Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think I have mentioned before that I do not think Nakamba should be bombing forward and joining in attacks so deep inside of opposition half. Remember we have defenders who are tall, brutish jolly green giant type players. We have time and time again left ourselves open to being overrun from opposition forward lines that have speed and reaction who simply caught us out because of how big our defenders are and how slow we are to react and sort a situation out. Having Nakamba at the back is a must for me and he should remain at the back mostly throughout the game to give us speed if we need it. There have been many times where if Nakamba had of stayed behind in our half that we may of seen out a game here n there, spurs was a perfect example of that and how we was caught out just inside our half and our sluggish defenders just couldn't recover in time. 

In order for us to be better we have to start mopping up balls better, we can only do that if we are not throwing every man forward all game. We have seen attacks mount to nothing and players who should of stayed back were way out of position and because of this situation that has developed we have leaked a goal or two very stupidly.

I think Graham Souness was spot on when he said the reason the bottom teams are bottom is they are trying to play attractive football and its costing them there points and premier status. In reality I would rather us play something unattractive for a while and secure our spot next season. To me it makes no sense to play this type of football at a time like this, especially since we can't field the team we want or were missing the mark in terms of players achieving consistency or a run of wins.

This season without a doubt has seen us fail to outscore teams, isnt what this type of football is supposed to be about us coming out in some of our games as the team who scored the most?? I know it's a work in progress, alot of work needed for sure but what's more important here for us??? keep banging away at trying to out score opponents who clearly have a much better eleven than we do on the day or play smart football and grind some wins out to achieve our status as a premier club next season, I'd like to think it's the Latter. Surely there has to be balance in trying to make the Smith style fit and be successful?? This season though it just looks as though its Smith style fit and survival is the cost.

Knowing our luck is that the Smith style will properly fit into place as we get relegated, it will all be in place in the championship, only problem I see with that is I fear that the majority will be shouting Smith out by then.

I think Dougie Luiz, could be used in a strategic role to disrupt and be a nuisance like savage was, chipping away with niggles, and closing down the space.....in this game.

Dave-R......That is an extremely accurate post as I see the game....totally agree.

just to add further

Nakamba is new to this league, so resist wandering and stay in a zone that protects the back four, makelele style......when he is accustomed to this league, he can be more adventurous, now is not the time.

Knowing when to go and when to stay, is all about reading the game and he has been caught out too many times.....not saying he is a bad player, but playing too open too soon in his acclimatisation ,  has proved costly.....He needs to keep the shape and not be drawn out of position.....

you are right ,Graeme Souness is spot on and the clamour for a spectacle after Bruce has tripped us up Imo and the transition has been too soon.

once again Dave a well observed rendition of our issues.

ps I would just love a clean sheet against Sheff Utd....and not give Billy Sharp a sniff, if he is playing.

pps IIRC David Evans an academy kid was brought in to mark Johann cryuff in a friendly against Ajax....Cryuff never had a kick.....David snuffed him out man-to-man.Ron A also played a trump card with Fenton in that great cup final.....we need to do that at times, be aware of the opposition and out think them and subsequently out work them, particularly where it matters, the engine room.

we need a plan and avoid being predictable, especially in crucial games.

UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Dougie Luiz, could be used in a stategic role to disrupt and be a nuisance like savage was, chipping away with niggles, and closing down the space.....in this game.

He cannot tackle though, doesn't make any tackles and he has absolutely no engine what so ever. A regular sight being caught the wrong side of play and running in treacle trying to get back.

Still not really sure what kind of midfielder he is tbfh. Float about, have a long shot occasionally, give the ball away with stupid casual passes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Graham Souness is full of shit. He called us a yo-yo side.  What does that mean?

Keeping on topic. I think Luiz will do well in the next 10 games. I have this feeling.

Don't be too sensitive, he might be right......sticks & stones.....

I think Souness talks an awful lot of sense, has been there done it, got the tee-shirt.....if we keep doing what we are doing, we will be a yo yo club....I would suspect he means, too good to stay in the championship and not good enough for the Prem, so we are susceptible to going up and coming down?

If I was Dean Smith, I would say,Graeme Souness, would be well worth listening too.

Luiz will do well, when he has a meaningful role and causes the opposition a headache....He , as with Nakamba has to be effective, in what he is instructed to do not be nondescript or just make up the numbers.

Nothing will just come right......it has to be made to come right.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Don't be too sensitive, he might be right.

