Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

he needs an older head sat alongside him talking and helping him through games, drinkwater was the right idea but wrong player, not sure McGinn is it either (or that he'd understand a **** word!)

Whelan and Jedinak were too old but that's the kind of player he needs, not necessarily better coaching or management but some on the pitch micro management in given situations just to calm him down and make better decisions

Spot on. He wants to be like McGinn, all action and popping up on edge of the box to score goals but in plenty of games we've needed the deepest two midfielders just to sit in and properly protect the defence for spells in games.

Spurs at home is a pretty good example of this. We were good first half and you had Luiz passing it well and linking up with Grealish to create plenty of openings in that first 30 minutes. Yet despite us being on top Dele Alli must've ran through and had 3-4 good chances in the first half alone.

He needs to learn midfield is both ways as I can't honestly believe in pre match DS took the responsibility of tracking Ali's runs to Drinkwater given he'd struggle to keep up with Grant Holt if he came out of retirement.

With a better more coaching and patience I think he'll get there.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I wouldn't say he has much goodwill, plenty of people are always quick to come on this thread and slag him off whereas to me someone like Nakamba seems to get off lightly when for example he was abysmal in the first half down at Bournemouth and was then dropped for the Spurs game.

This applies to both of them. They are way too casual in possession for my liking and when it's costing us goals in a relegation battle potential is just a nice thought. 

I don't think Luiz is any more guilty of it than our other midfielders, it just winds me up after I match when I see people praising a flick ignoring that he did 4 others, with plenty of time and space, and gave the ball straight to the opposition.

I'm not sure I've seen Nakamba get bigged up more. When someone speaks in support of him it's normally because he is the only midfielder we have seen as a more traditional DM so it's arguing more for a role than him specifically.

It's not surprising Luiz gets criticised more, he's played in 3 times as many league games and this place is rarely more active than when we've just been battered!

• Like 1

When we was creaming ourselves, when he eventually signed, i was expecting big things from him.

He has time on his side, but where the apraissals of him come from god only knows.

The hype some of these players get when we are linked with them, is worrying.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

This applies to both of them. They are way too casual in possession for my liking and when it's costing us goals in a relegation battle potential is just a nice thought. 

I don't think Luiz is any more guilty of it than our other midfielders, it just winds me up after I match when I see people praising a flick ignoring that he did 4 others, with plenty of time and space, and gave the ball straight to the opposition.

I'm not sure I've seen Nakamba get bigged up more. When someone speaks in support of him it's normally because he is the only midfielder we have seen as a more traditional DM so it's arguing more for a role than him specifically.

It's not surprising Luiz gets criticised more, he's played in 3 times as many league games and this place is rarely more active than when we've just been battered!

My thoughts entirely.

In my view, Luiz lacks urgency and sharpness on the ball far too casual and sclerotic....he is not a DM in my view.....He also lacks the physical threat to thrive in that position.....but many of our midfielders are samey and the same observations can be levelled at them.

Edited by TRO

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

My thoughts entirely.

In my view, Luiz lacks urgency and sharpness on the ball far too casual and sclerotic....he is not a DM in my view.....He also lacks the physical threat to thrive in that position.....but many of our midfielders are samey and the same observations can be levelled at them.

Someone had a new word calendar for christmas

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

My thoughts entirely.

I agree for the most part and have said for a while ( not just this season  ) we lack a big physical CM. We lack the ability to bully teams which you need when battling to stay up.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I agree for the most part and have said for a while ( not just this season  ) we lack a big physical CM. We lack the ability to bully teams which you need when battling to stay up.

What we needed was the midfield version of Mings to sit in front of the back 4. Nakamba and Luiz both aren't good enough for this level. 
Luiz may turn out ok in the long run but he's been piss poor for me (a couple of worldies and that pass to Grealish aside) for most of the season. God knows where the hype comes from tbh. He's no better than Ashley Westwood. 

Our failings in central midfield are a massive part of the reason we are where we are in the table. Teams have walked through us all season. It's been embarrassing at times. 

I would hope they look at all the players to see if there is anybody that could play the DM role because the current midfielders arent working.  Maybe another player from another position my have some presence there as a temporary measure.  I cant see a utility player in our squad though, unless somebody else can.  Milner does it so effectively and while I'm not expecting somebody of that quality, there must be another player that can play another position..........anybody 🙏  Fernandinho stepped back from midfield to defence....maybe we have somebody in defence that can sit in midfield defensively (I could joke that they havent been that good defensively anyway 🤣).  I dont know, just worry how weak our midfield is outside of McGinn and maybe we need to try something different.

An example I look at is Fred at United , look awful for them and a really bad signing for a good while but now he is up to speed he is integral to the team.Our issue we got too many players who needed time to adjust.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nabby said:

An example I look at is Fred at United , look awful for them and a really bad signing for a good while but now he is up to speed he is integral to the team.Our issue we got too many players who needed time to adjust.

