get results without him in his second season.

7 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm amazed by the amount of goodwill Luiz seems to have compared to other players.

I think most of us agree there is something there and he appears to have the talent to become a good player.

In my eyes Luiz is nowhere near ready to start until he becomes much less casual. The amount of times he tries a silly little flick off a situation like receiving a throw in and gives the ball straight to the opposition drives me mad.

There is no doubt in my mind this decision making will have been looked at in training and video sessions, but ultimately it will come down to him in that moment whether he decides to take to 10 yard pass or try to flick the ball off the back of his heel and over 3 opposition players.

I wouldn't say he has much goodwill, plenty of people are always quick to come on this thread and slag him off whereas to me someone like Nakamba seems to get off lightly when for example he was abysmal in the first half down at Bournemouth and was then dropped for the Spurs game.

He has flaws but there's a player there for me, just like a few could see Adama and Veretout had potential amongst the s*** in 15/16 and now less than five years on they're pretty good players in their respective leagues.

Â