I think Souness talks an awful lot of sense, has been there done it, got the tee-shirt.....if we keep doing what we are doing, we will be a yo yo club....I would suspect he means, too good to stay in the championship and not good enough for the Prem, so we are susceptible to going up and coming down?

If I was Dean Smith, I would say,Graeme Souness, would be well worth listening too.

Luiz will do well, when he has a meaningful role and causes the opposition a headache....He , as with Nakamba has to be effective, in what he is instructed to do not be nondescript or just make up the numbers.

Nothing will just come right......it has to be made to come right.

I still think he’s full of shit. 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He cannot tackle though, doesn't make any tackles and he has absolutely no engine what so ever. A regular sight being caught the wrong side of play and running in treacle trying to get back.

Still not really sure what kind of midfielder he is tbfh. Float about, have a long shot occasionally, give the ball away with stupid casual passes.

I don't disagree.

But just being devils advocate for a minute ;

• Highly regarded by one of the Worlds best managers...allegedly would have kept him only for registration issues...so he must see something in him.
  • We paid £15 mill for him, quite a bit for such a young player, if we didn't see much in him....so why the poor return?
  • He is still only 21/22 and learning the english game.....are we not directing him right, just asking?
  • He came with a huge pedigree and high hopes followed, I think we all expected better to be honest and you are right in your appraisal.

However, maybe, just maybe he is being just thrown in with no specific objective or moreover, too many things to do, to no affect.

Maybe if he is given a specific task or tasks and just stick to them , he might be more effective.

I look at Nakamba and Luiz and cannot really see what their function is, I know what it supposed to be, but its not joined up or galvanised....i.e instead of trying to get him to be jack of all trades, try to get to be being a master of one, to start with and build on it.

bear in mind I have no idea, what the manager tells them to do.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still think he’s full of shit. 

Graeme Souness has been Arsenal's best observer/critic over the years.....He has virtually told them what to do, to be a Man Utd or Liverpool.....despite having a very good manager in Arsene Wenger, if he could have got the defensive side right, he would have joined the others.

No doubt some Arsenal fans will choose to be hurt by the criticism, others with a broader horizon, will hope their club is listening....and will agree with him.

What Alex Ferguson, Jurgen Klopp, and Pep has done is not a one off....its careful consideration of what a complete team looks like.....Ron Saunders and Brian Clough did the same.....they all built complete teams that did all the things required to win matches.They did it in different Era's and times and somethings were different in how they went about it....Pep had money to exploit, Ron didn't, he had a great talent spotter in Tony Barton and a great wisdom of the power of workrate.

I often wonder, if some of our younger fans would have received Ron S as quick as we older fans did and appreciated what he done, in its fullness, not just on the surface.....Make no mistake, I went to Rotterdam with the expectation of just a day out, such was the enormity of the task.....But when I came out after watching the game with enough pride to fill an oil tanker.....I knew the clean sheet did it......Without our ability to soak up all that pressure, we would have wilted, sure we was lucky, the harder you work, the luckier you get....but IMO that discipline won us that cup.....teaching the Germans discipline aye...that must be a first.

Graeme Souness, Mirrors the philosophy of Sir Ron, but hey!!......you are entitled to your call.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Graeme Souness has been Arsenal's best observer/critic over the years.....He has virtually told them what to do to be a Man Utd.....despite having a very good manager in Arsene Wenger, if he could have got the defensive side right, he would have joined the others.

No doubt some Arsenal fans will choose to be hurt by the criticism, others with a broader horizon, will hope their club is listening....and will agree with him.

What Alex Ferguson, Jurgen Klopp, and Pep has done is not a one off....its careful consideration of what a complete team looks like.....Ron Saunders and Brian Clough did the same.....they all built complete teams that did all the things required to win matches.They did it in different Era's and times and somethings were different in how they went about it....Pep had money to exploit, Ron didn't, he had a great talent spotter in Tony Barton and a great wisdom of the power of workrate.

I often wonder, if some of our younger fans would have received Ron S as quick as we older fans did and appreciated what he done, in its fullness, not just on the surface.....Make no mistake, I went to Rotterdam with the expectation of just a day out, such was the enormity of the task.....But when I came out after watching the game with enough pride to fill an oil tanker.....I knew the clean sheet did it......Without our ability to soak up all that pressure, we would have wilted, sure we was lucky, the harder you work, the luckier you get....but IMO that discipline won us that cup.....teaching the Germans discipline aye...that must be a first.