Yep, we brought too many "projects" in the summer.  They maybe great in a year or so but that didnt help a battle that we were to have this season.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

When we was creaming ourselves, when he eventually signed, i was expecting big things from him.

He has time on his side, but where the apraissals of him come from god only knows.

The hype some of these players get when we are linked with them, is worrying.

I watched a few games of Girona last season and I'd heard Man. City had him so was interested to see what he was like, can't say he really stood out and he was in and out of a team who eventually got relegated (sound similar?) He also played a decent amount in their back 3 rather than midfield which lead me to think we might be playing a back 3 from August given all the CBs we were signing.

People just got excited because he was Brazilian and we've had hardly any play for us in our history. And what Guardiola said.

That said I've seen enough glimmers to suggest he's worth keeping and nuturing as I do think he'll be pretty good in 12-18 months time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yep, we brought too many "projects" in the summer.  They maybe great in a year or so but that didnt help a battle that we were to have this season.

There was really no other way to do it. The aim was always to stay up by the skin of our teeth and come out the other end a stronger, more acclimated team. 

This is a quote from Purslow speaking last summer... “There’s no interest in flirting with the catastrophe of relegation that the club has had to live with for the last three years, so we need to make really good decisions and add players who really improve us.”

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Nabby said:

You would think it is stone blind obvious, but aparrently not.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I watched a few games of Girona last season and I'd heard Man. City had him so was interested to see what he was like, can't say he really stood out and he was in and out of a team who eventually got relegated (sound similar?) He also played a decent amount in their back 3 rather than midfield which lead me to think we might be playing a back 3 from August given all the CBs we were signing.

People just got excited because he was Brazilian and we've had hardly any play for us in our history. And what Guardiola said.

That said I've seen enough glimmers to suggest he's worth keeping and nuturing as I do think he'll be pretty good in 12-18 months time.

Well we have heard what SAF has said about players over the years, they say anything, that suits them.

I hope he does come good.

41 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There was really no other way to do it. The aim was always to stay up by the skin of our teeth and come out the other end a stronger, more acclimated team. 

I agree for 90% of the players we needed to buy but just wished a couple had some experience/solidity.  I don’t know who but just off the top of my head Cahill instead of Engels. I don’t know if that would’ve even be possible so just an example but there must have been some options just out of one or two.  

I was delighted with our summer business but did wish some weren’t projects and for an additional striker.  Probably would’ve been less disappointed now if one more or two of our projects would’ve just had a bit more early impact but at best, most are longer term projects from Hause, Konsa, Nakamba, Luis and Wes to name just a few.....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, useless said:

This is a quote from Purslow speaking last summer... “There’s no interest in flirting with the catastrophe of relegation that the club has had to live with for the last three years, so we need to make really good decisions and add players who really improve us.”

Yeah I remember Purslow saying that a couple of times...almost have fooled. Should've known better!

They've made bad decisions in my humble opinion, we really needed some PL experience like Danny Drinkwater....I'll get me coat 😉

15 hours ago, nick76 said:

I agree for 90% of the players we needed to buy but just wished a couple had some experience/solidity.  I don’t know who but just off the top of my head Cahill instead of Engels. I don’t know if that would’ve even be possible so just an example but there must have been some options just out of one or two.  

I was delighted with our summer business but did wish some weren’t projects and for an additional striker.  Probably would’ve been less disappointed now if one more or two of our projects would’ve just had a bit more early impact but at best, most are longer term projects from Hause, Konsa, Nakamba, Luis and Wes to name just a few.....

My main issue was deciding not to loan any players, I just thought it restricted our options needlessly.  FWIW I don't think Cahill would have left London and if he did we would probably have to make him the biggest paid player at the club on a long contract when he is in his 30s and had barely played in a long time, therefore a big risk.  You then factor in the price of Mings and Targett as players we were buying from other PL teams and weren't even regulars and we would burn through the money so quick we would have half the number of players we need to fill the squad.  Obviously Drinkwater is a bad example of a loan but last summer I think there would have been better choices out there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

My main issue was deciding not to loan any players, I just thought it restricted our options needlessly.  FWIW I don't think Cahill would have left London and if he did we would probably have to make him the biggest paid player at the club on a long contract when he is in his 30s and had barely played in a long time, therefore a big risk.  You then factor in the price of Mings and Targett as players we were buying from other PL teams and weren't even regulars and we would burn through the money so quick we would have half the number of players we need to fill the squad.  Obviously Drinkwater is a bad example of a loan but last summer I think there would have been better choices out there.

Yeah I agree, I dont mind loans that make us better.  I hate that sometimes that they can then be to the benefit for another team long term but we wouldnt have gotten to the PL without Tammy's goals as an example.  Obviously wasnt just Tammy but a lot of other players but Tammy's goals was a major factor because of scoring them and putting the fear of god into defences that allowed other players to play.  Yes now he's a regular at Chelsea and scoring goals so we have helped them but it helped us a lot.  So yeah in the right circumstances I'm more than happy for loan players but as you say the club arent.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Â