Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I agree, I dont mind loans that make us better.  I hate that sometimes that they can then be to the benefit for another team long term but we wouldnt have gotten to the PL without Tammy's goals as an example.  Obviously wasnt just Tammy but a lot of other players but Tammy's goals was a major factor because of scoring them and putting the fear of god into defences that allowed other players to play.  Yes now he's a regular at Chelsea and scoring goals so we have helped them but it helped us a lot.  So yeah in the right circumstances I'm more than happy for loan players but as you say the club arent.

In most normal years we'd have signed Tammy full time just like we did with Mings and El Ghazi. It was just an exceptional set of circumstances that all came together at once that meant he got a chance at Chelsea. If Sarri was still there and they didn't have a transfer ban they'd have cashed in on him (perhaps with a buy back clause) 100%.

• Like 2

Regardless of where he ends up next season I love thinking back to how excited I was when we were first linked with this guy. It might've been unfounded but it was fun nonetheless.

10 hours ago, Farlz said:

Luiz isn't a player you give up on after 1 season in English football, he's just like pretty much everyone else in our squad that he's highly inconsistent but has absolutely shown he has the quality. 

Whether we get relegated or not he's a player we really need to keep. 

If we go I'm certain he'll be looking to leave.

He'll be an excellent 90 min, 45 games a season player in three years. For now, he's someone we shouldn't have to rely on but here we are.

Douglas Luiz exclusive: How fierce favela life set Aston Villa midfielder up for the Premier League

For Aston Villa's Douglas Luiz, life in Rio's Nova Holanda favela brought a unique challenge. Like many of Rio's favela communities, crime and violence is rife, but so too is creativity and spirit.

Above all, Brazil, Rio and its favela residents have a weakness for football. Tiny pitches sit like amphitheatres, surrounded on all sides by shacks wedged into the landscape. Space is at a minimum, but small playground pitches are carved out as a priority, taking centre stage for a community where football is the lifeblood.

Some residents will leave and make a name for themselves outside. Before they do, life is fierce, and the football mirrors that. The favelas produce streetwise, physical footballers, a trait which compliments the samba technique we usually associate with Brazilians...

as many have said he's not the player we need now but will be in three years when he's at another club.

but you could say the same of 70% of our current first team and ultimately this is 'again' why we are likely to go down.

We have a better manager and infrastructure than when we last went down and even better players technically, but it feels like in terms of inexperience and lack of leadership we are much the same as then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mcginn says that's he's used the lockdown to really push on with his english

Mentioned that he's got a much better understanding of man on since they've gone back in to training 

Edited by villa4europe

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Mentioned that he's got a much better understanding of man on since they've gone back in to training 

That is always what I think with international players. They struggle because they don't understand the normal calls that players make. Especially Luiz he has made quite a few man in mistakes which if he had a better grasp of the language wouldn't have occurred. 

I play in Germany twice a week, even after translating it really simple things like "turn" don't translate, it's a different way of communicating

Easiest example is zuruck translates to back but if you want someone to pass backwards you say hinter which means behind 

Man on is Mann kommt which means man is coming 

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I read it that McGinn has improved his English, was going to say its not bad for a Scot ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just checked and seems we played the Nakamba-Luiz-McGinn trio v Liverpool at home. Would assume that's the only time we've played it at VP and we were a few minutes away from beating one of the best teams in world football.

If we are keeping Jack out wide and palying 4-3-3 I'd like to see that on a regular basis. That said I''d probably keep Luiz on the bench for Sheffield United and Chelsea as it's vital we have a player or two on the bench who can keep the tempo up from 70th minute onwards. That's something we really struggle to do (look at the Spurs game from the moment we equalised) and will be even more crucial with the long break.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just checked and seems we played the Nakamba-Luiz-McGinn trio v Liverpool at home. Would assume that's the only time we've played it at VP and we were a few minutes away from beating one of the best teams in world football.

If we are keeping Jack out wide and palying 4-3-3 I'd like to see that on a regular basis. That said I''d probably keep Luiz on the bench for Sheffield United and Chelsea as it's vital we have a player or two on the bench who can keep the tempo up from 70th minute onwards. That's something we really struggle to do (look at the Spurs game from the moment we equalised) and will be even more crucial with the long break.

Its hypothetical i know.....but 2 goals could give us 14 points, accruing 39 if we don't concede. those are the mathematical facts that face us......its much harder to score than stifle......2 measly goals, if we can shut teams out.

This task is doable if we approach it in the right manner......we are not going to be able to out score teams with the calibre we have to face.

clean sheets are key to our survival.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

The thing i didn't like about that game was that McGinn was on the right of the 3 and Douglas on the left. 

5 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The thing i didn't like about that game was that McGinn was on the right of the 3 and Douglas on the left. 