Graeme Souness, Mirrors the philosophy of Sir Ron, but hey!!......you are entitled to your call.

Still think he’s full of shit 😃 

Nah I know where you are coming from. It just bugs me when pundits don’t get their facts straight.  

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Still think he’s full of shit 😃 

Nah I know where you are coming from. It just bugs me when pundits don’t get their facts straight.  

well, We are a yo yo club is an opinion, not a fact......many pundits do like us and get frustrated with us , just like we do.

I think most of his facts he gets right.

Don't be hurt, by shots at us.....just be focused on us getting better.....store the hurt and our day will be more sweeter.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

This season has shown he's not yet ready to be a 90 minute player in premier league. I do think he's shown in halves and short periods of games he can be a threat, he was a big contributor to our 4 points v Brighton-Watford which could still be very crucial when everything is over and I thought he was superb first half v Spurs linking up with Grealish and of course should've scored.

Personally for the first two games I'd keep him on the bench and then start him from Newcastle onwards. I reckon Nakamba and McGinn either side on a regular basis will bring out the best in him.

If we get injuries and have to put out midfield trio of Drinkwater Luiz Hourihane then it won't and we we will be getting relegated as teams will just be running through that.

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

well, We are a yo yo club is an opinion, not a fact......many pundits do like us and get frustrated with us , just like we do.

I think most of his facts he gets right.

Don't be hurt, by shots at us.....just be focused on us getting better.....store the hurt and our day will be more sweeter.

I’m not hurt. I just think he’s full of shit!!

We will stay up and my man Luiz will play his part!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Give it a few seasons and the way were going that opinion will surely become Fact, up, down, up, down, YO YO club or Ground Hogs Day team if we keep trying to play attractive football over grinding results out then Souness is surely going to be football's Mystic Meg.

If it was one thing I'd beg Smith to do it is to do is best to keep us in this league but I'm not sure he is willing to drop sexy football in favour of survival. Really if Smith thought about it, sexy football could come later when weve established ourselves, dont know why we would go all topsy turvy, back to front.

Surely our Owners must have told Smith now to drop the sexy football for abit and concentrate on us being in this league next season, we can only break the cycle of being YO YO if we change it up and stop being so easy found out.

One thing I do hope is that sheff utd come out thinking were the same Villa from this season and completely underestimate us, yet our players have new tricks and it would be nice to see a complete new gameplay from Smith and Co that completely makes us look totally different. I think we have the perfect opportunity to surprise and pull the wool over clubs eyes, to show them that we are better and that weve learnt from our mistakes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's not a bloody philosophy. It shouldn't be that difficult to comprehend. 

He said: “I honestly think the break has been good for us mentally.

“I played with Douglas Luiz for the first half of the season before I got injured and he genuinely couldn’t understand a word I said.

“I don’t know if he spent the lockdown with his tutor online but fair play to him because it helps so much when he can understand ‘man on!’

“I don’t think they know what ‘man on’ is in Brazil.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-mcginn-shares-aston-villa-22186854

I would say based on previous midfielders we've had in recent PL times "man on" is a concept that's difficult to understand, carlos sanchez for one never got close to understanding it

14 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Give it a few seasons and the way were going that opinion will surely become Fact, up, down, up, down, YO YO club or Ground Hogs Day team if we keep trying to play attractive football over grinding results out then Souness is surely going to be football's Mystic Meg.

If it was one thing I'd beg Smith to do it is to do is best to keep us in this league but I'm not sure he is willing to drop sexy football in favour of survival. Really if Smith thought about it, sexy football could come later when weve established ourselves, dont know why we would go all topsy turvy, back to front.

Surely our Owners must have told Smith now to drop the sexy football for abit and concentrate on us being in this league next season, we can only break the cycle of being YO YO if we change it up and stop being so easy found out.

One thing I do hope is that sheff utd come out thinking were the same Villa from this season and completely underestimate us, yet our players have new tricks and it would be nice to see a complete new gameplay from Smith and Co that completely makes us look totally different. I think we have the perfect opportunity to surprise and pull the wool over clubs eyes, to show them that we are better and that weve learnt from our mistakes.

Very well put Dave.....I echo those sentiments.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Hope you are right, surely the break has allowed us to target our weaknesses and improve.

Now, that is a wishful thought.

All will be revealed......fingers, firmly crossed.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â