Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Looks unfit, is slow, cant defend, offers very little going forwards slows down play when we aren't exactly fast anyway, lacks positional discipline, repeatedly passes it backwards when there are several options open, swans around like hes brilliant yet has been in pretty much all but a childs handful of games, below par.

As mentioned. He seems to be given unicorn credit due to being from Brazilian, if he was from the uk he would be slated.

People need to cut out the excuses for the half arsed lazy bottling performances he puts in when ever he starts.

He needs to be on the bench learning this season, unfortunately we have lumped far too much on him too quick.

Maybe if he had the odd start and mainly sub appearances I wouldn't be so harsh on him but he has from being one of my most hoped for promising players to being the one who I keep more of an eye on and notice just how bad he generally has been. 

That's down to our recruitment not protecting the younger ones by having an older bully in their to guide them.

• Like 4

Thought he played really well, but I get the impression he's protecting his body slightly for his next career move. I'd like to see him up his intensity a bit. In terms of footballing ability and calmness under pressure he is really, really good - especially for his age.

• Like 2

Just now, KentVillan said:

Thought he played really well, but I get the impression he's protecting his body slightly for his next career move. I'd like to see him up his intensity a bit. In terms of footballing ability and calmness under pressure he is really, really good - especially for his age.

He has confidence alright, at times it is a liability. His ‘no look’ passes and attempts to turn a player when in a risky position have cost us at times. I like him, I think he has a class about him but he is also frustrating. He’s a young player who needs space to develop but unfortunately we are relying on him. 

• Like 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

He has confidence alright, at times it is a liability. His ‘no look’ passes and attempts to turn a player when in a risky position have cost us at times. I like him, I think he has a class about him but he is also frustrating. He’s a young player who needs space to develop but unfortunately we are relying on him. 

Agree with all of this. I'm not saying he's perfect by any means. I just think he has way more potential than anyone else we've signed (with the possible exception of Louie Barry maybe).

Starting him in a cup final was a brave move from Smith, and ultimately I thought it worked out pretty well for him. We weren't carved open through the middle, as we have been at other times this season.

• Like 2

Just now, Jay.P.A said:

Put him next to Nakamba and a fully fit, confident McGinn and our midfield will be so much better. Only 2 weeks to go before McGinn is back. 

I think you are right but what about Drinkwater?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are right but what about Drinkwater?

Think he was a replacement for McGinn, and a gamble. 

It hasn't paid off so far but he still has a part to play. He'll be our 4th choice DCM/CM along with Hourihane so will be rotated with Nakamba, Luiz and McGInn. 

He wasn't bad, just not great either. Seems to struggle to make an impact which is what the expectation is. To be fair the whole team were on the back foot most of the game playing with a bit too much fear at times.

8 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

He's been mediocre at best for me. You have to accept that every player can't be a superstar but he doesn't particularly excel at any part of the game in such a crucial position on the field.

I thought I was in the Hourihane thread for a second

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I thought I was in the Hourihane thread for a second

TBH there's not much of a difference, from an impact point of view. One could even argue Hourihane has had a bigger impact. Granted Luiz's got more potential, but I doubt we'll be reaping the benefit anytime soon.

3 hours ago, vreitti said:

TBH there's not much of a difference, from an impact point of view. One could even argue Hourihane has had a bigger impact. Granted Luiz's got more potential, but I doubt we'll be reaping the benefit anytime soon.

Luiz is light years ahead of Hourihane. It's not even remotely close. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

That'd be down to potential, not current ability.

Even current ability - he's keeping Hourihane out of the side for a reason and let's not forget he got a full Brazil cap this season too. He gets involved far more, offers options, isn't shy of making a challenge, can also score goals... and he's only 21. 

53 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Even current ability - he's keeping Hourihane out of the side for a reason and let's not forget he got a full Brazil cap this season too. He gets involved far more, offers options, isn't shy of making a challenge, can also score goals... and he's only 21. 

And Wesley got a cap at the same time. I still don't think that made him good.

Smith also choose to give Drinkwater a couple of starts over Luiz, did that mean Drinkwater was better than Luiz? People can disagree with the manager's opinion on players youu know.

They're both liable to be passengers for our teams so involved far more is a stretch and last I checked, Luiz successful tackle rate is 1 per game so not shy of making a challenge is pushing it. Conor can score goals too, he's actually 4 times better at it than Luiz in terms of minutes per goal just in the league itself. And also 4 times better in minutes per assist too. And this is before i include the amount of times he's been directly at fault for us conceding a goal. His age just indicates his potential, not his current ablity.

Not that I'm even ranking Conor over Luiz at this point, I just disagree with the idea that he's miles ahead of him.

Edit: Ah, I looked at Luiz's overall stats instead of juust 2019-20. Conor is 2 times better at goalscoring and 2 times the better assister after adjusting for that.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Â