I imagine we set up like that to counter their full backs. Seemed to work out o.k until last 10 minutes when Robertson wasn't tracked and headed for 1-1.

I think that's the best bet for games like Newcastle and Palace that we really have to win. Nakamba is DM and then infront you have Luiz and McGinn who can be box to box and get back and help and also be a goal threat. Seems pretty balanced and the games have shown since xmas we can get Grealish into the game no problem from a wide position.

I'd certainly play it v Wolves at home and probably at Newcastle although I think Hourihane may get a start there as he played very well in the home game v them.

On 28/05/2020 at 14:01, VillaChris said:

In most normal years we'd have signed Tammy full time just like we did with Mings and El Ghazi. It was just an exceptional set of circumstances that all came together at once that meant he got a chance at Chelsea. If Sarri was still there and they didn't have a transfer ban they'd have cashed in on him (perhaps with a buy back clause) 100%.

We stay up I would try sign Tammy, he was absolutely ace for us and if were to sign much better quality. Tammy is where I'd start, hes a complete player and we have only one of those at Villa.

Big Ron would of had Tammy at Villa, didnt Big Ron ambush Angel for his signature, where were you when we needed you Ron. I feel like maybe JT should of done exactly that and somehow stuck one to chelsea and snagged us Tammy, oh the hate he'd of got back at the bridge

10 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We stay up I would try sign Tammy, he was absolutely ace for us and if were to sign much better quality. Tammy is where I'd start, hes a complete player and we have only one of those at Villa.

Big Ron would of had Tammy at Villa, didnt Big Ron ambush Angel for his signature, where were you when we needed you Ron. I feel like maybe JT should of done exactly that and somehow stuck one to chelsea and snagged us Tammy, oh the hate he'd of got back at the bridge

It's a very nice idea but think likes of Leicester and Newcastle would be in for Tammy if Chelsea made him available in next 6 months, perhaps Spurs aswell if Kane is sold.

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I imagine we set up like that to counter their full backs. Seemed to work out o.k until last 10 minutes when Robertson wasn't tracked and headed for 1-1.

I think that's the best bet for games like Newcastle and Palace that we really have to win. Nakamba is DM and then infront you have Luiz and McGinn who can be box to box and get back and help and also be a goal threat. Seems pretty balanced and the games have shown since xmas we can get Grealish into the game no problem from a wide position.

I'd certainly play it v Wolves at home and probably at Newcastle although I think Hourihane may get a start there as he played very well in the home game v them.

I think I have mentioned before that I do not think Nakamba should be bombing forward and joining in attacks so deep inside of opposition half. Remember we have defenders who are tall, brutish jolly green giant type players. We have time and time again left ourselves open to being overrun from opposition forward lines that have speed and reaction who simply caught us out because of how big our defenders are and how slow we are to react and sort a situation out. Having Nakamba at the back is a must for me and he should remain at the back mostly throughout the game to give us speed if we need it. There have been many times where if Nakamba had of stayed behind in our half that we may of seen out a game here n there, spurs was a perfect example of that and how we was caught out just inside our half and our sluggish defenders just couldn't recover in time. 

In order for us to be better we have to start mopping up balls better, we can only do that if we are not throwing every man forward all game. We have seen attacks mount to nothing and players who should of stayed back were way out of position and because of this situation that has developed we have leaked a goal or two very stupidly.

I think Graham Souness was spot on when he said the reason the bottom teams are bottom is they are trying to play attractive football and its costing them there points and premier status. In reality I would rather us play something unattractive for a while and secure our spot next season. To me it makes no sense to play this type of football at a time like this, especially since we can't field the team we want or were missing the mark in terms of players achieving consistency or a run of wins.

This season without a doubt has seen us fail to outscore teams, isnt what this type of football is supposed to be about us coming out in some of our games as the team who scored the most?? I know it's a work in progress, alot of work needed for sure but what's more important here for us??? keep banging away at trying to out score opponents who clearly have a much better eleven than we do on the day or play smart football and grind some wins out to achieve our status as a premier club next season, I'd like to think it's the Latter. Surely there has to be balance in trying to make the Smith style fit and be successful?? This season though it just looks as though its Smith style fit and survival is the cost.

Knowing our luck is that the Smith style will properly fit into place as we get relegated, it will all be in place in the championship, only problem I see with that is I fear that the majority will be shouting Smith out by then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Dave....it was John Gregory who bought Angel.

Uncle Doug craftily offered him a budget and John spent it on one player, which was unheard of in that era for us.....Doug was livid, but relented due to his agreement with Gregory.....Doug was usurped by his own crafty cockney.

but I am with you.....we lost an edge, when Tammy went back.

Ron would have had Tammy at Villa, but to be fair, so would Dean if he could have.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â